News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

'65 GT350 on BaT

Started by 2112, March 25, 2019, 02:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlesTurner

Quote from: davez on March 26, 2019, 08:04:10 PM
The ad doesn't say Transferable Registration. The car is in Virginia. We have Titles in Virginia. Registrations  in VA are for when you get it  tagged and insured.  I bought a car from NY and Virginia will issue a title based on some out of state registrations / pink slips etc. You can't get a title in Virginia if all you have is a Bill of Sale. It's probably important if there is other non listed paperwork stating ownership.

If the intention is to only track it, then bill of sale might work.  Being an original 65 Shelby car/chassis and quite valuable, it would stand to reason that a prospective buyer would want something more legitimate.  What's to say an original title from somewhere for this car surfaces and they lay claim to it.  Could be a legal nightmare.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

QuickSilverShelby

How come the last two Shelby's on BAT have some sort of issue with Title (this car) or the vin (last 66 that was on BAT a few weeks ago).  It would seem that these little tidbits of provenance should be sorted out with explanations or documentation before they even hit BAT.

Is BAT becoming the place to try and wash clean a questionable history on a car?

This 65 is an awesome car, I wouldn't change a thing on it but when people start clamoring for a title or suggesting one could surface at some inopportune time, it would make me hesitate before bidding on a car.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

SFM5S159

I'm extremely interested in this because it's similar in many ways to my own car, #159.  It's a "weapons grade" race car as the guys in Sports Car Market call them.  Cars that are prepared exclusively for the track, or pure race cars. 

My thoughts are that cars like this should remain race cars.  It would take so much work and effort to "undo" what has been done that little originality would remain.  It would have been replaced and erased.  My own car was converted to a race car in the 70's by a well known racer in the Shelby world, Don Cummings.  It has far more history as a race car than a street car.  Why erase all of that?  Same with this car.  Its got a great look and I'm sure it performs well.  Is there a penalty on the value?  Of course.  I have no issue with that at all.  Its not a concours or original car.  I have no idea what that price penalty is, or what it should be.  I guess we'll see if it sell.   I don't worry too much about that title issue, as I have purchased cars from no-title states and simply presented the bill of sale in Ohio and I was issued a clear title.  This applies to pre-1973 or whatever it was for the particular state.   Yes, a thorough history needs to be established to make certain that a title doesn't pop up in another state, but that's shouldn't be that hard with ownership history and intact Ford VIN number on the aprons of the car. 

Related to this but maybe a separate topic is an analysis of how many '65's have been modified and made into track cars?  As I read through the new '65 registry and look at the pics it seems like a very high percentage of cars have some small tasteful mods.  I was going to do a causal count but didn't get around to it.  I'm guessing 20% maybe. 

Regardless this is very very cool car in my view.  And with the cost of restoration back to original specs, it would make more sense to go buy a "correct" '65 vs. converting a car this modified back. 

I'll be very interested to see where it closes.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say around $200k.

Mike C

'65 GT350, '67 GT500, '65 289 Cobra

sfm5s081

No sale! Maybe not the best outlet for that car?

SFM5S159

Yeah, maybe not the best venue I agree?  Seems like I saw a '66 GT350 prepared in a similar manner bring more money at one of the auctions in Monterey ?  It may have had period history.
This car looks well prepared to me.  I like it a lot.    Hope they get what they are asking. 

Mike C

terlingua11

$156K is a long way away from the $289K listed on the buy it now site. The actual price is probably in the middle somewhere I would say-
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

SFM5S159

Agreed, I didn't mean to suggest that I hope they get the $289k even though that's what I said !   ::)

To clarify, I hope they reach a selling price they are comfortable with!  Again, I'm thinking $200k range would be fair to me.  I am assuming the Ford VIN's are present on the fender aprons...

Mike C

wcampbell

So I'm in Virginia - actually in Gainesville, but never seen the car around. Having read this thread pertaining to potential lack of a title I have to say in recent years any cars without clear titles are getting harder and harder to legitimize in various states. I recently bought a car and one number was transposed on the seller's state title. I had to fight and argue that the car had all of it's serial numbers as well as a clear out-of-state title (albeit with one transposed number). In the end I had to go back to the originating state and ask them to correct and re-title BEFORE Virginia would even look at it. Even after all of that I had to file a special motion to have the car inspected by state law enforcement for "Fraud". It all was okay and worked out once they inspected the car up close, but I have to tell ya - any old raced cars missing a hint of a serial number or a non-clear title face less and less each day getting the car cleared by to normal titled/registration standards. Those days of resurrecting cars from the ground like happened alot in the 80's are gone.

CharlesTurner

Seems the additional value being added due to being an original 65 Shelby chassis cannot be fully realized unless the car is returned to a more legitimate version with a clear title.

While I certainly appreciate all the work that went into this car and who it was done by, the exact same overall experience can be attained by not starting out with a 65 Shelby chassis.  Maybe it was done primarily for historic racing reasons, but since this particular car had no vintage racing history, then I'm fuzzy on why it was so important to convert a real 65 Shelby to a race car?

Basically, the additional value over the same car, starting as a 6 cylinder fastback, is only 'potential' value of it's worth put back as a street version 65 GT350.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Dkutz

So this car is now posted on Hemmings and has been restored back to street form.  Wonder how accurate it is?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/shelby/gt350/2575282.html

GT350Lad

Would love more pics on the Hemmings site but it looks ok from the limited pics. Any thoughts?
Any more details on the restoration?

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

FL SAAC

A very succinct description of the vehicle :

VIN #: SFM5S471
Transmission: Manual
Condition: Excellent
Exterior: White with Blue Stripe
Interior: Black
Seller's Description:

1965 Shelby GT350 (SFM5S471) - just completed a concours restoration by Conover Racing & Restoration Inc. 

Price: $525,000
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bigfoot

Quote from: Dkutz on April 28, 2022, 02:17:23 PM
So this car is now posted on Hemmings and has been restored back to street form.  Wonder how accurate it is?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/shelby/gt350/2575282.html

Seller is long time member of SAAC and one of the best restoration shops in the nation for early cars.  They will have done a beautiful and accurate restoration.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

GT350Lad

Agree it looks pretty tidy . Big change
6S373
6S1276