News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Thoughts about 67 steering wheels

Started by BGlover67, February 08, 2018, 01:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67350#1242

67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

427heaven

Me likes medium to dark tones! ;) Question is who is recommended for such activities..... = Fair price,quality finished product, and lots of happy customers! Hopefully such a place exists.

Quote from: 67350#1242 on February 10, 2018, 07:23:53 PM
1242 has a medium to dark tone
.    Is the horn button silver colored or is it just the photo?

67350#1242

Horn is  gold - lighting/exposure make it look lighter.

Quote from: 67350#1242 on February 11, 2018, 09:10:39 AM
Horn is  gold - lighting/exposure make it look lighter.

Did you restore it yourself? If so, can you share your recipe?  😎

67350#1242

I restored the wheel myself back around 1990.  The wheel wasn't in too bad of shape but varnish was wearing through and kind of dull, grimy looking with a small crack along the grain on the right side.  Spokes and hub had several fine scratches in the brushed stainless.  Horn button likewise with fine scratches in the plastic.  As I recall, the wheel had the same general color as seen - not real blonde or real dark to begin with. 
I think most anyone with patience and hand skills should be able to refinish a wheel that is basically sound to begin with without getting into too much trouble or ruining it.
Basic steps would be stripping, repairing any cracks, light sanding, staining if desired, then applying the finish coat.
As I recall I didn't use any chemical stripper - just fine sandpaper to strip the topcoat. (I may have rubbed lightly with laquer thinner).
I used regular wood glue injected into the crack and drew it closed with several wire ties - allowed to dry then sanded smooth.  For bigger cracks that can't be pulled together I would suggest a stainable wood filler in a darker shade so as to blend with the grain.  If you have separation or cracks in the seam that runs around the backside a matching dark stained wood filler could be used here also. I didn't have that problem.
Once I got down to the raw wood I wiped on a coat of Minwax wood stain, let it sit a little while then wiped it off. At this point you can tell pretty much how it will end up looking. If not dark enough you can repeat the stain. Don't let it dry on the surface just want to penetrate the pores in the grain.   You may want to practice on some scrap wood with different colored stains to get the tone you want.  I think I used a walnut tint that was pretty dark.  Once dry I may have gone over it again with very fine paper to further highlight the lighter areas.  A little back and forth until you're happy with the look.
I just used a spray on clear gloss polyurethane for a topcoat with 400 wet/dry sanding between coats. 2-3 coats, let dry then color sand and polish out any dust, etc.
I understand that a varnish will impart more of a honey tone to the wood and you may want to use this instead if the look isn't rich enough.  Mine looked good enough with the poly.  Coat over the black spoke tips as well.
After 25+ years the wheel still looks great!
Kurt.

Kurt, thank you for taking the time to share that!  🍻

Shelby_r_b

Here are 2 pics of my steering wheel post restoration.

Side note:  it's amazing how much lighting can affect color perception of the wood.
Nothing beats a classic!

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

427heaven

Thanks for a very easy to follow explanation of things. I will try these steps myself, seems I cant get into much trouble with them and if not satisfied with my wood restoration skills I might look for some help. A genuine thank you from someone that has done it to someone that needs it done... Two thumbs up!!! ;)

67350#1242

QuoteThanks for a very easy to follow explanation of things. I will try these steps myself, seems I cant get into much trouble with them and if not satisfied with my wood restoration skills I might look for some help. A genuine thank you from someone that has done it to someone that needs it done... Two thumbs up!!! ;)

Very happy to share - and if you need any tips regarding spokes or horn button refreshing would be glad to help.   :)
Kurt.

texas swede

This is the steering wheel in my car #1317 located in Sweden. I have owned her for over 40 years now.
Steering wheel has never been removed.
Texas Swede

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: texas swede on February 12, 2018, 09:29:12 AM
This is the steering wheel in my car #1317 located in Sweden. I have owned her for over 40 years now.
Steering wheel has never been removed.
Texas Swede

Nice shot!

It looks like the passenger's side dash emblem is non-embossed - is that correct?

Very cool!
Nothing beats a classic!