Author Topic: Any words of wisdom for dismounting and mounting tires on 10-spokes?  (Read 4300 times)

roddster

• View Profile
Re: Any words of wisdom for dismounting and mounting tires on 10-spokes?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 10:35:28 AM »
  Former replys duly noted.

Start by talking to the shop manager that you have classic, hard to replace wheels and that you would like his best tire machine technician on this job.  Then, before he begins, tip that person $20.00 to ensure a good job.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 11:19:58 AM »
  Former replys duly noted.

Start by talking to the shop manager that you have classic, hard to replace wheels and that you would like his best tire machine technician on this job.  Then, before he begins, tip that person $20.00 to ensure a good job.
+1 .Very prudent advice.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 02:59:35 PM »
I ran my tires to 45psi, let it sit over night then redced them to 30psi. Problem solved

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 04:14:59 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. Second version began being made when?

not exactly sure but thinking in the late 60s early 70s. Logic would tell you that they were making them as the radial tires were becoming the norm.   They changed the center hub configuration so you can really tell the difference exterior in the late 80s.   The also machined them  rather than polish the spokes almost to the point that you could cut your finger on a spoke. Shelby Wheel company made all of the service wheels that I know of.
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 05:47:37 PM »
Dismounted the old tires and mounted new today with 100% success.  Modern equipment and careful operator are paramount.  We spent about 2 hours doing a set of five. Seating the beads on 3 out of 5 required upwards of 60 psi and some "coaxing". Rotation on road force balancing machine helped the process.  Observation:  These old cast wheels vary with regard to trueness and run-out.  Amount of weights required to properly balance ran from a very respectable 3/4 oz. on one to the worst which required a total of about 8 oz. (which will be relegated to the trunk). Glad it's over...I was losing sleep in anticipation.
5S071, 6S1467

werthie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2019, 03:46:28 PM »
If you live in the Los Angeles area, I highly recommend P Zero World on Santa Monica Blvd for mounting/dismounting our '66 ten-spokes:

https://pzeroworld.pirelli.com/en-us/los-angeles/overview

they have state of the art equipment, and the technicians really know their stuff.

they also sell new repros of the Pirelli CN36 in various sizes.  i have a set on my Bugeye.

alan
6S929