News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

The Immortal '68 Shelby

Started by Peter L., April 01, 2019, 08:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter L.

Found a clip on u-tube from the 1968 TV series 'The Immortal'. Any one remember it. The pilot featured a chase between a lime gold fastback and a big 4 door Chrysler. They are being chased through the country and even included the Shelby jumping over a small creek long before the Duke boys did it. lol
  Pretty good footage of the car. Too cool. 
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

shelbydoug

Sure do. There's also a  Pantera  being driven by Linda George. I believe that both of the cars were then owned by Rick Nelson. The car IS in the Registry.

I had gotten a note from one of the twins. I think it was Gunther/Gunner, whatever his name is, that they had kept the Shelby and sold the Pantera. I don't know what happened to it after that.

There is no way to corroborate any of this but the circumstancial evidence tends to fit the theory.

"Rick or Rickie" was just a nickname. I believe his given name is Ozwald and as such was Ozzie Jr.?

I don't remember the Shelby unit number but it is a Lime Gold automatic GT500. I just looked and I don't see it.

Vincent should still have the "index card" for it in the "file"? I certainly gave it to him.

I don't remember all of the specifics. I made the mistake of hanging with Mongo and I can't remember entire days at a time. I think he spiked my drink with something? Ask Mongo to find it for you? You have to wait for him to come to consciousness first though. That could take a few days?  ;)

By the same token, I'm lucky. The horse he punched out never regained consciousness.  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Mongo

Coralsnake

gt350cs

I found it here. Starts at 1:01:43. There sure aren't driven that way any more. Great find!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPIK9phr5yQ

Side-Oilers

"The Immortal" was one my favorite shows when it was in first-run.  As a car-loving kid living in SoCal, I loved all the car action and locations.

Other than Mike Connors starring as "Mannix", Christoper George was the coolest guy on TV to me.  He was a test driver for a car company. 
Too bad it wasn't SA. ;)
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

6s1802

Remember watching The Immortal on the ABC Movie of the Week in 1968 or 69. Believe this was the pilot for the TV show. At 11 years old I knew I wanted a Shelby after that movie.

propayne

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

That's how I drive when I go for coffee on the weekends.

69mach351w

Lol, keep reminding myself, back then it was just another car.  :o

Side-Oilers

Quote from: 69mach351w on April 01, 2019, 10:24:40 PM
Lol, keep reminding myself, back then it was just another car.  :o

Agreed. That landing after the jump looks pretty harsh.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Wedgeman

It was the summer of 1970. I had been going to the car auctions with a dealer friend of my mother's...and was looking for a Big Block Camaro. 2 months had gone by, and I was getting frustrated in my search. I was watching a movie prior to leaving for my graveyard shift one evening, when my little brother yelled at me....."Hey , look at that car, that's a Shelby, you should buy one of them!"..That was the chase scene from ...The Immortal !
  The next afternoon at the dealer auction there were 6 Shelby's....one beat up 67...Four 66 Black/Gold Hertz cars in not too good shape..and one White/Red Hertz car in good condition. I bought that car ..6S531. for $1030.oo + 50 bucks to my dealer friend......later discovering the Gold Paint under those red stripes....the journey had begun... 8)

propayne

^^^ That is an awesome pic Wedgeman.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

shelbydoug

Quote from: Wedgeman on April 02, 2019, 02:38:45 AM
It was the summer of 1970. I as been going to the car auctions with a dealer friend of my mother's...and was looking for a Big Block Camaro. 2 months had gone by, and I was getting frustrated in my search. I was watching a movie prior to leaving for my graveyard shift one evening, when my little brother yelled at me....."Hey , look at that car, that's a Shelby, you should buy one of them!"..That was the chase scene from ...The Immortal !
  The next afternoon at the dealer auction there were 6 Shelby's....one beat up 67...Four 66 Black/Gold Hertz cars in not too good shape..and one White/Red Hertz car in good condition. I bought that car ..6S531. for $1030.oo + 50 bucks to my dealer friend......later discovering the Gold Paint under those red stripes....the journey had begun... 8)

Addictive isn't it? Maybe infectious is a better word? I spent $1100 on my 68. It was the only car available at that moment and the money was close to catching fire so I had to spend it?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Wedgeman

Got any pics of your 68 .Shelbydoug ??