Author Topic: How do you wash your Shelby  (Read 10909 times)

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do you wash your Shelby
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 09:35:15 AM »
If you have a 69/70 your hood has 5 large drains straight to the engine compartment, therefore if you use water you must detail the engine compartment and and front suspension each time you wash it... ;D

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

R Code

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 11:28:23 AM »
...I am not an ultra anal-retentive personality type when it comes to detailing...

Yes you are Vern. ;D

- signed, everybody
- Chris

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 11:33:42 AM »
Chadwicks is good stuff
Chadwick's Triple Play.com
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:17:38 AM by csheff »

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 01:35:04 PM »
Chadwicks is good stuff
  That is what I use and it seems to work well.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 05:27:34 PM »
So if you do take a hose to your Shelby, or get caught in the rain, like I did 3 times, what is a good way to dry the car off to prevent rusting?  I worry about rust in the rocker panel area of the convertible or down inside the doors.  I took the glass out of my doors and painted the insides with chassis saver.  I have a rust-free California car and would like to keep it that way, but as I get older, I am less afraid to drive it even if the weather is questionable.   

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 06:20:14 PM »
...I am not an ultra anal-retentive personality type when it comes to detailing...

Yes you are Vern. ;D

- signed, everybody

;D

I think this entire conversation depends on someone's frame of reference but I assure you that I am not anal retentive compared to some of the guys I know locally here in KC who are "into" high end detailing. Some of these guys aren't even "car guys" they just love detailing cars.

Those guys look at me and the way that I wash and detail my own stuff and think I am an absolute heathen... I just like hanging around them because they give me some good tips from time to time..though I ignore most of what they say because I think a lot of it is just going way farther than I would ever want to go....personal preference.

I drive all the cars that come through here and I am not afraid to get them dirty or wet. If I am going to go to all the effort of cleaning them, though, I just want to make sure I am doing no harm to the cars. Many guys harm the cosmetic finishes on their car when they are trying to clean the car. Most of the time its due to poor quality/dirty towels, bad products etc etc.

Anyway, like I said, it all depends on perspective when it comes to detailing and everyone can do things the way they want individually.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »

;D

I think this entire conversation depends on someone's frame of reference but I assure you that I am not anal retentive compared to some of the guys I know locally here in KC who are "into" high end detailing. Some of these guys aren't even "car guys" they just love detailing cars.

[/quote]

+1 -   Yes, that's why I stand back and let the "pros" handle it!   ;D
65 GT350

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 07:54:34 PM »
If you have a 69/70 your hood has 5 large drains straight to the engine compartment, therefore if you use water you must detail the engine compartment and and front suspension each time you wash it... ;D
     Yeah well 67s are no walk in the park either..Back when I used my 67 as a daily driver I had to stuff  T-shirt’s in the hoodscoop when it rained heavily...Also with a 69/70 you don’t have to deal with upper extractor scoops “crying” for miles after every wash... ;D :o
TOB

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 08:09:36 PM »
This the way I seem to always wash it. Or at least it seems like it when I drive it
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:16 AM »
good one Steve

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 12:38:30 PM »
you are not a newbie
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 12:53:10 PM »
After washing, using the blower off the wet vac that was used to vac the interior is a great way to get the moisture out of the various hard to dry areas.  I do the wheels and brakes, between all the seams, etc. to get the water displaced. 

R Code

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 01:11:56 PM »
...it all depends on perspective...

LOL, this is true.  I've been called a little OCD about my vehicles too.  Of course for me that means our daily drivers get the "full treatment" @ the drive through car wash a time or two during the winter.

It's good education, this thread & your posts, just couldn't resist breaking your stones a bit.
- Chris

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2018, 01:06:58 AM »
i'm a numbers matching sorta person. use ford carwash, ford paste wax on factory paint. worst problems are leftover water dripping from scoops. phred

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 02:29:14 PM »
Never heard of Fluid Film. Going to look it up!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"