News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Aluminum Borg Warner T10

Started by no1musclecar, March 29, 2019, 07:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

no1musclecar

Aloha everyone, I've amassed a number of interesting items over the years, and want to sell some but they're unique enough I don't know where to begin, and I could use your input.
First is an early Ford pattern BW T10 main case. Of course it fits a 289 Cobra, but I think it was originally from either the Castner Ford 63 1/2 Galaxie or the 64 B/FX Comet that used to be here in the islands. Both cars now reside in the mainland. I'm leaning towards the Comet, because of the yellow overspray visible on it. The casting numbers were ground off I assume in preparation for polishing, as I'd heard it was shown early on.
The other item is a pair of the original Belanger (?) Tri-Y headers from the HiPo 289 equipped B/FX Stroppe-built Comet, which were removed by the Ford mechanic soon after it arrived in Hawaii, and kept under his house until I recovered them.
The questions are "Where is the best place to advertise them?" and "What are they worth?"
Any help would be appreciated.

Don Johnston

no1musclecar

Aloha Don, I didn't get your PM. Thanks, Robert

TJinSA

I'm speculating here, but I must admit I am one of the folks that would be interested in the headers... That said:

Belanger were good headers in their time, and available as options on a few specialty cars such as the Sunbeam Tiger, but were generally just secondary market.  The tri-Y design is not the best for maximum horsepower, and rarely used in drag racing as equal-length headers became so much more affordable in the 60s.

The market for the headers would be someone who knows they are the correct application for their restoration, and stressing minute detail, be that a prepared car as was the Comet, or a day-two enthusiast.  I suspect, compared to factory headers and original racing designs that are in high demand, the Belangers would be a much harder sell.  Holding out for top dollar will take time and a lot of networking (i.e. even more time).  $200-$400, if not less.

Our resident expert is Randy Gillis; hopefully this thread will be relayed to him.
Tom Kubler
6S296

no1musclecar

Aloha Tom, thanks for your input. The fact that there's probably a target audience of a handful of people is why I made the appeal for assistance, since I'm rather removed from activities these days. Somewhere once upon a time I had some contact info for the guy that bought the Comets that were in Hawaii (see page 39 in The Hemi in the Barn, https://books.google.com/books?id=LyI-bybyax0C&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=earl+safari+char+Drag+racing+in+Hawaii&source=bl&ots=kpwZ608yRd&sig=ACfU3U26o6GTQ5bN1cbgmN5vnxEcPy66DQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiXtcWy95vhAhXiHDQIHZAlDB8Q6AEwAXoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=earl%20safari%20char%20Drag%20racing%20in%20Hawaii&f=false).
Here's some more pictures of the headers.
As you mentioned, the Tri-Y design is a compromise, which is probably why the headers were removed some time after the car arrived in Hawaii. Of course, today, the original drivetrain is long gone from the car, but if the car is going to be restored, these unique items would be important. Mahalo!

no1musclecar

Aloha, I should add that I've poked around garages and parts collections over thirty years here, and may have accumulated other parts for the Comet without knowing it. Things like a pair of Crane Fireball HiPo 289 heads, Spaulding/Grant distributor, COBRA-lettered bellhousing, aluminum oil pan and Weber intake manifold may have also been on the car originally, but since Jimmy Pfluger passed away, I don't know who else to ask.

TJinSA

Aloha!  I think on the upper end, the price would have to be cost effective for a high-end resto to restore those versus having some fabricated from scratch-- likely 2-2.5 $k.

I probably don't account for everything, but that's just reasonning it out.  As the cars have skyrocketed, so has the value of true vintage parts.
Here's to hoping you find the best fit for you and a buyer 👍
Tom Kubler
6S296

camp upshur

Last I heard, Bob Belanger lived in Hawaii and was making motorcycle headers (but the years are catching us all).

gt350hr

Don ,
     You certainly DO have a set of Belanger custom headers.  The reason I say custom is that the secondary tubes ( at the first Y) are MUCH larger than their "normal" street header was at the time. The larger secondary tube diameter helps make power at higher rpm which was the downfall of the tri Ys made back then. They made better torque than a four tube header but lost power above 6,000. If the Comet was "prepared" at HMS in Long Beach ( Signal Hill to be exact)  before making the voyage to the islands , those headers ( IMHO) were made especially for it . Obviously some material and a flange have been added since then. Value is difficult at best. The B/FX cars are few and far between these days and adding them to one might not have any effect of the overall car value either. While an old guy like me appreciates them , many "youngers" don't make the connection. The pipes are more powerful than the Cyclone sourced GT350 headers of the day.
   Nice find,
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Don Johnston

Robert,
You might check with Mike Sheehan, who was restoring his 66 GT350 and 64 Comet Safari.  I beleive both cars and parts have been shipped from Hawaii over the past few years to CA for completing the work.  He may be looking for some of the special parts that were used on the Comet.  As far as Jimmy Pflueger, who I knew well and would see occaissionally in the neighborhood, his recollection of what transpired in the 1950s through 1960s was very limited.  I do not know any of his mechanics from back then that are still around. 

Don 8)

no1musclecar

A huge "MAHALO NUI LOA!" to everyone for offering their assistance. I really appreciate it. Thank you very much!

no1musclecar

Aloha! Just an update. I reached the owner of the B/FX Comet and he has chosen to modify the car, not restore it, so I will be putting the case up for sale, and with minimal interest will probably keep the headers for now. Mahalo!