News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

FOUND! 1967 Shelby GT350 Barn Find - 1 of 1

Started by Shelby_r_b, March 22, 2019, 09:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

64cobra

Is this a car you are selling or planning on keeping?   

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 02, 2019, 07:35:02 PM
Quote from: Shelby_r_b on April 30, 2019, 12:11:16 AM
I must have missed that picture before otherwise I would have commented on how thick it looks. I don't think that is factory. Typical bailing wire is thinner. I get it at the Tractor Supply but many hardware stores carry it.

I thought it was about the thickness of wire that I had seen. It was missing on my '67 when I got it but it was still on my '68.

There is a 12 gauge wire that is used for hanging suspended ceiling track systems. It is made so that you can twist it to adjust the length of the wire, to raise or lower the tracks to level it. It's about the gauge that you want for the brake safety wire.

You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot in the ceiling section. It should be fine for this application.
You went and did it. You made me get up off my  ---  chair ;) and look . 12 gauge is too thick. I just double checked my spool of wire and it is 16 gauge . That is common bailing wire which looks identical to what was used on the assemblyline from my observations on original cars 67-70 Shelby
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

64cobra

Agree Bob.  This looks like a total sell job post to me.  Blow the car up to flip and get big money for it. Its just a 289 auto.   Not a big deal.  Now if it was a 4spd a/c then different story

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 04, 2019, 04:51:47 PM
I must have missed that picture before otherwise I would have commented on how thick it looks. I don't think that is factory. Typical bailing wire is thinner. I get it at the Tractor Supply but many hardware stores carry it.

I thought it was about the thickness of wire that I had seen. It was missing on my '67 when I got it but it was still on my '68.

There is a 12 gauge wire that is used for hanging suspended ceiling track systems. It is made so that you can twist it to adjust the length of the wire, to raise or lower the tracks to level it. It's about the gauge that you want for the brake safety wire.

You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot in the ceiling section. It should be fine for this application.
You went and did it. You made me get up off my  ---  chair ;) and look . 12 gauge is too thick. I just double checked my spool of wire and it is 16 gauge . That is common bailing wire which looks identical to what was used on the assemblyline from my observations on original cars 67-70 Shelby

64cobra

Rueben...    are you selling or flipping?

Quote from: 64cobra on May 04, 2019, 04:58:46 PM
Agree Bob.  This looks like a total sell job post to me.  Blow the car up to flip and get big money for it. Its just a 289 auto.   Not a big deal.  Now if it was a 4spd a/c then different story

64cobra

Guess we all know the story.   Lets blow the car up as a 1 of 1 then miracuously it comes up for sale.

uote author=64cobra link=topic=5311.msg49286#msg49286 date=1557004322]
Rueben...    are you selling or flipping?

Quote from: 64cobra on May 04, 2019, 04:58:46 PM

[/quote]

Bossbill

I love standards -- because there are so many of them!

I measured my bailing wire and it turns out to be 15 ga. Approximately 0.0575".
16 ga. wire is 0.0508.
Both sizes are per "AMERICAN or BROWN AND SHARP DIAMETER"  stds:
https://www.pyromation.com/Catalog/W03.pdf

I don't think most humans can see the difference. But I've seen Bob on the concours field and I think he could!
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

shelbydoug

Oh geeze! Break out the calipers!
;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Bossbill on May 04, 2019, 06:44:06 PM
I love standards -- because there are so many of them!

I measured my bailing wire and it turns out to be 15 ga. Approximately 0.0575".
16 ga. wire is 0.0508.
Both sizes are per "AMERICAN or BROWN AND SHARP DIAMETER"  stds:
https://www.pyromation.com/Catalog/W03.pdf

I don't think most humans can see the difference. But I've seen Bob on the concours field and I think he could!

Quite the lively conversation about safety wire!  Gotta love the details.  ;)
Nothing beats a classic!

QuickSilverShelby

What is the concourse correct finish on bailing wire?  ;D

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bossbill

I'm stuck between phosphate and oil (PO) or Boeshield.
The temperature of the phosphate bath may affect the molecular structure of the wire rendering it brittle.
But Boeshield may be too shiny.

Decisions, decisions...  ;)
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 05, 2019, 10:15:41 AM
Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on May 05, 2019, 10:08:44 AM

QSS

RUST!  :o

LOL!!!  I would have to agree, even leaving LAX.  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on May 05, 2019, 10:08:44 AM

Believed it was/is annealed. Last time I purchased it that how it was coated even today.  A coat of protective oil will help keep it that way over time.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bossbill on May 05, 2019, 01:39:27 PM
I'm stuck between phosphate and oil (PO) or Boeshield.
The temperature of the phosphate bath may affect the molecular structure of the wire rendering it brittle.
But Boeshield may be too shiny.

Decisions, decisions...  ;)

Won't the coating change the thickness of the wire?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

KerryBWhite

Ruben
I would be interested in purchasing the '67 if it is for sale.
In your original post you stated...incredibly original / rust free, and is believed to have 10,454 original miles.
It definitely looks pretty rust free from your posted pictures but can any proof of the mileage be provided??
How does the carpet wear look or pedal wear look with the low mileage?  Has any front end damage or evidence of a crash been discovered due to the A arms being replaced.
Just a few questions if the car is For Sale.
Thanks
Kerry