Author Topic: First Convention Tips?  (Read 3790 times)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
First Convention Tips?
« on: July 16, 2018, 07:05:13 PM »
SAAC 43 will be my first convention.   Does anyone have any good advice to pass along that I should know?  Any tips?

My Dad and I are driving from Central Oregon on Wednesday and staying at the host Hotel from Wednesday through Sunday night, then driving home Monday.  We are riding in my Dad's 1994 Lightning pickup, so we will not be entering the track or show events.  We are planning on attending the Denbeste Motors BBQ, which I have heard is at 11:00am on Thursday.  We are also planning on going to the Cobra Experience museum during their social hour.  We have tickets for all three days at the track paid for and also have our banquet dinner tickets.  I am signed up to help assist the concours judging and am really looking forward to that experience.

What else should we do or know to get the most possible from this event?  How much money should I bring for the swap meet?  ;D   
We are very excited and are looking forward to it!  ...... only 15 days away.   :)

Thank you, Brian

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
Re: First Convention Tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 08:43:58 PM »
I've been to the few that have hit the West coast.
Being from the rainy part of the region I forgot the cardinal truth of hot weather events: dress for the weather and bring/use lots of water. Lots more water if you are not used to baking in the hot sun. I like Roush hats as it keeps the sun at bay. I had heat stroke one year because I thought that it couldn't happen to me. In this area of the country it can.

Figure out the most expensive items you want and bring at least that in cash. Bring your paypal account userid/password with you as that may work with some people if you run out of cash.

If the stuff you want in the swap meet is large there may be a 'hire a kid' around to help you transport. You want to bring a small cart and keep it in the truck in case no kids are around.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 10:32:46 PM »
SAAC 43 will be my first convention.   Does anyone have any good advice to pass along that I should know?  Any tips?

My Dad and I are driving from Central Oregon on Wednesday and staying at the host Hotel from Wednesday through Sunday night, then driving home Monday.  We are riding in my Dad's 1994 Lightning pickup, so we will not be entering the track or show events.  We are planning on attending the Denbeste Motors BBQ, which I have heard is at 11:00am on Thursday.  We are also planning on going to the Cobra Experience museum during their social hour.  We have tickets for all three days at the track paid for and also have our banquet dinner tickets.  I am signed up to help assist the concours judging and am really looking forward to that experience.

What else should we do or know to get the most possible from this event?  How much money should I bring for the swap meet?  ;D   
We are very excited and are looking forward to it!  ...... only 15 days away.   :)

Thank you, Brian
Brian, I think you've got a few good events covered but why aren't you going to the show events?  I mean that's where the cream of the crop will be.  Hell,  I'll be there and the chance that you might not bump into me seams like a huge lost opportunity  ;D

QSS

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 10:40:33 PM »
Sign up for the Parade Laps and have a fun cruise of the track in the Lightning.

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 01:47:17 AM »

Thank you, Brian

Brian, I think you've got a few good events covered but why aren't you going to the show events?  I mean that's where the cream of the crop will be.  Hell,  I'll be there and the chance that you might not bump into me seams like a huge lost opportunity  ;D

QSS

QSS,
I will definitely check out the show events as a spectator, just not entering the Lightning in the show or track events.  The Lightning is relatively stock.  I hope we do bump into each other.   :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:50:05 AM by silverton_ford »

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 01:48:38 AM »
Sign up for the Parade Laps and have a fun cruise of the track in the Lightning.

Thank you Don.  I will try to convince my Dad that he should do that.  :)

I think I met you at Monterey in 2015 at Laguna Seca.  I hope I meet you again this year.

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 01:56:30 AM »
If you see this red 1994 Lightning, you have found us.  :)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 02:02:11 AM »
I've been to the few that have hit the West coast.
Being from the rainy part of the region I forgot the cardinal truth of hot weather events: dress for the weather and bring/use lots of water. Lots more water if you are not used to baking in the hot sun. I like Roush hats as it keeps the sun at bay. I had heat stroke one year because I thought that it couldn't happen to me. In this area of the country it can.

Figure out the most expensive items you want and bring at least that in cash. Bring your paypal account userid/password with you as that may work with some people if you run out of cash.

If the stuff you want in the swap meet is large there may be a 'hire a kid' around to help you transport. You want to bring a small cart and keep it in the truck in case no kids are around.

Bill, I appreciate the heads up.   Luckily living in Oregon brings all forms of weather, so we will be prepared for both heat and cold conditions.  A habit of always packing a sweat shirt and shorts hasn't seemed to go away after all of these years.  A cooler in the pickup with cold water and beverages will also be a must!  :)

I love swap meets.  I go to as many as possible in the Pacific NW, so it will be a treat to see some "new" vendors I don't usually see at local meets.  Amount of money to bring is always a funny subject, some meets you find everything you need and you need buckets of money, but sometimes you don't find anything and have to go home empty handed.  The thrill of the hunt for that elusive part is only part of the fun in this hobby.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 04:46:19 AM »

Thank you Don.  I will try to convince my Dad that he should do that.  :)

I think I met you at Monterey in 2015 at Laguna Seca.  I hope I meet you again this year.

Yes, we did meet then.  Looking forward to finding you at SAAC-43. 8)

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »
Look forward to seeing you there Brian.  Will keep an eye open for your red lightening.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.