Author Topic: Walk MS 2019 - on "Cobra Jet Day" - fundraising - please help  (Read 3064 times)

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
I've signed up for a Walk MS event here in South NJ for 2019.
Maybe it's some kinda cosmic coincidence, but this year it falls on "Cobra Jet Day" - 4/28  ;D
As many on here know, my wife has been hit hard by Multiple Sclerosis.
For anyone that isn’t familiar, this is a nasty neurological disease that is mainly found in women ages about 25 to 50. There is no current prevention or cure, leaving loved ones and care-givers feeling mostly helpless.
Nancy was diagnosed with MS back in the mid-90s - while still in her 30s. At first there were only minor troubles, but since 2006 she has been in a wheelchair and has continued to lose more function over time   :(
There is plenty of further info on the National MS Society website, if you are interested.
We attended to the Delaware Valley Chapter MS Society "Convention" a while back... the thing that struck me the most was the need for research $$.
Thus - I fundraise by doing the Walk MS event. To make a donation - Simply click on the link below,  or contact me via PM or email:
https://secure.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?fr_id=30565&pg=personal&px=4766859

Any donations are helpful.
We have been blown away by support of SAAC-ers for past events and are very appreciative  :)
Thank you for your consideration,
Mark
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Walk MS 2019 - on "Cobra Jet Day" - fundraising - please help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 06:12:17 AM »
Prayers and a donation on the way. Hope you surpass your fundraising goal.

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 09:29:38 AM »
Thanks Steve  :)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 09:38:57 AM »
Good luck Mark!

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 12:54:44 PM »
Thank You Paul! 8)

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 11:21:19 AM »
Now less than a week to go until the Walk event... bumping a reminder - there is still time donate.
Thanks, Mark

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Walk MS 2019 - After Action Report
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 01:19:16 PM »
Thank You for the support for the 2019 version of Walk MS.

Sunday dawned very gray, with a slight chance of rain according to the Weather Channel. Temperature was cool, probably about 60 degrees F when the Walk kicked off at 10 AM. Captain Mark suggested that attendance looked on the low side, likely due to the weather conditions.

We started with the clouds, but by the 2nd Lap (of 3), we had light rain. Washington Lake Park's paths meander along or through mostly wooded areas, so the trees helped keep the participants  and volunteers from getting soaked. It did appear that a lot of folks walked one Lap and departed. During Lap 3, I quipped to the Park Rangers - standing in the roadway with no tree cover - that the forecasters would say that weather is "fluid", and sometimes the fluid falls from the sky   ::)

I kept going for the full distance - stated to be 3 miles(?) - as did Captain Mark, his Dad, and other family members. Mark has the support of 4 generations of Leiperts on the team... an impressive group of "Minions" indeed. Our Team appears to be #2(!!!) - of 55 teams - in total fundraising at this event. I'll try to post the Team photo when I get one.

All-in-all, a very successful event. HUGE Thanks to SAAC forum members... our efforts totaled yet another "personal record" for me in Walk MS fundraising...
FANTASTIC.  :)  :)
Here are some of the Participants ready to start:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 09:30:06 AM by mark p »

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 04:54:24 AM »
Mark,

Thanks for going the full distance in spite of the weather. I give because it’s an extremely worthy cause. But it feels better to support that cause through someone like you who is so committed to the effort.

Steve

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 05:31:58 AM »
I've signed up for a Walk MS event here in South NJ for 2019.
Maybe it's some kinda cosmic coincidence, but this year it falls on "Cobra Jet Day" - 4/28  ;D
As many on here know, my wife has been hit hard by Multiple Sclerosis.
For anyone that isn’t familiar, this is a nasty neurological disease that is mainly found in women ages about 25 to 50. There is no current prevention or cure, leaving loved ones and care-givers feeling mostly helpless.
Nancy was diagnosed with MS back in the mid-90s - while still in her 30s. At first there were only minor troubles, but since 2006 she has been in a wheelchair and has continued to lose more function over time   :(

Hi Mark

There is plenty of further info on the National MS Society website, if you are interested.
We attended to the Delaware Valley Chapter MS Society "Convention" a while back... the thing that struck me the most was the need for research $$.
Thus - I fundraise by doing the Walk MS event. To make a donation - Simply click on the link below,  or contact me via PM or email:
https://secure.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?fr_id=30565&pg=personal&px=4766859

Any donations are helpful.
We have been blown away by support of SAAC-ers for past events and are very appreciative  :)
Thank you for your consideration,
Mark

Hi Mark

I totally understand you and your wife’s condition as i was diagnosed with MS in 2004 when I had just turned 40. I was told I’d be on a walking stick by 50 and in a wheelchair after that. I celebrated my 55th birthday n Friday.

Well I’m hard headed and so far I can still walk with some difficulty but I drive when I feel good enough too do so.

Belief in ones self and never giving up are at my core. Having family and friends that can see the signs and understand when times get tough is my greatest strength.

Please relay my words to your wife and make the most of every opportunity there is.

Sincerely

Ross

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:33:37 AM by GT350AUS »

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 09:31:30 AM »
^^^ will do, Thank you  :)

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 05:14:57 PM »
Here's our Official team photo... we've got quite a few with some gray hair (or hiding it under a hat)  ??? and a couple of very young ones as well  :)