Author Topic: What kind of black paint are you using for the engine bay?  (Read 4793 times)

magstar67

• View Profile
What kind of black paint are you using for the engine bay?
« on: March 24, 2019, 10:06:15 PM »
I'm freshening up the engine bay of my '67 GT500, haven't done one in a few years and wondering what folks are using to duplicate the semi flat black in the engine bay these days?

Thanks, Jeff
1967 GT500 #3193.  427 Dual Quad w/ 4-speed.  Owned since 1997.

1967 eight barrel

Re: What kind of black paint are you using for the engine bay?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 10:58:27 PM »
Do you want something durable, or just factory looks? Are you planning on shooting it with a gun, or bomb can?

-Keith

magstar67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 11:04:33 PM »
Do you want something durable, or just factory looks? Are you planning on shooting it with a gun, or bomb can?

-Keith

Keith, I'd like to use something durable and don't have any problem using a paint gun. 

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 11:28:09 PM »
I will get the numbers I used. It was a basecoat with vintage clear. I will post pictures of the engine compartment after I shot it for you. I am in NY until Wednesay. I only have my company laptop with me here. You control the sheen of the clear with how much hardner is used with the vintage clear. It's a great durable product. I even used it with the interior trim panels.
                                                                                         -Keith

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 01:11:22 AM »
Also going to depend on what is legal to purchase and apply. If your having it painted by someone else or in someones shop they can get particular when fines are and other nasty things can get involved.

Just a concern for some of us.

Used Hot Rod Black a couple of cars ago. A little soft, like the look and easy to touch up if you have a little bumper or accident.  Even used SEMS Trim Black to touch up

Others will surely have their own favorite brand for their own reasons
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:55:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 07:37:22 AM »
I bought some of this stuff. I like it so much I've been using it on just about everything.

It dries hard like a powder coat does and looks like powder coat.

The only thing on my 68 that technically isn't right for is my firewall which is a gloss coat. That never looked right but that's the way I got it.

The satin to me looks just about right on things like export brace, shock towers, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Satin-Black-Hot-Rod-Quart-2K-Urethane-Single-Stage-Car-Motorcycle-Auto-Paint-Kit/292422914039?var=591287972206&hash=item4415c38ff7:m:mQjaJn84d0mF7ZnYEUP-ByQ
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 08:17:17 AM »
If you can get it, I think it is called DP90, epoxy primer, thats all you need to get the correct look. It will hold up well. Rock hard finish!
RARE  Signature Delete

T-Bone68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »
On gloss level...

Should the engine bay paint be closer to the flat end of the satin/gloss scale and the other add ons like radiator, export brace, shock tower caps and brake booster all stick out as having a little higher gloss? 

Or should any of those match the engine bay gloss?

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 09:33:39 AM »
Now your getting into person taste and judging, I personally like "egg shell" look with a smooth finish. some like using flatener, lots of work getting it right. I have heard of using the DP90 (black epoxy) with clear that is already flat when it drys. May or may not be good? My boss was done with dp90 and the deck lid was done with "hot rod black" Which is hard to find now.
RARE  Signature Delete

cascade-classics

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 11:49:51 AM »
There was an article in Mustang and Fords by Bob Perkins.  This is the paint he said was correct.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 01:35:25 PM »
Understand that DP90 like the other paints in that group is not designed for UV exposure if you want to figure that into your decision making process when choosing a paint for this process

On gloss level...

Should the engine bay paint be closer to the flat end of the satin/gloss scale and the other add on's like radiator, export brace, shock tower caps and brake booster all stick out as having a little higher gloss? 

Originally there would have been a variety of blacks and amount of gloss or flat tones of semi-gloss since the parts were all painted in different plants and by different suppliers on different days, different paints and weather. One in that group might match the engine compartment on any particular day
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 01:42:58 PM »
On gloss level...

Should the engine bay paint be closer to the flat end of the satin/gloss scale and the other add ons like radiator, export brace, shock tower caps and brake booster all stick out as having a little higher gloss? 

There was a range on gloss for all of the items mentioned so you have a certain amount of latitude before you get into the extremes one way or the other. The one thing that you can count on is that the odds of everything being the same gloss level were pretty remote. In general it sounds like you have things understood. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

magstar67

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 01:56:09 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, that was kind of what I was thinking too in that there wasn't one paint that was 100% correct but more of a general range of gloss that would have been on them and the sheen can vary to some degree.  I will check availability of some of these suggestions and go from there.

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 04:07:43 PM »
SEM Trim Black has a nice finish too.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

6972boss

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 11:42:41 PM »
I have applied DP90 on my boss cars in the past.  Looks great for awhile but fades after a few years. Its not meant as a top coat. My last engine bay spray i used basecoat black with hot rod clear. Nice eggshell finish and being catalysed means it is more resistant to coolant, fuel and brake fluid..easy to touch up. My export brace is satin powder coat.
(Yea, yea. I know there is a ton of stuff not right under that hood. I do drive and enjoy 3119. The people get a kick out of it. We have fun!)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:50:23 PM by 6972boss »