Author Topic: Replacement carbs  (Read 5220 times)

charlie D

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Replacement carbs
« on: March 21, 2019, 03:20:04 PM »
My GT500 has the original carbs. They have been "rebuilt" a couple of times with mostly OK results. They leak again. I have the dreaded vapor lock and based on recommendations from this forum have acquired the spacers and hardware to reduce the vapor lock issue. Since I am taking off the carbs, I am wondering why not install replacement carbs? I can store the originals so they won't go missing for folks wanting those. Has anyone used a more recent carb setup and, if so, what have you used?
Charlie D

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement carbs
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 04:17:02 PM »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 04:41:21 PM »
Same new BJ/BK carbs but $100s cheaper -
http://carlsfordparts.com/main.html?carbs.html~content

A couple of thoughts -
*The new carbs would allow you to put away your original carbs so if theft is a concern, that is a plus.
*The vapor lock most likely will be present no matter old or new carbs unfortunately.
*Do you feel you could trouble-shoot your carbs with the help of the forum?
*If not, I would highly recommend pulling them off the car and sending to Joe Bunetic. Joe has many satisfied customers on this website and did a great job rebuilding my BJ/BK set. (618) 402-5062 to reach Joe.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 04:44:42 PM »
Charlie- There are many variables to your question, if you are an original guy rebuild what you have, if you need looks but not so much performance get the repops, if you want to go fast without problems or a high invoice sheet go with Edelbrocks. They come in 650 cfm or 750cfm if your engine needs that much, for approx. 700 dollars you can be trouble free, go like hell, and be happy with your ride. Good Luck. ;)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 06:50:13 PM »
You could put a pair of 1850's on there too.

Edelbrock's? Geese! Who let that guy in here? ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:13:44 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 08:02:13 PM »
Charlie- There are many variables to your question, if you are an original guy rebuild what you have, if you need looks but not so much performance get the repops, if you want to go fast without problems or a high invoice sheet go with Edelbrocks. They come in 650 cfm or 750cfm if your engine needs that much, for approx. 700 dollars you can be trouble free, go like hell, and be happy with your ride. Good Luck. ;)

Are you saying the repops won't match the original carb's performance? Why not?

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 11:33:33 PM »
They will be the same performance wise, but for the cost some people might not want to spend that kind of coin on a non original set of carbs. They look original until you look closer, if its performance he is after there are many possibilities. I like Edelbrocks they are a reproduction of the vintage Carters which Cobras, Shelbys, Hemis, and everybody else used. They are economical, easy to tune, make great out of the box performance so whats not to like. The most bang for your buck... A few hundred $ VS a few thousand $ the choice is his.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 07:26:50 AM »
The pain of the Holley's is part of the experience of the journey. Carters are mechanical secondaries. Holley's are vacuum.

That was looked at in 1963 and the Carters were largely dismissed.

You can go on a real safari with real life threats or you can go on a simulated one in Disney World and not even get your feet wet? Owning and using one of these cars is hardly a virtual reality presentation. 
 ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:32:45 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 01:03:47 PM »
Carters are mechanical secondaries.
 ;D

Although there were special applications (mostly racing) were Carter produced a truly mechanical secondary carburetor, I believe others in the WCFB and AFB series generally used a "weighted air valve" or in the AVS series used a "spring tension air valve" to control air volume ingress rates thru the secondaries, even though the throttle blades may be opened.    :)

Scott.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:56:52 PM by pbf777 »

charlie D

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 01:13:28 PM »
At this point in my life I am a cruiser, not a racer. I want to keep the dual quad configuration because it is part of the character of the GT500. I am not someone who will erase the potential for originality, so change without destruction is OK with me. This car sat for long periods of time, then had very limited use. So I am sorting it out to make it a more reliable weekend, go get an ice cream, local drives cruiser. The repop Holleys look good, but they are expensive. I also don't like a lot of chrome shiny stuff, so the polished carbs tend to turn me off. From what I have read on the forum, the spacers will definitely help with the vapor lock, so that issue should be minimized. So any suggestions for something less costly than the repops and without the high polish would be great. If you have experience with this, even better. Thanks for any input.
Charlie D

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 01:30:58 PM »
At this point in my life I am a cruiser, not a racer. I want to keep the dual quad configuration because it is part of the character of the GT500. I am not someone who will erase the potential for originality, so change without destruction is OK with me. This car sat for long periods of time, then had very limited use. So I am sorting it out to make it a more reliable weekend, go get an ice cream, local drives cruiser. The repop Holleys look good, but they are expensive. I also don't like a lot of chrome shiny stuff, so the polished carbs tend to turn me off. From what I have read on the forum, the spacers will definitely help with the vapor lock, so that issue should be minimized. So any suggestions for something less costly than the repops and without the high polish would be great. If you have experience with this, even better. Thanks for any input.
Charlie D
Sounds like rebuilding or at least regasketing the originals would be the most cost effective solution. Regardless of what is under the hood it could be stolen if you park the car unattended for long periods in a security . That kind of careless care taking is not typical for Shelby enthusiast's.  Just my opinion .Best of luck with what ever you decide.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 02:04:00 PM »
Carters are mechanical secondaries.
 ;D

Although there were special applications (mostly racing) were Carter produced a truly mechanical secondary carburetor, I believe others in the WCFB and AFB series generally used a "weighted air valve" or in the AVS series used a "spring tension air valve" to control air volume ingress rates thru the secondaries, even though the throttle blades may opened.    :)

Scott.

You need the whomp of the vacuum secondaries opening as part of the character of the car. Take the original engine out and put in a Cheve if you're afraid of it being stolen.

Never marry a pretty woman. Marry an ugly one. If she runs away...who cares?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

rraceme

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 02:25:31 PM »
Shelby Doug & Bob Gaines- I'm at work ....... having a tough day. While at lunch looked at the SAAC forum and your comments are funny + helpful. Keep up the good work! thanks for making me laugh!   Fred

Edelbrock's? Geese! Who let that guy in here?  (that is comedy gold!) 
SFM 6S2227

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 04:50:13 PM »
Shelby Doug & Bob Gaines- I'm at work ....... having a tough day. While at lunch looked at the SAAC forum and your comments are funny + helpful. Keep up the good work! thanks for making me laugh!   Fred

Edelbrock's? Geese! Who let that guy in here?  (that is comedy gold!)

;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Scode67FB

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 02:49:37 AM »
There's a pair of repop BJBK carbs for sale on the FE Forum (www.fordFE.com) for a very good price. Not Mine.