News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

FOUND! 1967 Shelby GT350 Barn Find - 1 of 1

Started by Shelby_r_b, March 22, 2019, 09:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capecodmustang.com

Actually she was hot....

Probably 20 years old....

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on April 13, 2019, 01:54:32 PM
Actually she was hot....

Let's just say that this particular piece of documentation didn't go to the new owner... ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

shelbydoug

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on April 13, 2019, 02:35:34 PM
Quote from: capecodmustang.com on April 13, 2019, 01:54:32 PM
Actually she was hot....

Let's just say that this particular piece of documentation didn't go to the new owner... ;D

;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelby_r_b

Here's a shot of the rear end tag, as well as the transmission tag.  :)
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

I remember helping judge the 67s (I carried the clipboard  ;D) at SAAC 42.  During inspection of the first car, Bob Gaines pointed out that there should be thick safety wire on the front brake calipers.  Almost all the cars had points deducted (in fact, I think they all did) for either not having safety wire at all, or having thin gauged safety wire.

Well, its cool to see the real thing in person.  And, Bob was right - it almost looks like bailing wire.
Nothing beats a classic!

roddster

I'm not buying the "all 67 Shelbys had the front capliers safety wired" thing.  Yes, I got busted for not having it but, the original caliper mountting bolts were not drilled for saftey wire.  AND THEN, my unrestored 67 GTA built 3 weeks later has no holes in the caliper mpunting bolts either.  Nobody when servicing the brakes was deliberatly changing the caliper bolts back then.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: roddster on April 30, 2019, 09:44:19 AM
  I'm not buying the "all 67 Shelbys had the front capliers safety wired" thing.  Yes, I got busted for not having it but, the original caliper mountting bolts were not drilled for saftey wire.  AND THEN, my unrestored 67 GTA built 3 weeks later has no holes in the caliper mpunting bolts either.  Nobody when servicing the brakes was deliberatly changing the caliper bolts back then.

Interesting.  I wonder if the brake caliper safety wire was part of an early 67 versus later 67 change.  I don't recall if #22 had safety wire holes or not, and of course, #2666 is a later car.

Thanks!  :)
Nothing beats a classic!

shelbydoug

I'd guess that is a production line installation. I'd speculate that few mechanics would replace the wire while doing a brake job on the car.

As a teen I learned never to  ask about something like that. I got yelled at "bull shi.!" too many times and had too many wrenches thrown at me.

It's my own fault for hanging too closely to the think tank societies of the era?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

That is sdome pretty thick stuff used for that safety wire. Maybe its just the zoom or angle but agreed bailing wire with the coating is what was used. 

Not to take us too far off the OPs focus and thread but here some other 67 San Jose safety wire examples from

December 66  Early caliper style

Approx Jan 67

April 67

Likely have more - these were just handy and in the Safety wire side directory of the picture collection

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on April 30, 2019, 01:27:43 PM
That is sdome pretty thick stuff used for that safety wire. Maybe its just the zoom or angle but agreed bailing wire with the coating is what was used. 

Not to take us too far off the OPs focus and thread but here some other 67 San Jose safety wire examples from

December 66  Early caliper style

Approx Jan 67

April 67

Likely have more - these were just handy and in the Safety wire side directory of the picture collection
That thickness looks typical to me. Many times I have judges cars that restorers will use a thinner gauge stainless safety wire that is both the wrong finish and different gauge.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on April 30, 2019, 12:11:16 AM
I remember helping judge the 67s (I carried the clipboard  ;D) at SAAC 42.  During inspection of the first car, Bob Gaines pointed out that there should be thick safety wire on the front brake calipers.  Almost all the cars had points deducted (in fact, I think they all did) for either not having safety wire at all, or having thin gauged safety wire.

Well, its cool to see the real thing in person.  And, Bob was right - it almost looks like bailing wire.
Ruben, a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous if taken out of context. In the case where you helped judge for example there were no very early cars being judged . That is why the safety wire was expected . The bolts with empty holes was another easy tell  ;) . The safety wire was a early late thing in 67. The bolts transitioned from those that were solid like 65/66 to others that had the holes for safety wire. You better be careful because it reads like roddsters head was getting ready to explode. ;D We wouldn't want that to happen and even though he is a pain in the behind I would miss him none the less.  :D  :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bossbill

The car in my sig has, I believe,  the original assembly line calipers, single crimp hoses and  "square cutout and round hole" rotors.
The left side has "no-hole" bolts. They have the multi-cuts in the head.
The right side has "multi-hole" bolts and no safety wire.

I can't find definitive data on K/H date codes for 67 calipers.

Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossbill on April 30, 2019, 02:36:29 PM
The car in my sig has, I believe,  the original assembly line calipers, single crimp hoses and  "square cutout and round hole" rotors.
The left side has "no-hole" bolts. They have the multi-cuts in the head.
The right side has "multi-hole" bolts and no safety wire.

I can't find definitive data on K/H date codes for 67 calipers.
Given where the car is in production I would error on the side of caution and match up the calipers with the typical safety wire designed bolt if it were my car.  At this time missing safety wire or incorrect fasteners on a later production 67 car would be a deduction in concours until more definitive information is brought to light to suggest otherwise. Of course anomalous things are looked at with back up reasonable back up documentation on a case by case basis.

Bossbill

Even though I'm fairly certain it came this way it's an interesting oddity that cannot be proven.

I'm fairly used to the refrain of "great claims require great proof" so I'll punt and find a few more bolts and safety wire them.

See, I am learning ...
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bossbill on April 30, 2019, 09:48:27 PM
Even though I'm fairly certain it came this way it's an interesting oddity that cannot be proven.

I'm fairly used to the refrain of "great claims require great proof" so I'll punt and find a few more bolts and safety wire them.

See, I am learning ...

Here's the problem. That's not how safety wire is supposed to be installed. In fact, every case that I have seen that is original, the wiring does nothing. So really all you are doing is appeasing an audience by reinstalling it.

You can actually encourage the bolt to loosen by installing it backwards. Bolts pulling counterclockwise against each other will loosen.

Technically, if you install the safety wire correctly, it should be a points deduction. So it's another one of those dilemmas.  Actually I knew him. Sal Dilemma. We went to HS together.  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!