News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Be careful when doing bubble storage

Started by 2112, April 02, 2019, 11:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terlingua11

I'm not actually sure how this is possible. I have a bubble storage unit that I used in my last garage. You unzip the top and lay it to the front of the car. You then drive the car onto the bottom of the bubble. Once the car is in place you then roll the cover over the top of the car and zip it shut long the bottom of the car. At that point you plug it in and the bubble fills with air to encapsolate the vehicle for the winter. Do they make one you actually drive the car into?
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Bob Gaines

Quote from: terlingua11 on April 02, 2019, 11:15:36 AM
I'm not actually sure how this is possible. I have a bubble storage unit that I used in my last garage. You unzip the top and lay it to the front of the car. You then drive the car onto the bottom of the bubble. Once the car is in place you then roll the cover over the top of the car and zip it shut long the bottom of the car. At that point you plug it in and the bubble fills with air to encapsolate the vehicle for the winter. Do they make one you actually drive the car into?
The car bag (car jacket) I am used to using you drive the car on to the bottom section of the bag, get out ,turn the car off, put a car cover on, then lay the top side section of the bag over the car before zipping it up. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

I think of have seen some that have ribs that support the top and sides where you can drive into . The back where you drove in zips up to seal.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Chris Thauberger

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

6s2020

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 02, 2019, 11:26:49 AM
I think of have seen some that have ribs that support the top and sides where you can drive into . The back where you drove in zips up to seal.

Yep, and they are great.

deathsled

I have a car bubble. No longer in use due to broken zippers but how this happened is a mystery. As above comments note, you drive over the base and kill the engine, wrap it up with zippers and then let the fan inflate.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

tesgt350

Quote from: deathsled on April 02, 2019, 02:23:24 PM
I have a car bubble. No longer in use due to broken zippers but how this happened is a mystery. As above comments note, you drive over the base and kill the engine, wrap it up with zippers and then let the fan inflate.

My guess is, His was the one with the Polls so you drive into it then just zip up the End.  I am thinking one of his Cars was really exhausting a LOT of Carbon and he was taking his time fiddling around in the Car before shutting it off and was over come by the Carbon and never shut the Car off.  The Wife, doing what she was told to do stayed with him and she too never shut the Car off.  It seems that everyone was a bit at fault here, including the Dispatcher and the Fire Rescue.

Side-Oilers

Sounds plausible.  Plus this is a reminder of just how quickly sh*t can happen.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Don Johnston

Could happen when having a car in a small garage or shed and leaving the engine running while the entry door is closed.

Bigfoot

This must be a very rare occurrence. Maybe a "one off."   That said,...I still don't fully understand why people (even) use these.  I mean I do,....but it seems tad excessive.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

67 GT350

Just saying, but do you think they planed it? Just saying. It would seem that something was off that a seasoned collector had this happen. Just saying, just saying, just saying.

I am not making light of this tragic event.
RARE  Signature Delete

6s2020

Quote from: Bigfoot on April 02, 2019, 04:27:05 PM
This must be a very rare occurrence. Maybe a "one off."   That said,...I still don't fully understand why people (even) use these.  I mean I do,....but it seems tad excessive.

Cause when they are stored in a shed and not an attached garage, and on acreage in the country, they keep them clean and prevent any mould and mildew through positive air flow.
Also keeps out rodents , geckos, wasps, spiders (red backs) snakes,.........