Author Topic: A proposed class for those cars... not so concours...  (Read 13945 times)

papa scoops

• View Profile
Re: A proposed class for those cars... not so concours...
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »
day 2 cars I can live with, do it yourself junkpile restorations, don't waste my time. phred

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2019, 11:13:03 AM »
There is a show - it's the "People's Choice" car show each year at the SAAC national and ALL cars are welcome, not judged, and the People Pick the winners in every year and model class regardless of "correctness".  And it's hundreds of dollars less to enter!  It's a line item you can select to participate in listed on the SAAC Event Registration form(s). 

Always fun, interesting and well enjoyed.

This......

Maybe all it needs is a few provisions and “off we go..”
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2019, 11:49:41 AM »
day 2 cars I can live with, do it yourself junkpile restorations, don't waste my time. Phred

THAT'S IT, Phred! You got it! I want to see cars out there without modern drive trains. 18s. Tubs, etc. That flash may intrigue the casual observer; but not for those appreciative... of machines that wear their history on their sleeves, a corral of nuance, and not museum pieces, clapped out converted 6-bangers, pro-street, and contemporary resto-mod horse pucky.

What's the attraction of barn finds? I think in some ways it's a vicarious experience of discovery of, "Wow! That's different.  What's the history, or origin of that?"  I gather it's just a few that the... dusty, experienced to rejuvenated, not updated cars engage us... mentally.  It's not insuring everybody goes home with a hollow participation trinket.  I hadn't thought what I put out there was self-serving, but I guess it was.  At Rodding events, I like the effort put into a flathead Ford, or nail-head Buick over a dime store chromed out SBC.  I greatly value that nod from the knowledgeable, the fascination of the of the common man and enthusiast alike, rather than a small specialty group that are not self-serving.

Maybe it's time to lock this thread down.  My experiences were there's a growing type of car, that's engaging to people,  that is only stumbled upon.  Yep, Face it, our cars are antiques.  Rueben... good luck with that car if you ever knock the cobwebs off of it.  The local city council ...person is going to go for that spiffy Eleanor sitting next to it.  Your ears will forever be filled with "experts telling you what's WRONG, rather than what's RIGHT with it.  I tell you...it's a negativity trap, and too difficult to attempt definition.  Restore it to concours, and loose the history, the personality, except for stories and photos.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 01:30:48 PM by TJinSA »
Tom Kubler
6S296

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2019, 03:59:48 PM »
Kermit the Frog said, "It's not easy being green."  Preserving a car to a point in time of it's history other than a date of manufacture is not easy either.
Tom Kubler
6S296

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2019, 09:35:46 PM »
Phred, what is a "junkpile" restoration in your humble opinion?   I know many don't like rims larger than 15" but they aren't practical in reality because of such a limitation of tires. I chose 17X7 and 17X8.  Because of the tires chosen it avoids having the "rubber band" tire look. I still have the 15X7 rims. Others are just stuck in the 50's and 60's.

-Keith

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2019, 09:56:06 PM »
Let me be first to offer my services as a Judge in the KUMBAYA class.
Since so much will likely be arbitrary and I’ve had a few of these cars.

Who will be next....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2019, 09:57:26 PM »
Might sound like some sarcasm there but I’d be happy to offer my services
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2019, 10:03:09 PM »
Well,my car has a cassette deck in it now,would I get more points for an 8 track???(because I have one in my closet) Do I get extra points for the 6x9 speakers that a pot cut out the rear interior panels for? I already have a hurst shifter in it but will a novelty shift knob up my point total?  :o

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2019, 11:44:40 PM »
I want to say up front that I have owned concours-level cars (not Shelbys) and I understand and appreciate the effort made by everyone to build and judge such high-level cars. 

The following suggestion comes from the part of me who likes fun driver (Day 2) cars:

What if the Day 2 cars were not judged on a point-basis, but with a more relaxed attitude towards period-correct mods?

Maybe the cars could be grouped in "1960s mods" , "1970s mods",  "1980s mods", etc, classes.  Meaning, the era in which their modifications were made, or have been built to emulate.

This would be different from the "People's Choice" and "Car Corral" type of things that already exist.

I think there would be plenty of guys like me, who are not looking for a trophy, but would have fun being "checked out" by a panel of informal judges, like Biggie suggested.  Thus, the guys with the old school 6x9 speakers would get a nod of appreciation from the "1970s mods" officials.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:02:23 AM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2019, 01:44:52 AM »
I remember when your car hadn't arrived unless it had a Pioneer deck and 6 x 9" Jensen speakers.

Extra points if you had a graphic equalizer and could put your Jensens on the roof when at the lake. 

8)

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2019, 02:23:22 AM »
What if the Day 2 cars were not judged on a point-basis, but with a more relaxed attitude towards period-correct mods?
This would be different from the "People's Choice" and "Car Corral" type of things that already exist. ...
-or-
Not judged in traditional sence, voting limited to class members, judges, and participants of higher division classes...or just Div I, II and thorough bred... voted on by the assumed most knowledgeable
Tom Kubler
6S296

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »
Well,my car has a cassette deck in it now,would I get more points for an 8 track???(because I have one in my closet) Do I get extra points for the 6x9 speakers that a pot cut out the rear interior panels for? I already have a hurst shifter in it but will a novelty shift knob up my point total?  :o

Yes
Yes
Hurst should have Hurst
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2019, 04:22:01 PM »
I remember when your car hadn't arrived unless it had a Pioneer deck and 6 x 9" Jensen speakers.

Extra points if you had a graphic equalizer and could put your Jensens on the roof when at the lake. 

8)

That is so true!
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2019, 06:27:08 PM »
If we're going that route it should be a Shelby type vehicle. That is what the SAAC is. Not Fairlines. They have their own circle.

-Keith

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2019, 08:55:44 PM »

8)
. I used to have a COBRA equalizer in my 500 but I took it out...With recent developments maybe that was a mistake..... >:(