News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1964 Illinois license plate numbering?

Started by CharlesTurner, March 20, 2019, 10:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlesTurner

Does anyone know what the numbering system was for 1964 Illinois passenger car license plates?  I see some with 6 number, some with 2 letters 4 numbers, etc..

Also, was it a requirement to run front and rear plates on cars?

Anyone have any they want to sell?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Dizzy

Try Ebay. Found quite a few there.Yes,they had front plate also and required.You will need to find matched pair. Not too hard to find NOS at local Illinois swaps.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Dizzy on March 21, 2019, 07:43:15 AM
Try Ebay. Found quite a few there.Yes,they had front plate also and required.You will need to find matched pair. Not too hard to find NOS at local Illinois swaps.

Thanks.  Yes, looked there first.  My question was more surrounding the numbering system and if there was a certain format that applied to passenger cars.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

roddster

Here is what I know.  Lifelong Illinois resident.
They started with just numbers, starting at #1 and going up.  When the numbering went into the hundreds of thousands, there would be a space between the third number and the fourth.  For instance: 289 306
Yes, the Secretary of state had a sample plate labled 000 000.

The lettered plates started at AA(space)0 (zero) and counted up.  Every time the numbers got to 9999 then it went AB 0 and so fourth.   I don't recall they had special plates or anything you could order.  You could request your initials and a number like mine would be RT 3618

shlb69

CharlesTurner

Quote from: shlb69 on March 21, 2019, 08:31:14 PM
I should have a 64 Ill plate somewhere

PM me if you find and want to sell.  All the ones on ebay are rusty or damaged.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bossbill

If you're not using the plates for the street you could get a set of custom plates made:
https://www.licenseplates.tv/

Better still, you could encode something clever into your plate
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

68blk500c

Quote from: CharlesTurner on March 21, 2019, 09:39:53 PM
Quote from: shlb69 on March 21, 2019, 08:31:14 PM
I should have a 64 Ill plate somewhere

PM me if you find and want to sell.  All the ones on ebay are rusty or damaged.

PM sent.