News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What does CSI mean on the back of 68 shelby type 10 spoke wheels?

Started by BlackCobraKR, September 24, 2022, 03:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackCobraKR

I recently purchased some wheels and on the back side in one area there is a casting CSI. Anybody know what that means? There is also a casting that says USA.

Coralsnake

I dont know for sure, but a good guess would be Carroll Shelby inc.  It doesnt really make them more valuable because Shelby's wheel company continued to make the wheels after Shelby production ended. The molds were eventually sold to others for an even longer run

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 24, 2022, 04:25:42 PM
...... Shelby's wheel company continued to make the wheels after Shelby production ended.
Production had ceased on the 10 spokes. He restarted remaking them when he was doing the 12 continuation 66 convertibles. He gave me a set of seconds for 843. I sold them with the car - (Richard) if you look at the back the machine work didn't quite clean up the casting and they took a little more weight to balance them.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Coralsnake

QuoteIn 1971, Shelby established the Shelby Wheel Company in Gardena, California. The company manufactured and distributed aftermarket specialty wheels

Shelby.com

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 25, 2022, 07:40:02 AM
QuoteIn 1971, Shelby established the Shelby Wheel Company in Gardena, California. The company manufactured and distributed aftermarket specialty wheels

Shelby.com
Yes - but he wasn't producing the 10 spoke at the time. Those came back in 1980 for the production of the 66 convertibles. He started by producing the wheel that was popular at the time. If I remember they were cast in Mexico and machined here.

Looks like the CSI stood for Carroll Shelby International
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

propayne

Very similar to the recalled Rader wheels originally intended for the XR7-Gs that Smith complained to Shelby about.

From 1975

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America