Author Topic: DRAG RACING is ON!!! The Howard Pardee Challenges will have cash prizes ,  (Read 14433 times)

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
 not trophies.  YES we had to change the name. Seems as though Howard claimed the idea was HIS  and Rick stole it.  Rick thinks Howard "bought me off". They arm wrestled for a while and the title has changed for fear of 'the Spanish Inquisition". It's true one of them has graciously made available  $250 ( of J. Bittle's money )  for two 8 car each eliminator classes. Rick said using Bittle's money might attract other fish( sponsors) and raise the "pot". While being a much accomplished road racer , Howard has always had a nagging question , who is the clubs fastest ( or best) drag racer? Now with the aid of JBA sponsorship money (Howard said you know Rick wouldn't crack his wallet!) he will finally know. The two categories will be......
   "Original"  cars MUST be 62-70 ONLY SAI ( LA ) or SAI (MI) produced vehicles. NO replicas , continuation, tribute, H&M etc. There will be LIMITATIONS to keep the field somewhat equal. 10" maximum rear tire width , PRE '70 induction systems ONLY produced by SAI or Ford. NO aftermarket induction. PRE 1970 FORD produced cylinder heads ONLY NO aftermarket. More information to come as I get it.
   "OUTLAW"  ANY vehicle built to resemble,  and or ALL continuation , SAI (LV) , current Ford production , etc. Ford powered ONLY. ALL participants MUST have all NHRA legal safety equipment.  "Starts" will be "instant green" like the popular TV shows are. This will allow late model guys to flex their muscle against the old school cool guys.
   A small additional entry fee "may " be imposed to compensate the runner up and or semi finalists.  Maybe Paradise wheels will put up contingency money for using a Paxton blower in the Original class. Cobra Automotive might want to put up a couple of bucks. I will be looking  for others too. The more sponsers , the bigger the "pot" to win.

For those who want to simply do the "fun runs", check the lug nuts , leaks , seat belts, helmets , overflow "catch can" etc in advance. Doing the checks now allows us maximum use of our three hours. To ALL those who have participated in the past THANK YOU!!! Your courtesy to track officials and car preparation  was THE reason the track allowed us back on the strip!!! They enjoy having us.
     More to come and don't hesitate to email me with ANY questions regarding the Drag Race portion of this convention.

Randy Gillis
      PS  Wile I have had some "anonymous" donations pledged, Pardee will NOT buy his way into the "Original" class. You have my word on that ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:05:34 PM by gt350hr »
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
You've eliminated ALL of my unfair advantages? Jee-ze!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
You realize, of course, with Rick Kopec's name on this, my first reaction is to check calendar to see how close we are to April 1st. :D
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

gt350hr

• View Profile
   No ,  The original class should still work for you. It has no cubic inch limit , year of manufacture of block or material for that matter, BUT it must have been available from FORD . (hint, hint) Cylinder heads are similar except for the year stipulation '69 or earlier. C6FE , C8FE , SK, C9ZE all legal. Intake selection could be a Cobra , single , dual , Weber, tri power or any other manifold made by FORD prior to '70. Tunnel port , Boss all fit the rule. Head swaps are limited by the FORD manifold rule to the 289-302 engines.
     The idea Doug is for the cars to "look stock".  Even wheels will be restricted to original style or optional. American Torque Thrust are OK for ANY year. Super light spun or billet or "dish" aluminum wheels not allowed.
     More to come on the official thread.

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Randy
I sent you a PM
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
When Kiwi was alive he was the fastest and the best.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

gt350hr

• View Profile
   UPDATE !  The "pay out" has risen to $450 for the "original class"thanks to soon to be announced co sponsors and a "year specific BONUS"  has been offered if the winner is a '68! This is just the first few hours of the reveal. Thanks to all this will be an epic event.
      Randy
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:29:23 PM by gt350hr »

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Randy, this will be great and its great that you and others stepped up to get this going - should be a lot of fun....

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
   No ,  The original class should still work for you. It has no cubic inch limit , year of manufacture of block or material for that matter, BUT it must have been available from FORD . (hint, hint) Cylinder heads are similar except for the year stipulation '69 or earlier. C6FE , C8FE , SK, C9ZE all legal. Intake selection could be a Cobra , single , dual , Weber, tri power or any other manifold made by FORD prior to '70. Tunnel port , Boss all fit the rule. Head swaps are limited by the FORD manifold rule to the 289-302 engines.
     The idea Doug is for the cars to "look stock".  Even wheels will be restricted to original style or optional. American Torque Thrust are OK for ANY year. Super light spun or billet or "dish" aluminum wheels not allowed.

My engine is made of unobtanium. My tire treads are 12". It's a Doug Nash 5 speed. The chrome is really light weight plastic. I'm not changing it all our just for $450.  :(

...oh, and I can't drive with a helmet on either.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 10:18:05 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Cobrask8

• View Profile
You are aware that Kopec has a less than glorious drag racing career.......

SAcobra427

• View Profile

Hey I was there that day ! It was around 92 or 93 degrees with a track temp of over 130 !
1968 GT500 KR conv. #2295
2005 F350 DRW SB 440/925
2006 Ford GT 656 RWHP
2015 Porsche 911 turbo S
2017 GT 350 575hp on E85
ERA # 833  511" FE

Joined SAAC waaaaay back in 1979

gt350hr

• View Profile

The "Outlaw" class is for cars that don't fit the "original" template.. The helmet is not an option , it's a must.

My engine is made of unobtanium. My tire treads are 12". It's a Doug Nash 5 speed. The chrome is really light weight plastic. I'm not changing it all our just for $450.  :(

...oh, and I can't drive with a helmet on either.

gt350hr

• View Profile

"I" have a less than glorious road racing career . Doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching it.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
What? No vintage Vespa Class for the Howard Challenge Award? 

gt350hr

• View Profile
 Actually the track won't let Howard race a two wheeled vehicle. Something about the condition of his leathers!