News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

68 Shelby tail panel hole covers

Started by cascade-classics, March 25, 2019, 03:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cascade-classics

oes anybody reproduce these hole covers that screw onto the steel tail panel?  If not does anyone have a complete set?

Coralsnake

Tony Branda has fiberglass reproductions.

No one makes them in steel

cascade-classics

Thank you.  I noticed Branda says not all 68 Shelby's came with these.  When the body shop took the car apart they said there was none there so maybe they were right.  The holes for the screws that hold them in place are there however.

Coralsnake

I cant tell you where they get their information. All cars had the block off cups. Some very early cars did not have the larger cups.

KR500

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 25, 2019, 05:13:36 PM
I cant tell you where they get their information. All cars had the block off cups. Some very early cars did not have the larger cups.
I will add this, when I got 02267 it had never been apart in the rear and it has the holes and screw holes for the plates ( cups) but there were no plates with no evidence of them ever being there either. A mistake at A.O. Smith? Probably.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Side-Oilers

So, (in the photo of the lime car) are the rusty hex-head fasteners (and sheet metal covers) there originally from FoMoCo, for Mustangs and Cougars to use the same back panel?

Were the end covers applied at Smith?  They all look fairly crude to me.

Are the shinier Philips-head screws (on lime car's end covers) correct?

This pix of my white KR from 1987, when it got its one and only repaint, seems to show those end caps affixed with the same hex-head fasteners as the inner caps.

What say ye, all knowledgeable '68 aficinadoes?

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Coralsnake

The covers were installed by AOSmith. Smith drilled the holes, and added the covers. They typically used the hex head screws. The covers had rope caulk to seal them to the tail light panel.

The Cougar tail light panel is significantly different

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Krelboyne

Those tail light cups were also used on 1968 California Specials.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

SAM83

There was a guy at the Turlock CA swap meet a few months ago that had a set for sale.  Maybe one of the many Mustang part sellers that show up there might have an idea who he is?

Mike_Senar

Possibly Mark ??Caps??  from Fresno?   Or, the Delta Bay Mustang guy (don't remember his name)
                                                           Mike

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge