Author Topic: How do you wash your Shelby  (Read 10912 times)

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do you wash your Shelby
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 10:15:59 AM »
I've found these two sites to be the best for explaining the detailing process, from washing to polishing, etc. The second series has a lot of information aimed at the professional detailer, but is invaluable to the individual doing his own cars as well.
I maintain my own cars, as for washing I use my compressor along with a foam cannon to pre soak the cars surface with soap. I then use the two bucket method (along with grit guards) to wash the cars. The exception being the CSX which I wash just using the two bucket method using Adam's or Chemical Guys car soap. For drying I use a electric leaf blower and a waffle weave MF towel.  I often apply a quick detailer during the toweling off which adds additional gloss and seems to speed drying time.

I'll add additional if I think of anything relevant to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p8FOcHAFZA&app=desktop

https://www.ammonyc.com/videos/

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 12:58:38 PM »
Great question and great answers!

I only use waterless products.  My fear in using regular water is that I'll introduce water into areas that will never allow the water to come out.  Consequently, I'm concerned about inducing rust rich conditions during the process.  So, I use all Jax Wax products (no sponsorship; although I'm open  ;D) and I tailor what I'm doing to the needs of the car (i.e., do I need some paint correction from swirls, or do I just need a simple cleaning).

I'm certainly not a detailing connoisseur; however, I've grown much in my cleaning/detaling over the years.

It's funny - I can't stand to clean anything.  But, when it comes to my cars, I could spend DAYS out there making them look their best.  My wife loves that about me... ::)
Nothing beats a classic!

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 01:09:44 PM »
Every spring, I have a guy that comes to my place and he spends the entire day detailing the outside of the car. He cleans the interior & engine bay as well. Because he does detailing for a living, he always seems to have the best/latest products and makes my car look fantastic! From there I use a light car cover when the car is put away, and I often use Meguiars detailer to touch it up once in a while.
65 GT350

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 06:40:29 PM »

One process of detailing I'd like to add is the use of a decontamination solution that removes imbedded contaminates like iron from the paint, glass, etc. You would be amazed at the amount of stuff, invisible to the naked eye, that is imbedded into the paint. These contaminates cannot be removed with a clay bar or simply washing the car. These iron removers loosens the debris, which appears as reddish streaks when it's working and then is simply washed off.

Your paint will appear smoother, shinier and have greater depth of color. You simply spray the body panels, glass and even metal surfaces and it goes to work in minutes removing the embedded iron and contaminates. This link has pictures of the results of using the product and some recommended products. This is probably the cheapest detailing product that has the biggest impact on the cars finish.

https://www.autogeek.net/iron-removers.html

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »
One addition to my last post which I would like to make is that the Wolfgang Uber is best used when a car is not remarkably dirty. For example, during the winter when it is difficult to keep a daily driver clean in the midwest, I do a traditional power wash of my truck followed by a 2 bucket system wash using a microfibre wash mit and good ole fashioned meguiars gold standard car soap, spot free rinse/de-ionized water, followed by some spray wax spritzed over the wet truck to help with drying and to prevent water spots. From there, either a hand held leaf blower (mine a battery pack powered dewalt) or a quick wipe down with micro fibers and some Wolfgang Uber to add lubrication to the towels.

I'll also add that my truck has a ceramic coating on it which does wonders in making the truck much easier to clean and keeps it much cleaner between washes. That is a totally different topic though. I even put some more mild coatings on the Shelbys from time to time. Again, a conversation perhaps for another thread though...

Since this thread is about washing the Shelbys, though, I had only previously posted about using Wolfgang Uber because the Shelbys are kept clean enough that using a traditional car wash method is unnecessary for me. During the summer, spring, or even fall, I try to go over the truck once or twice a week which is frequent enough to only need to do a wipe down with Wolfgang Uber as opposed to going "all out" with a traditional wash. 

Worth noting also though...everyone has their own way of doing things and taking care of their own belongings. Hopefully this thread will be of value to forum members though in improving the way they wash their cars, if they want that.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 07:13:07 PM »
A real game changer?

https://crspotless.com

And a leaf blower to dry.

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 07:17:26 PM »
All in all, I think there are a few important facts to note about washing cars, at least from what I've learned over the last few years. Also keep in mind, I am not an ultra anal-retentive personality type when it comes to detailing, but I like them to be clean and I like to know that (if im gonne put the effort into cleaning them and keeping them up) that I at least am doing it what I figure is the "right" way.

1. The best way to wash a car depends on how dirty it is. There's a big difference between what should be done to a car that needs dust and fingerprints removed vs. a car that has been driven for 3 days after 3 inches of snow in the midwest..

2. Good quality, clean microfibres are a must. When wiping a car down and a towel gets a little dirty (as in you can see any accumulation on the towel), just throw it in the wash pile and get a fresh one. A dirty towel will render every other point here useless...after all, this is the thing which you are rubbing directly on your paint.

3.  A good lubricant (quick detailer, Wolfgang Uber or similar product) is a must when wiping a car down.

4. A good PH neutral (or close) soap is nice to have.

5. I've always found that spray wax is good for a number of things. Extra coat of protection, water beading, extending amount of times between washes, building up a protective layer for your paint from contaminants, and help in drying a car are some but not all of the benefits.

6. Since I started using coatings a few years ago, I've come to know the benefits. Some are hesitant to use a coating (as I was back then) but they really make cleaning and protecting any car a much easier task. Im personally not a big fan of clear bras (at least on the old cars) but i think a coating is a great addition to any Shelby Mustang's paint finish.

Anyway, some more of my thoughts. Have greatly enjoyed reading some of the other posters' thoughts.

Kind regards,
Vern
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:19:41 PM by Vernon Estes »
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 07:59:23 PM »
Despite what I said earlier I would still use a hose and a bucket but it’s very efficient using the spray washes. For my truck or modern car it’s the $8.99 drive threw.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 08:44:50 PM »
Me too!  The quality of urethane epoxy paints versus the quick fade enamels of old make the surfaces much more durable.  In addition we are well past the "J-Wax" products of the sixties with remarkable modern detail products.  It still takes a lot of hand wash work, though.  The single use f microfiber towels and a quality non-synthetic chamois works fine for me as does any decent brand of automotive soap used sparingly as directed.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 05:32:35 AM »
Despite what I said earlier I would still use a hose and a bucket but it’s very efficient using the spray washes. For my truck or modern car it’s the $8.99 drive threw.
Discount the fill up and you get a car wash. Works for me😍
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 09:13:11 AM »
I have never used water since I have owned my car.

It never gets "filthy".  When it does get dirtier than expected, i.e. sitting at a car show and travelling all day, I use a waterless car wash spray.  I will use Adams Detail Spray in between washes, I use a California Duster to keep the dust off, and I keep the car covered when I can.

Water is the enemy

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 09:00:43 PM »
palmolive and water

once at any event it stays in its natural arrival state

+1  or Dawn

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 09:25:22 PM »
I will use dish detergent (very gently) if I want to strip all the wax/protective coating off.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 10:41:52 PM »
I will use dish detergent (very gently) if I want to strip all the wax/protective coating off.
True, it will and is only useful for that purpose.  A true automotive wash is a non-detergent that will not remove most polishes and holds dirt in suspension from the surface for it to be rinsed without leaving a residue.  Never use a dishwasher detergent due to its harsh properties. 8)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 02:59:28 PM »
All great advice gentlemen.  I plan to try the rinseless car wash and see how that goes.  When the snow disappears.  Thank you all!

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"