News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 Shelby GT500 - RM Sotheby’s

Started by Hockeylife, March 31, 2019, 10:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Why does this car have an assigned Tennessee serial number on it? That could be the explanation right there for the hammer price?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

Yes, so what's with this tag?  Was there any explanation?

Seized for taxes or purchased with funds that were ill-gotten?

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

capecodmustang.com

I'm guessing...

And only a guess...

The car was stolen one time and when received by the DOT they reissued their state tag.
I've seen this before
Notice the Shelby Tag isn't original either

But states do this...

pmustang

I have a real nice Shelby clone, replica, fake, whatever. It has all factory VINS and a state issued  VIN plate really similar to this

Bill Collins

State issued VIN tags do not always indicate a problematic past for the vehicle. They are sometimes the result of variations in requirements for title issuance by various states.

Pennsylvania, where I am located, began issuing vehicle titles in, I believe, 1923. So their title requirements have been strict for many years. Contrast this to some states, especially those in nearby New York and New England, where only a registration was issued which also served as proof of ownership. In recent decades, many previously registration only states have enacted title laws, but they are applicable only to vehicles being sold new. There is usually no retroactivity requirement on outstanding registrations previously issued to older vehicles.

Some years ago I purchased a Shelby that bore an old Pennsylvania issued special ID plate. The special ID number appeared on the title, as opposed to the Shelby VIN. But the original Shelby tag and all the stamped numbers were intact and unaltered. The car also had a clean history. I did some research and discovered that the state ID plate had been assigned when the car came into Pennsylvania from Maine in 1967. From what I could learn, whoever processed the paperwork at the time either apparently did not like the fact that the car was on only a registration certificate issued by Maine, or they would not accept the Shelby VIN on what they viewed as Ford product. So they compelled the owner to get a state issued special ID tag in order for a PA title to be issued.

I applied to PennDot to have the Shelby VIN reinstated on the title. For this, they first required an inspection of the vehicle by the State Police, which it passed. I thereupon applied for the VIN correction. After about a month with no response, I visited PennDot for an update, only to learn that the reinstatement had been denied. I was undeterred and pressed up through the layers of management, demanding an explanation. Finally a senior supervisor agreed to speak to me. His response was "This has gone up to the highest level in the adminstration. We are unable to ascertain the reason for our 1967 action, but regardless believe there was good reason for it at the time. So we are unwilling to change that position now".

I was aware that all archived vehicle records were in a warehouse that had been destroyed by a flood in 1972. So he was correct in his statement that they could not ascertain exactly why the original action was taken, since the file on the car was unavailable. So this became an instance of bureaucratic CYA policy. As a footnote, I was eventually able to get the matter resolved by other means.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

GT350DAVE

The car sold at Russo and Steele 1/19. It doesn't have any Ford Vins and has a reproduction tag. The sellers were honest about everything and have copies of a lot of original paperwork(titles etc.) back to I believe 1970 as well as clear ownership history after that. I have talked to people who looked the car over who say it is the real thing. It sold at a major discount because of the stated issues.
Support the SAAC Registry

Bill Collins

Quote from: Frankie on March 31, 2019, 04:07:08 PM
What was your other means?

Since PA never accepted or processed their registration, I contacted Maine and had them reactivate their file for the car, which displayed the Shelby VIN.
It was complicated, time consuming and required a fortunate locating of a previous owner, but preserved the lineage of the vehicle.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

JD

Quote from: GT350DAVE on March 31, 2019, 04:10:15 PM
The car sold at Russo and Steele 1/19. It doesn't have any Ford Vins and has a reproduction tag. The sellers were honest about everything and have copies of a lot of original paperwork(titles etc.) back to I believe 1970 as well as clear ownership history after that. I have talked to people who looked the car over who say it is the real thing. It sold at a major discount because of the stated issues.

SAAC Registrar's - always contact one for the specific year car you're looking at!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

mark p

Quote from: Bill Collins on March 31, 2019, 03:50:06 PM
State issued VIN tags do not always indicate a problematic past for the vehicle...
... I visited PennDot for an update, only to learn that the reinstatement had been denied. I was undeterred and pressed up through the layers of management, demanding an explanation. Finally a senior supervisor agreed to speak to me. His response was "This has gone up to the highest level in the adminstration. We are unable to ascertain the reason for our 1967 action, but regardless believe there was good reason for it at the time. So we are unwilling to change that position now".

Back in the 70's, I used to have a postcard that said, "there's no reason for it - it's just our policy::) :-\ :o
... sounds like it is still valid.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

J_Speegle

Quote from: JD on March 31, 2019, 07:07:03 PM
SAAC Registrar's - always contact one for the specific year car you're looking at!

+ 100,000   :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

5s386

I believe that 2992 sold at R & S Scottsdale 1-2019 for $60K (plus buyer fee)