News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

FOUND! 1967 Shelby GT350 Barn Find - 1 of 1

Started by Shelby_r_b, March 22, 2019, 09:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

^^

It's funny - the pigtail on the safety wire end is really well twisted; yet, the installation of the safety wire is almost useless on #2666. 

That safety wire job would have NEVER passed inspection when I was an aircraft mechanic in the Air Force!  ;)
Nothing beats a classic!

roddster

Actually, installing the safety wire is one of the most fun operations I have every done on my Shelby (except dumping the clutch on the last yellow at the strip).  Harbor freight has the spinner tool, and now I have to go on a world wide search for the correct gauge and type of wire....My head exploded long ago.

Richstang

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on April 30, 2019, 11:55:55 AM
Quote from: roddster on April 30, 2019, 09:44:19 AM
  I'm not buying the "all 67 Shelbys had the front capliers safety wired" thing.  Yes, I got busted for not having it but, the original caliper mountting bolts were not drilled for saftey wire.  AND THEN, my unrestored 67 GTA built 3 weeks later has no holes in the caliper mpunting bolts either.  Nobody when servicing the brakes was deliberatly changing the caliper bolts back then.

Interesting.  I wonder if the brake caliper safety wire was part of an early 67 versus later 67 change.  I don't recall if #22 had safety wire holes or not, and of course, #2666 is a later car.

Thanks!  :)

I'm by no mean the right person to take a stance here, but I have to wonder if this was a safely recall or a service bulletin notice to dealers. It might explain some of the safety wire size differences and why some cars have it while others don't. I would agree that a service tech would not likely replace caliper bolts while doing a brake pads/rotors replacement, back then or today, unless directed to do so. Were there any other Ford cars known to have this done in the late 60's or early 70's? 
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Shelby_r_b

Here's a picture of the Power Steering Pulley - looks to be stamped "7AC"
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

Also, it looks like the upper control arms could be original, as they are riveted (the waffle imprint) versus bolted / screwed.
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on May 01, 2019, 02:10:29 PM
Also, it looks like the upper control arms could be original, as they are riveted (the waffle imprint) versus bolted / screwed.

Uh nope. Those are the later three rivet rather than the four rivet version that was originally used in 67. So the shape and design of the whole thing are different
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

1967 eight barrel

All 67's I have seen have holes and a hollow head for safety wire. Be sure to use stainless wire.  I guess it would be fine if you were doing two calipers, but when you have to do it on all the rocker covers on a Pratt & Whitney R2800 it's no fun I assure you!  ;D ;D

J_Speegle

Quote from: Richstang on May 01, 2019, 11:35:49 AM
I'm by no mean the right person to take a stance here, but I have to wonder if this was a safely recall or a service bulletin notice to dealers. It might explain some of the safety wire size differences and why some cars have it while others don't. ..............

Not aware of one. Have lists from the National data base as well as a collection of Ford campaigns. Sure it was a safety issue so it would be the first thing multiple inspectors would have checked over and over. Ford claimed one in ten line employees was an inspector.

And no fancy safety wire pliers back in the day ;)  Jagged ends will grab any rag or cloth in the area and tear the skin if given a chance   
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: J_Speegle on May 01, 2019, 04:47:31 PM
Quote from: Shelby_r_b on May 01, 2019, 02:10:29 PM

Uh nope. Those are the later three rivet rather than the four rivet version that was originally used in 67. So the shape and design of the whole thing are different

You learn something new every day.  Thanks!  :)

...the silly side of me wanted to respond with "Uh yup!"  But, I know better  ;)
Nothing beats a classic!

George Schalk

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on April 30, 2019, 12:11:16 AM
I remember helping judge the 67s (I carried the clipboard  ;D) at SAAC 42.  During inspection of the first car, Bob Gaines pointed out that there should be thick safety wire on the front brake calipers.  Almost all the cars had points deducted (in fact, I think they all did) for either not having safety wire at all, or having thin gauged safety wire.

Well, its cool to see the real thing in person.  And, Bob was right - it almost looks like bailing wire.
It is clear that the brakes were worked on at some point especially after seeing the control arms have been replaced with more current service replacement arms.  I noticed, but didn't want to say anything that the brake hose in the picture is a double crimp replacement as opposed to the original single crimp and it also appears that the spindle may be painted black, which is supposed to be unpainted from the factory.  I would bet the safety wire is an old coat hanger someone used when putting it back together.

It looks like the power steering hose has been replaced with a newer double crimp also.  Replacement parts and repairs are expected since the car is 52 years old.  It is rare to see a completely untouched car now a days. 

Bob Gaines

I remember helping judge the 67s (I carried the clipboard  ;D) at SAAC 42.  During inspection of the first car, Bob Gaines pointed out that there should be thick safety wire on the front brake calipers.  Almost all the cars had points deducted (in fact, I think they all did) for either not having safety wire at all, or having thin gauged safety wire.

Well, its cool to see the real thing in person.  And, Bob was right - it almost looks like bailing wire.
I must have missed that picture before otherwise I would have commented on how thick it looks. I don't think that is factory. Typical bailing wire is thinner. I get it at the Tractor Supply but many hardware stores carry it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: roddster on May 01, 2019, 09:51:24 AM
   Actually, installing the safety wire is one of the most fun operations I have every done on my Shelby (except dumping the clutch on the last yellow at the strip).  Harbor freight has the spinner tool, and now I have to go on a world wide search for the correct gauge and type of wire....My head exploded long ago.

LOL!  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

pbf777

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on May 01, 2019, 04:48:51 PM
but when you have to do it on all the rocker covers on a Pratt & Whitney R2800 it's no fun I assure you!  ;D ;D

Could have been worse, it could have been an P.W. R4360!     ::)

Scott.

(And yes, I realize the apparent discontinuation of wire tying on this model.)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: George Schalk on May 01, 2019, 09:19:38 PM

It is clear that the brakes were worked on at some point especially after seeing the control arms have been replaced with more current service replacement arms.  I noticed, but didn't want to say anything that the brake hose in the picture is a double crimp replacement as opposed to the original single crimp and it also appears that the spindle may be painted black, which is supposed to be unpainted from the factory.  I would bet the safety wire is an old coat hanger someone used when putting it back together.

It looks like the power steering hose has been replaced with a newer double crimp also.  Replacement parts and repairs are expected since the car is 52 years old.  It is rare to see a completely untouched car now a days.
I wanted to remind those reading that information gleaned from comments should not be taken out of context. For instance the 67-70 GT500 upper pressure P/S  hoses were double crimped . The 67/68 Shelby GT350 unique upper pressure hose was single crimped. I envisioned GT500 readers looking at their hoses and thinking that they may be wrong.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

I must have missed that picture before otherwise I would have commented on how thick it looks. I don't think that is factory. Typical bailing wire is thinner. I get it at the Tractor Supply but many hardware stores carry it.

I thought it was about the thickness of wire that I had seen. It was missing on my '67 when I got it but it was still on my '68.

There is a 12 gauge wire that is used for hanging suspended ceiling track systems. It is made so that you can twist it to adjust the length of the wire, to raise or lower the tracks to level it. It's about the gauge that you want for the brake safety wire.

You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot in the ceiling section. It should be fine for this application.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!