Author Topic: FOUND! 1967 Shelby GT350 Barn Find - 1 of 1  (Read 43047 times)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: FOUND! 1967 Shelby GT350 Barn Find - 1 of 1
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2019, 09:09:35 AM »
Wow - excellent.

What did they do to the transmission - or did they. 

JD

Hey JD!  I believe they changed the fluid, but that was it. It goes into gear smoothly and shifts really well. Again, I continue to be amazed at how well the car is doing.

The head mechanic said this, “There are some cars that just don’t want to come back, and then there are some cars that do. This car REALLY wants to get back on the road again - she wants to live.” Interesting and reminiscent of the move “Christine”. 😉
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2019, 09:14:15 AM »
Ruben thanks for the update and glad to hear it's closer to moving on its' own..

I noticed in the image of the new gas tank the car still has the shipping tie-down brackets and I'm curious if it has the square corner or the round corner version. 

(there has been some discussion in the past on the old crashed forum regarding these which were supposed to be removed by the dealers as part of the new car prep' and return to Ford for re-use and there was a money in this for the dealer but many never bothered.)

Not trying to start anything just curious what is on the car.  Next time you are visiting could you look and let us know?

Thanks, JD

See attached section of Marcus Anghel's paper on these (one of a number he has researched and shared - great stuff)

So, in the midst of yesterday’s excitement, I did manage to crawl under the rear and look at the tie-down brackets. The edges (at least on the side where I looked) were rounded at the top. And, given the surface rust, I couldn’t tell for sure if they were painted, but if I had to guess, they looked painted black to me. Unfortunately, I didn’t look at the mounting hardware, but I will. 👍🏻

Thoughts?
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2019, 09:56:30 AM »

So, in the midst of yesterday’s excitement, I did manage to crawl under the rear and look at the tie-down brackets. The edges (at least on the side where I looked) were rounded at the top. And, given the surface rust, I couldn’t tell for sure if they were painted, but if I had to guess, they looked painted black to me. Unfortunately, I didn’t look at the mounting hardware, but I will. 👍🏻

Thoughts?

Thanks, when you can please look to see if the other side matches (corners and paint or no paint) and the hardware. 

(there have been other '67 cars that have the rounded corners and the speculation on the old site was that MAYBE since the parts were reused that over time they migrated around the country and ended up on cars that we wouldn't have thought would have them)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:02:55 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2019, 10:23:20 AM »
Ruben thanks for the update and glad to hear it's closer to moving on its' own..

I noticed in the image of the new gas tank the car still has the shipping tie-down brackets and I'm curious if it has the square corner or the round corner version. 

(there has been some discussion in the past on the old crashed forum regarding these which were supposed to be removed by the dealers as part of the new car prep' and return to Ford for re-use and there was a money in this for the dealer but many never bothered.)

Not trying to start anything just curious what is on the car.  Next time you are visiting could you look and let us know?

Thanks, JD

See attached section of Marcus Anghel's paper on these (one of a number he has researched and shared - great stuff)

Thoughts?
The square corner tie downs were typically shipped to San Jose and the round corner ones to Metuchen and Dearborn when new. They were most likely made by different MFG's which were geographically located near the plants .This is consistent over the 65-70 Shelby model years. The square corner style was dip painted semi gloss black while the Dearborn /Metuchen round corner style was left bare metal.   Even though you see many attached after all these years they were supposed to be reused as per instructions on the license plate sticker . The square corner type was seen used pretty exclusively on 65 and 66 cars. In 67 the square corner type is still the predominate tie down style seen on SJ cars however some of the round corner types are also seen . I have a couple theories on why the round corner type is sometime seen on SJ cars.  The return and reuse program may be responsible for the mixture. By 67 the mixture of returned tie downs from SJ,Dearborn and Metchen cars were distributed and the resulting mixture is responsible for the occasional round corner type seen on 67's. Another theory is that not enough returns of the tie downs were coming in because they were not being taken off that a supply of tie downs from the eastern assembly plants had to be used at SJ to supplement their supply. Interesting to note that although we see the use of the round corner type used occasionally on 67 Shelby's we rarely see if at all the square corner type used on 68 and 69/70 Shelby Dearborn and Metuchen cars .There are any number of scenarios but I think these two make the most sense based on studying all year of Shelby's 65-70. At least they make the most sense to me now until more compelling information is uncovered.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2019, 04:30:53 PM »
Short update today:

I went by the shop to get some of the takeoff parts - wheels and tires being one of them.  When I got home, I snapped some pictures of the inner wheel.  As you'll see in the attached pictures, each wheel had the "KH-70612" on the inside.  Also, I noticed what looked like a "4" or part of an "H" stamping shown in the last two pictures.  Does anyone know what this stamping was for or what it signifies?

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2019, 04:32:00 PM »
...and...I forgot to shoot pictures / look at the rear tie downs.  Dang it!  I promise to get them eventually!   ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 12:23:34 PM by Shelby_r_b »
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2019, 02:07:43 AM »
Pure joy! I got to, again, drive the 67; which I’m ironically calling, “Black Beauty” (even though it’s more like “Mad Max”.  The cooling system will get a full clean, all the electrical will be sorted, as well as ensuring AC operation, and then she comes home!

Getting close - I can’t wait! 👍🏻
Nothing beats a classic!

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 03, 2019, 08:56:36 AM »
Great shot! Always a good feeling to be back in the saddle again. I can identify.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2019, 11:06:51 AM »
Short update today:

I went by the shop to get some of the takeoff parts - wheels and tires being one of them.  When I got home, I snapped some pictures of the inner wheel.  As you'll see in the attached pictures, each wheel had the "KH-70612" on the inside.  Also, I noticed what looked like a "4" or part of an "H" stamping shown in the last two pictures.  Does anyone know what this stamping was for or what it signifies?

Thanks!
It looks like a "H" to me and most likely part of another "KH" marking that didn't get applied very deep IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2019, 05:21:21 PM »
Short update today:

Thanks!
It looks like a "H" to me and most likely part of another "KH" marking that didn't get applied very deep IMO.

Great - thanks , Bob!
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2019, 09:44:13 PM »
Today I was finally able to checkout and take a picture of the rear shipping tie downs. As you’ll see in the picture, they appear to be painted black with rounded edges at the top.

Also, I think I found the threaded hole (circled in red) on the passenger’s side of the intake for the coil. Please advise if I’m off.

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2019, 10:14:32 PM »
Thanks for the tie-down check and image.  (Seems those made the rounds)

Yes, that appears to be the front mounting hole.  That version would also have two more towards the rear, same side.  See attached...

Also, good to see you at SAAC 44
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:16:18 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2019, 10:20:20 PM »
Which intake the large number S2MS or the S7MS?Both have the provision for the smog in back and relocated coil in front.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:21:54 PM by Bob Gaines »

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2019, 11:26:06 PM »
Thanks for the tie-down check and image.  (Seems those made the rounds)

Yes, that appears to be the front mounting hole.  That version would also have two more towards the rear, same side.  See attached...

Also, good to see you at SAAC 44

Thanks for the picture, JD! It was great seeing you at SAAC 44 as well. 👍🏻
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2019, 11:29:46 PM »
Which intake the large number S2MS or the S7MS?Both have the provision for the smog in back and relocated coil in front.

Good catch, Bob, as to the purpose of the rear holes. I went back through some old photos I first took of #2666, and as you can see from the picture below, part of the smog system is mounted via one of the two holes (circled in red).
Nothing beats a classic!