Author Topic: A proposed class for those cars... not so concours...  (Read 13953 times)

TJinSA

• View Profile
A proposed class for those cars... not so concours...
« on: April 10, 2019, 10:15:53 PM »
The discussion about color changes on a concours participant, ( http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=5278.0 ) brought out the discussion of cars that aren't quite concours.  I believe the current show classes leave a significant number of people from showing their cars, that would otherwise attract a lot of discussion and appreciation for what the cars were, when they were.  Let me throw something out there, along these lines... to attract those cars not otherwise concours correct, but faithful representations of their time and owners... a Period-Correct class.  To prevent it from just being a Concours spill-over, require no less than 2 major and 3 minor visible, owner-performed modifications.  All modifications must be appropriate to within a + - 5 year window of production.  Owners must have documentation of the part/modification being available and practiced within the window.  Anything not documented or outside that window is a deduction, or basis to not be in the class.

While I have thought of benefits to the club, owners, and how to determine definitions for this, I will leave that to further discussion.  Thoughts?
Tom Kubler
6S296

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: A proposed class for those cars... not so concours...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 10:25:54 PM »
There is a show - it's the "People's Choice" car show each year at the SAAC national and ALL cars are welcome, not judged, and the People Pick the winners in every year and model class regardless of "correctness".  And it's hundreds of dollars less to enter!  It's a line item you can select to participate in listed on the SAAC Event Registration form(s). 

Always fun, interesting and well enjoyed.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 11:13:11 PM »
I think placing period cars against M2 suspension, tubbed, coyote-powered cars, etc is a disservice to the enthusiasm the cars generated in their time.  My experience is that the subtle time-capsule cars are rarely shown, greatly appreciated, and deliberately not brought out.  Just my opinion.
Tom Kubler
6S296

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 11:53:52 PM »
I think thats what they call a day 2 car... Cars that are raced, driven, shown, and just plainly enjoyed the way they were meant to be enjoyed. ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 11:54:26 PM »
The rims on my vehicle would eliminate me from this class as well. I went with 17" because of tire choices. The 15" rims sit in the boxes the 17" rims once resided.
                                                                    -Keith

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 12:01:18 AM »
Why eliminated?; the rules and allowances haven't even been drawn.
Tom Kubler
6S296

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 12:12:43 AM »
I stayed with primarily era common modifications. The Arning drop and the traction masters were there.  The 17" rims, albeit the same design as available wouldn't qualify being 17" wouldn't have been available. The hookers certainly were though!

-Keith

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 12:32:46 AM »
I think a case for a single, period- looking mod could be consdered on something bolt-on, further modification required, consumable like tires could have a place in a period class, if the rules are structured thusly, but with a class focus on period-ness, the benefit of any leeway would have to go to period pieces, or reproductions there-of.
Tom Kubler
6S296

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 12:54:04 AM »
It would be pretty tough to pick a winner with so many variables...How do you assign points to an eight track deck or after market mags or seat covers or or or......ad infinitum... :o

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 12:56:36 AM »
It would be pretty tough to pick a winner with so many variables...How do you assign points to an eight track deck or after market mags or seat covers or or or......ad infinitum... :o
Or deduct for that matter. Good point.
                                                 -Keith

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 01:04:36 AM »
Point taken. Documentation of the mod, the window period, and establishment of the rules are open for discussion.
Tom Kubler
6S296

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 01:21:50 AM »
Point taken. Documentation of the mod, the window period, and establishment of the rules are open for discussion.

Quality of execution.

Ever see a Singer Porsche? It is an extreme example but they are freaking works of automotive art.

http://singervehicledesign.com/works/

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 01:33:08 AM »
Maybe Leon's Galaxie or Strope's Insane Fairlane would be more appropriate examples

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V-BL7G5m98M

This car is off the hook;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UonisqLOnXo

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 05:22:56 AM »

Quality of execution.

Ever see a Singer Porsche? It is an extreme example but they are freaking works of automotive art.

http://singervehicledesign.com/works/

Seriously beautiful stuff.   
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 06:32:06 AM »
I did the People’s Choice at SAAC 34 and I seem to recall every car was vintage.......
Close to what we are talking about here. Has it changed?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI