News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Very Early Venice 427 Air Filter

Started by s2ms, March 25, 2019, 03:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris Speedster

Quote from: s2ms on March 25, 2019, 09:53:13 PM
Quote from: CharlesTurner on March 25, 2019, 08:57:59 PM
Quote from: Harris Speedster on March 25, 2019, 08:55:54 PM
Is that a fram filter?
CA- 181 PL
The air filter?  Those were FoMoCo pieces.

As Charles said those in the photo were no doubt FoMoCo C0AE-9601-C filters. The period Fram replacement was CA-183-PL, long obsolete. Years ago I compared a Fram with an NOS FoMoCo and they were identical.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I thought the nos one I have here looked very much like the one pictured in the Shelby pictures shown.
It is a C- 181- PL though,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

s2ms

John,

I have one of each in old crusty boxes. The CA181PL is the 289 HiPo filter, the taller 427 filter is CA183PL, both long obsolete.

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

Harris Speedster

Quote from: s2ms on March 26, 2019, 12:17:19 PM
John,

I have one of each in old crusty boxes. The CA181PL is the 289 HiPo filter, the taller 427 filter is CA183PL, both long obsolete.

Dave

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dave,
This one has its original box, and yes ,it does say hipo usage, But;
it also says 427 ford, mercury, comet,  fairlaine,

That is why I asked my original question.
Thanks for getting it straight

I am reassured now of how to list it.
john
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Dan Case

427 Galaxie 4V made by Fram®, marked FoMoCo®.

Recently sold the ones I had....cheap.

The 1963-64 High Performance 289 Fairlane and Cobra element was much shorter in height.

Mr. Mannel's book indicates that the change from the 1963 'tuned' (a.k.a. double hump) air cleaner top design to the new flat top 1965 design was a running change early in the 1965 model year. When SFM5S003 was completed there wasn't a street GT350 parts department per se yet but there were plenty of Cobra parts in house.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Harris Speedster

Dan,
Automotive history is always fascinating to me.
Investigations and lots of work go into documenting facts.

Would like to point out a few bits about the air cleaner in topic.
The short one you pictured was Fords first attempt at paper filament air cleaner technology.
As with anything, this is of my best knowledge.

Ford first introduced the paper element in their 1957 Ford line ups.
Ironically, the same filter used on a 1965 Shelby, found its start on a 1957 Ford Thunderbird. ECJ
The Fram box also has it noted >> for usage on the 57 Bird.

Oil bath reigned supreme for literally a 1/2 Century.
There may be an exception, but I never have heard or seen of one.

The Paxton air cleaner paper filament is another ford carry over, which Ford first used in 1957.
I provided a picture in the paxton air cleaner topic in the saac forum.

It too has the Ford oval printed and its rubber was a blueish/ green color.
BTW, same color used on the first paxton air cleaners, and dual four paper element.
As mentioned, a paxton topic on air cleaners has the color shown

I must add, not sure what paxton used beforehand, oil, I would doubt it?

Even though it is out of sequence, ford used E a lot for the start of part numbers in the 50's.
B was commonly used to describe the 50's cars/parts.

And as everybody knows here, C became the 60's car/parts start number.
Respectfully submitted,
John.

s2ms

Thanks for the photos Dan.

I'm still curious why those very early cars got the taller 427 C0AE filter. Wouldn't they have had their OE 289 HiPo filters when they arrived at SAI from SJ? Why not just reuse those as ultimately done anyway?
Dave - 6S1757

CharlesTurner

Quote from: s2ms on March 27, 2019, 11:47:32 AM
Thanks for the photos Dan.

I'm still curious why those very early cars got the taller 427 C0AE filter. Wouldn't they have had their OE 289 HiPo filters when they arrived at SAI from SJ? Why not just reuse those as ultimately done anyway?

Guessing it was done for performance reasons...
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Dan Case

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.