Author Topic: Autobiography "the case of the missing cars"  (Read 5648 times)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Autobiography "the case of the missing cars"
« on: March 25, 2019, 04:06:40 PM »
Has anyone seen this episode on MT TV?  The story behind the prototype "Phil spector" Daytona Coupe. The one Dr Simeone  has in his colllection. Seems the story they tell isn't the one I have read about a few times and one being in the Shelby American. So which story is true? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Autobiography "the case of the missing cars"
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 04:24:35 PM »
I saw the episode yesterday and really enjoyed it.  I have no previous story so I just took it at face value.  Will be interested to learn more.  Great show though.

Mark500

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 04:38:57 PM »
The Dorks hosting it are something else. 

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 06:18:20 PM »
It's funny you ask about this episode, as I (literally) just watched it this past weekend.  From what they present, it matches with the stories I've read in the past about the car. 

What was different in the stories you've read in the past?  Just curious, as I'm not an expert on the history of this car.
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 07:11:45 PM »
is this the show with the 2 nerds, short and tall, difficult to watch so much repeating and nonsense speculation and the "curse" BS.

Would also help if they got some facts/statements correct.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 07:13:30 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 08:01:09 PM »
They have incorrect information on a lot of things I heard last night , Ive seen pics of this car sitting outside  behind John Oharas house in the late 70s
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 08:03:03 PM »
well this story was written before the court dates I believe so it is much different than the show. I thought the mother sold the car to the broker after finding an offer in the deceased Daughter's paperwork then the Daughter's male friend sued because he had been given the car from the Daughter. SAAC did a story on it way back then.  this story is from  July 2001. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15149002/death-deception-and-the-4-million-cobra-feature/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:05:21 PM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 08:08:36 PM »
John gave his Daughter the car when he went through a divorce i also believe so he didn't give it to her upon purchase from Phil Spector.  Am I right on that also? Mother got the car out of the storage unit just before it was confiscated for  back storage bills. The friend went to get the car and  it wasn't there IIRC. somebody got a SAAC link to the SAAC article anywhere?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 08:40:54 PM »
Dad (was Specter's bodyguard) bought car from Spectre for $1,000. Daughter ended up with it. I don't know how. The divorce story was she would have to give ex hubby 1/2 value of car and she hated him so much she'd never sell it. I know of at least 20 offers that she turned down. One was a house in Newport Beach. The "buyer" put it in escrow and when the time came she backed out. We went and offered her a paperbag full of money. She seemed receptive and told us to come back next weekend. We went and found out she had moved. The new renters told us she worked at Tiffany's in South Coast Plaza. We went there and as soon as she saw us she came unglued and told us to get out and never come back or she'd call security. Before she committed suicide she signed the title and gave it to her friend. About a week after he went to the storage place and found mom had removed the car and sold it for 2 million. He filed stolen car report. Mom quickly spent/hid the money. Buyer ended up paying another 2 million (I heard that amount) to the friend for clear title to the car. Spectre also claimed ownership after she died but that went away quickly since he was no longer on the pink. I have pointed out on several occasions the current story on the purchase is not what went down - but it makes a cleaner story than the buyer refusing to return the car, hiding it and finally having to pay the going rate at the time.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 11:19:55 PM »
Refer to great article is past Shelby American, sometime is the past 10? years.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 05:27:50 AM »
Refer to great article is past Shelby American, sometime is the past 10? years.
YES that story is pretty much on lines with what I said and "98SVT-was 06GT" added(some parts I didn't know).  There was a court hearing and spector's "OJ Simpson" Lawyer Shapiro showed up and quickly went away. The IRS was closely watching as they wanted their cut(estate tax laws at the time). So waht was said the mother paid the IRS and the male friend got waht was left of it. So the mother blew something like 1/2 mil to a mil, IRS was paid and then the guy got what was left. The Cobra shared storage space with other cars including a GEO Metro IIRC.  I'll try and find the SAAC story and post the links. Simeone said he purchased the car off of Daughter before she died but that isn't truw according to court hearings that were reported and many articles from back in the day. I think if the guy held a signed over title then it wasn't bought "clean" to begin with? Just an observation? Not saying the broker or Simeone did anything wrong but the trailer park Mom probably sold it not knowing it was willed/given to the guy. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 06:17:05 AM »
This article from 2002 says Simeone bought the car from Dorothy Brand-the mother. Pretty much this is what the SAAC article said. https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/cash-settles-daytona-coupe-case-wheres-historic-racer-now

recent CNN article. Can you say FAKE NEWS??  ;D

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/shelby-daytona-cobra-coupe/index.html
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 10:33:15 AM »
   The "TV story" was missing a ton of information. The whole deal was MUCH more complex and FAR more people were involved. The storage facility was less than a mile away and owned by a friend's dad. They knew the car was there and were patiently waiting to "obtain" it for non payment of storage fees . All of a sudden the back fees were paid up and the car was removed. That's when the fireworks began. IMHO Dr Simeone ( thankfully) "out monied"  all the road blocks thrown at him and triumphed .
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 10:55:40 AM »
   The "TV story" was missing a ton of information. The whole deal was MUCH more complex and FAR more people were involved. The storage facility was less than a mile away and owned by a friend's dad. They knew the car was there and were patiently waiting to "obtain" it for non payment of storage fees . All of a sudden the back fees were paid up and the car was removed. That's when the fireworks began. IMHO Dr Simeone ( thankfully) "out monied"  all the road blocks thrown at him and triumphed .
   Randy

Yes, the writers, and researchers if there were any, should be fired.  Hype writing and directing for mass consumption skewing the facts for false drama which is not needed - there was more than enough drama in the reality of this story. 

Thankfully the car is now in hands of those that make sure it's preserved as part of (American) Automotive history.  Thank you Dr. S!

(great museum too, go there if you ever get a chance)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:07:01 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

gjz30075

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 03:02:04 PM »
^^Agreed.   After the Daytona story, they went into another 'mystery' car , an Alfa, I think, and spent another 15 minutes on it, or so.   All
their previous episodes covered only one car.   They could have done the same here and easily had the material to do it.
Greg Z
6S2249