Author Topic: FOUND! 1967 Shelby GT350 Barn Find - 1 of 1  (Read 43030 times)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: FOUND! 1967 Shelby GT350 Barn Find - 1 of 1
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »
Thanks to all!

Greek - it was fantastic meeting you this past weekend.  And, I'm so glad you were able to see the car in person.  Truly, it's the relationships that make the hobby what it is. :)
Nothing beats a classic!

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2019, 02:10:27 PM »
It was great to meet you as well and see the car in person.  Up close you can really see what the previous owners did to personalize the car.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2019, 02:44:46 PM »
Latest update: the fuel system has been sorted and they are waiting on the fuel pump to carb hard line.

I stopped by to drop off a wiring harness, and snapped a few quick pictures.

Picture 1 - here she is up on the lift
Picture 2 - the new gas tank and sending unit are now installed
Picture 3 - the shop owner pointed out where you could still see old remnants of the side stripes on the front fender (circled in red). Pretty cool!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2019, 03:58:45 PM »
Latest update: the fuel system has been sorted and they are waiting on the fuel pump to carb hard line.

Picture 3 - the shop owner pointed out where you could still see old remnants of the side stripes on the front fender (circled in red). Pretty cool!
Are you going to keep the air shocks  ;) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2019, 05:17:22 PM »

Are you going to keep the air shocks  ;) .

LOL!!! Yeah, those are going bye-bye  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2019, 06:12:44 PM »
Ruben thanks for the update and glad to hear it's closer to moving on its' own..

I noticed in the image of the new gas tank the car still has the shipping tie-down brackets and I'm curious if it has the square corner or the round corner version. 

(there has been some discussion in the past on the old crashed forum regarding these which were supposed to be removed by the dealers as part of the new car prep' and return to Ford for re-use and there was a money in this for the dealer but many never bothered.)

Not trying to start anything just curious what is on the car.  Next time you are visiting could you look and let us know?

Thanks, JD

See attached section of Marcus Anghel's paper on these (one of a number he has researched and shared - great stuff)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2019, 09:30:08 PM »
Ruben thanks for the update and glad to hear it's closer to moving on its' own..

I noticed in the image of the new gas tank the car still has the shipping tie-down brackets and I'm curious if it has the square corner or the round corner version. 

(there has been some discussion in the past on the old crashed forum regarding these which were supposed to be removed by the dealers as part of the new car prep' and return to Ford for re-use and there was a money in this for the dealer but many never bothered.)

Not trying to start anything just curious what is on the car.  Next time you are visiting could you look and let us know?

Thanks, JD

See attached section of Marcus Anghel's paper on these (one of a number he has researched and shared - great stuff)
Also if they appear to have been painted or not painted while your at it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2019, 06:05:54 PM »

Thanks, JD

Hey JD and Bob,

Thanks for pointing this out, as I had no idea that there were two types of tie downs used.  I'll take a look the next time I'm at the shop.  I'm not sure about the corners being pointed or rounded, but I can almost guarantee that they were painted black, if my memory serves me right. 

More to come!  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2019, 09:33:16 PM »
Ruben,

Just for reference, would you check the attaching hardware as well?

Thanks,

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2019, 11:17:25 PM »
Ruben,

Just for reference, would you check the attaching hardware as well?

Thanks,

Greek

Will do 👍🏻
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2019, 05:41:30 PM »
The latest - she now runs and idles with her on-board fuel system!  The fuel pump to carb line finally came in, and thanks to a fellow forum member (who sold me another correct date coded carb which didn't require a rebuild  ;)), they were able to swap carbs and get her going full steam ahead.  Now she purrs like a kitten!  ;D

They've now moved to the brake system.  Once that's finished, they'll check out the power steering system.

She's getting closer to the street!!!  I can't wait!
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2019, 06:14:44 PM »
I think we need video proof with sound!! 

(Also I should test drive it)

Seriously, it's good to hear it's on the way to being driven again.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2019, 08:07:38 PM »
I think we need video proof with sound!! 

(Also I should test drive it)

Seriously, it's good to hear it's on the way to being driven again.

Seriously!  I can't wait to head down there to hear it.  I'll definitely shoot some footage  :D.

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2019, 10:32:23 PM »
What. A. Day!!

I received an email today saying that the brakes are sorted, AND...that they drove it around the block!!! Then, the shop invited me down to take the car for a quick drive. I could NOT get down there quick enough!  I pushed back an afternoon meeting I had and beat feet to the shop.

I arrived and they simply handed me the keys and said, “Start her up!”  I jumped in the driver’s seat, put the key in the ignition, and she cranked straight away!  Wow!!! The sound was AMAZING!! To be honest, I’ve never heard a 67 Shelby running through it’s complete born-with exhaust - it was incredible.

Then I was told to take her around the block. I cannot explain what it was like to drive the car for the first time, especially after less then 30 days at this shop. All I could think about is how the car had been sitting for over 40 years and I thought about Robert Mejia - the previous owner. I thought about what he must have felt the last time he drove the car. I thought about the car itself and finally getting it out on the road after decades. I thought about how blessed I am to be behind the wheel of such an amazing car.

Once I got back to the shop, the head mechanic (who has been working on the car with the assistance of an intern) asked if I wanted to go for a ride. Of course, I said, yes! The intern jumped in the back and I moved to the passenger seat...

WOW!! The head mechanic REALLY showed me what the car could do. He even squealed the tires!! 👍🏻

When we got back, they started the AC...and if actually worked!! Now, it didn’t blow ice cold (as it needs a charge, and such), but she was working!

I took a video of the engine running, but I don’t know how to post it on this site. If anyone knows how to post a video here, please let me know.

What an awesome day! As always, more to come. 👍🏻
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2019, 10:41:29 PM »
Wow - excellent.

What did they do to the transmission - or did they. 

JD