Author Topic: 1967 Shelby GT350 Coil Placement  (Read 5024 times)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 Shelby GT350 Coil Placement
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 02:22:09 PM »
The coil goes on the intake on a smog equipped GT350 regardless of if AC or not. It is mounted in a special added threaded hole for that purpose extra on the S7MS and the S2MS large number intake.

Here is an image of the intake (S2MS version) that Bob is referring to.  The hole with the red arrow and the red circle is the one that the coil would be attached to.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:38:46 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 02:32:06 PM »
Just curious as I’ve never seen one, how effective was /is the A/C in these cars?

You need to wear a jacket, gloves and earmuffs. Your eyebrows will ice up too. I like it 'cause it's like cryogenics. Keeps you looking younger.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 07:16:56 PM »
Just curious as I’ve never seen one, how effective was /is the A/C in these cars?

You need to wear a jacket, gloves and earmuffs. Your eyebrows will ice up too. I like it 'cause it's like cryogenics. Keeps you looking younger.  ;)

+ 1 brrrrrrr
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 10:42:48 AM »
Another question: I noticed that the top of the smog filter on the pictured cars is way different than the one on my car. It looks like the cap should have a long tube and a hose connection to a valve on the passenger side of the firewall (which my car has the valve and a piece of cut hose that sound be coming from the top of the smog filter).

Not all the tops used for the top of the thermactor filter canister had the snorkel - the vast majority of originals I've seen didn't have them - only the elbow. Would guess that many we see today have systems built from parts collected rather than ones that came with the car originally. There is a possibility that there was at least one other configuration but until I find another car that matches than example would only confuse the subject and its tough enough all ready :)

The hose from the top and bottom go to the smog pump and to the valve

Also, is it hard to find the correct smog filter cap?

Either of the versions are a pain to find. They were used on Mustangs sometimes with the elbow fitting capped off or even modified (folded over) Also check (ya like that is going to be any easier) for big 6 cylinder applications with Thermactor systems ;)

Picture of a non-snorkel version we typically see/find on 500s and 350s that year.

Here’s the question:  do I need to do anything else to the smog system to render it inoperable,

If only the hose from the top nipple of the valve is not connected to the intake or top of the air filter and everything else is hooked up the system will not be inoperable. Pump (if not frozen, broken or damaged) will pump fresh air into the heads as designed.

Not sure why you don't want it to operate as Ford designed it (HO difference is around 2% - no where near what the AC will be pulling down once on).  You can just leave off the belt but you will get hot exhaust air creeping possibly of the injector manifold and the car may not run very well without the system operating and some additional work. 

Hope this helps

Hi Jeff - many thanks as always for the insight!  :D

The only reason for rendering the thermactor inoperable was based on feedback I received stating that the thermactor system didn't offer any real value and only cut horsepower.  And, good point, regarding the AC impact.  I remember hearing and seeing a difference once the AC was kicked on last week.

Thanks again!
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »
The coil goes on the intake on a smog equipped GT350 regardless of if AC or not. It is mounted in a special added threaded hole for that purpose extra on the S7MS and the S2MS large number intake.

Here is an image of the intake (S2MS version) that Bob is referring to.  The hole with the red arrow and the red circle is the one that the coil would be attached to.

This pictures is perfect - thanks, JD!!  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 01:40:24 PM »
Here are two pictures of my current smog pump air filter cap.  I'm guessing this isn't correct based on the lack of the elbow.  Is this correct or incorrect?  Sorry, I know the pictures aren't the greatest.  :(

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 02:01:45 PM »
Super jealous on the A/C thing!!! I have a black on black 4 speed big block and driving that thing on hot days in Los Angeles even with the windows down is “somewhat less than pleasant”...Enjoy your arctic splendor!!!LOL

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 02:44:42 PM »
Here are two pictures of my current smog pump air filter cap.  I'm guessing this isn't correct based on the lack of the elbow.  Is this correct or incorrect?  Sorry, I know the pictures aren't the greatest.  :(

Thanks!
The filter can top that has a 90degree elbow or the one with the 90degree plus a tall tube chimney are the two styles I have seen on 67 Hipos .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 03:41:21 PM »
Super jealous on the A/C thing!!! I have a black on black 4 speed big block and driving that thing on hot days in Los Angeles even with the windows down is “somewhat less than pleasant”...Enjoy your arctic splendor!!!LOL

The A/C systems do work well on R12. R134 isn't as cold so you don't need the ski googles.

Air temps at the registers with R12 is 34f. Normally with R134 expect about 40-41f. 

These cars were designed before rear seat ducting was seriously considered so if you should have an unfortunate inhabitant of the rear seat, expect some complaints.

What happens is that you will turn down the fan because the front will be cold but in the sun the rear is going to be a little sweaty.

They also are going to work better (quieter) with the stock engine cams.

My first two cars were convertibles. I found that the best combination was a white interior, white top and with A/C. I'd drive all the time with the top down and A/C on with all the registers pointed at me.

Black seats needed a good shearling cover to keep you from getting seriously burned from the heated black upholstery. A black top needs a really good insulation blanket. You can fry an egg on one in the sun. They get hot.

White cars do have an advantage.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 03:48:02 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!