Author Topic: Looking for 68 Shelby Fog Lamp Bulbs  (Read 3141 times)

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Looking for 68 Shelby Fog Lamp Bulbs
« on: February 08, 2018, 10:13:48 PM »
Can someone point me to a good source for replacement lamps (bulbs) for my 68 GT350 with Lucas fog lights? So far I've searched the Internet and come up with Mustangs Unlimited and Tony Branda ($13 to $15) but they appear to be identical in size, shape and wattage to other bulbs costing as little as $2 that are not specifically listed for this application. Any help is appreciated!

-Kevin
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

PR

• View Profile
Re: Looking for 68 Shelby Fog Lamp Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:30:45 AM »
I picked up some at a European auto parts store, the were like 8 bucks each, I think they were Lucas
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:42:36 AM by PR »

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »
Unless you are concours owner, shouldn't be any difference. Even then, unlikely judge could see any error. I have one original and one replacement from local auto parts store. Can't tell you which is which. Maybe if I disassembled light.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 08:06:01 PM »
Unless you are concours owner, shouldn't be any difference. Even then, unlikely judge could see any error. I have one original and one replacement from local auto parts store. Can't tell you which is which. Maybe if I disassembled light.
I can't remember the last time we disassembled a foglight for concours competition  ;) . Unless the replacement has some oddball color other then silver you should be safe. If a concours judge asks and you admit to it in DIV II then no deduction because it still looks the same . If In DIV I concours ,yes there will be a deduction. In that circumstance I would plead the fifth amendment.  ;D   If the judge can't tell then he can't tell. Maybe if it is killing you knowing that a replacement part is on your car when every other part on your car is factory original including Battery ,tires battery cables etc. I would also replace it with genuine . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 08:15:36 PM »
I should have been more clear that I'm not concerned with concours correctness, just want bulbs that won't set the wiring harness on fire! I'll check with the local auto parts stores and see what I come up with. Thanks for your input Bob, John & PR  :)

FYI This is John Barnes's old 'factory' Jade Green GT350 with a Boss 351, Webers and 200 MPH speedo so correctness definitely takes a back seat to performance. (Insert old peel out emoji here)

1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 11:03:52 PM »
I should have been more clear that I'm not concerned with concours correctness, just want bulbs that won't set the wiring harness on fire! I'll check with the local auto parts stores and see what I come up with. Thanks for your input Bob, John & PR  :)

FYI This is John Barnes's old 'factory' Jade Green GT350 with a Boss 351, Webers and 200 MPH speedo so correctness definitely takes a back seat to performance. (Insert old peel out emoji here)
I think you might be missing the point of my post. Let me be more clear. I am trying to get across the fact that you can get your auto parts store equivalent and not feel guilty that it is not genuine Lucas . It will look concours correct from the outside and no one will be the wiser as long as it is a silver base and clear glass bulb (halogen bulb may look blue through the Fog light lens for instance ). The flutes on the glass lens does not allow you to distinguish nuance details about the bulb inside.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 08:24:31 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Bob. Great information for those who want to keep things correct and I also appreciate the insight on the halogen color difference.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt