Author Topic: Autobiography "the case of the missing cars"  (Read 5649 times)

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
Re: Autobiography "the case of the missing cars"
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 04:19:26 PM »
I think about 50% of the story they told was bogus.  They never said anything about Donnas Husband.   and if i recall they got the time line wrong on her suicide and didnt mention the stuffed animal she was holding which was spooky.   As for the sale,  my friend Larry Miller called me and told he made the deal to purchase the car as he had been in contact with the agent for a couple weeks . A week later he called and told me the guy stiffed him and it sold it to someone else for what he said was less money that he had already agreed upon.  He speculated that the agent must have made a side deal  with the buyer who at the time was not known.
  Im glad Simeone has decided not to restore it and gets it out for the public to see like he did at Goodwood - maybe we'll se it at SAAC!
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 05:53:18 PM »
The good Doctor's Foundation Museum is indeed incredible. I'm lucky to be only about 1/2 hour drive away, and thus can go almost any time.
I have heard Dr Simeone speak about the Coupe on quite a few occasions, he is pretty low-key about how he bought it. IMHO, he would prefer not to deal in hype or drama - just the cars and their important history. Promotion of the Museum is likely needed to keep attendance (and a few $$) flowing in.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 06:09:19 PM »
Where exactly is the museum?

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 06:22:21 PM »

- Phillip

Here's a link...

https://www.simeonemuseum.org/the-collection

Address: 6825-31 Norwitch Dr, Philadelphia, PA 19153
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 09:06:00 PM »
Thanks JD, that is within striking distance plus I have family in Philly

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 11:35:09 PM »
Years ago i was lucky enought to have the chance to sit in that coupe & let me tell you its not designed for husky guys like me as i had to be pulled back out of that car after having a hard time just getting in the drivers seat. I went to see the lemans winning gt40 twice in last 6 months at the henry ford museum & would have a hard time deciding which special car i would really want (if i ever had the chance to choose yeah right haha).   So what do you guys think which car is more valuable? & which car is more historically important ? since the coupes are much rarer than the gt40s or is racing history more important than the complete  real  interesting story behind the coupe ? Both cars have to  rank in the top of  the list of american cars.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 12:38:16 AM »
Refer to great article is past Shelby American, sometime is the past 10? years.
IRS was paid and then the guy got what was left.
I don't know if he got $$ from the mom as she pretty much gave/hid it all when problems cropped up. The friend did get a (above what was paid to mom) large chunk of money from the buyer as he had legal ownership of the car - but not possession.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 05:13:16 AM »
The car is small, a bit rough and perfect the way it is
I’ve been “up close and personal” to it a couple of times
Thanks to the good Doctor to making it available to see
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 11:48:50 AM »
I think about 50% of the story they told was bogus.  They never said anything about Donnas Husband.   and if i recall they got the time line wrong on her suicide and didnt mention the stuffed animal she was holding which was spooky.   As for the sale,  my friend Larry Miller called me and told he made the deal to purchase the car as he had been in contact with the agent for a couple weeks . A week later he called and told me the guy stiffed him and it sold it to someone else for what he said was less money that he had already agreed upon.  He speculated that the agent must have made a side deal  with the buyer who at the time was not known.
  Im glad Simeone has decided not to restore it and gets it out for the public to see like he did at Goodwood - maybe we'll se it at SAAC!

+1 Jim At least 50% was bogus. This wasn't a wham bam , sold deal. The seller was "shopping" for the biggest wallet. Several people I know "had a deal" to buy it. I think when the IRS came calling with their hand out the seller became highly motivated.
 None of the "in family" legal ownership drama was mentioned on the TV program. They certainly down played Donna's psychosis and all that drama. It was like "OK she's dead , now let's make money on this car and go party." Dr Simeone remained focused on ownership instead of drama and got the car.
    Randy
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:17:27 AM by gt350hr »
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 12:42:54 PM »
- Phillip

In general, "next door" to the Philadelphia airport (PHL), off I-95 at the extreme south end of the City.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

stangman39

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 08:24:34 AM »
I had not read or heard anything about this car or story till this post!
Interesting to say the least and a lady who sure had some struggles.
Can't imagine being set ablaze let alone doing it to yourself!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 11:32:55 PM »
her suicide and didnt mention the stuffed animal she was holding which was spooky. 
It's spookier than that she was holding her pet rabbit that she torched along with herself. I only met her twice - first seemed normal second a totally different person that you would not want living next door.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:34:55 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2019, 06:05:07 AM »
Years ago i was lucky enought to have the chance to sit in that coupe & let me tell you its not designed for husky guys like me as i had to be pulled back out of that car after having a hard time just getting in the drivers seat. I went to see the lemans winning gt40 twice in last 6 months at the henry ford museum & would have a hard time deciding which special car i would really want (if i ever had the chance to choose yeah right haha).  So what do you guys think which car is more valuable? & which car is more historically important ? since the coupes are much rarer than the gt40s or is racing history more important than the complete  real  interesting story behind the coupe ? Both cars have to  rank in the top of  the list of american cars.
If I had to say which one is more important I'd say the Daytona coupe. Why? Because without the success of the Daytona coupes would Ford had turned to Shelby to beat Enzo at LeMans?  Food for thought.
 I, too, am glad Dr S. got the car also as he is a godsend to our hobby buying all those cars and not hiding them away.

So is there anywhere online where the SAAC story from "back in the day" is found? If not when I get the time I'll find it and copy it and post. Gary
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 06:07:03 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)