News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1969 GT500 Paint Question

Started by mtdubvee, April 01, 2019, 11:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtdubvee

Hey guys. Im looking for some advice/opinions. I'm about to sell my 69GT500 and the front fenders and hood were sanded back in the day and need repainted. The rest of the car, doors etc have original paint but its chipped and scratched etc.

The entire car could benefit from a paint job.

My question is....Should I just paint the front end and leave what original paint is there for the next owner?

Or should I go ahead and have the rest of the car painted as well?

Trying to figure out if preservation would prevail over fresh paint or not.

If someone wants the car to be really nice they would eventually paint it any. But its a rust free car so also by painting it i dont want anyone to suspect bondo or rust issues even there there are none.

Any help and input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
SFM 5S123

SFM 5S269

1967 GT350 #41 Raven Black 4 Speed

papa scoops

most likely if it need paint, it needs restoration. plan on the car being down a year (market change?) if you do it yourself, chances are it will neve be done, once the new paint is down, the chrome and glass will look ugly, once all new exterior parts are done, the interior will look shabby next to it, so you do the guts, you may as well do the drive train (the easy part) look for all the missing parts (smog etc.) then all the little details ($$$$$). and you wont drive it, you'll be 100k poorer.  leave it alone, dump it buy youre next car done. phred ok, maybe just spot paint the nose.

J_Speegle

Educated buyers would rather see it as it is rather than have a new fresh not as originally done paint job as they are going to wonder what is under that fresh paint, your going to ask more and they will be in their head figuring out what a good paint job is going to cost them and deduct that from the number they have in their head.

Price it accordingly and just tell them you wanted them (the buyer) to see what they were getting without a fresh quick paint job and many will appreciate that

Good luck with what ever you choose to do
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

mtdubvee

Thanks for the reply guys. I think I've decided to just have the front end painted.
I'll buff out the rest and keep it original.
SFM 5S123

SFM 5S269

1967 GT350 #41 Raven Black 4 Speed