News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

What kind of dates would you expect to see on glass?

Started by BGlover67, February 09, 2018, 06:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

What are the current thoughts about glass dates?  How much sooner would the glass dates be as compared to the San Jose date on a 1967?  Are they all about the same (Windshield, side, rear, etc), or were some pieces completed earlier than others?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

6S1568

Brian, All the glass on 6S1568, front, sides, vents, and back window, are all dated January 1966. As far as I can deduce, the car was assembled mid-March 1966 at San Jose. All glass is original. I hope this helps, let's see what others have to say. Denny

J_Speegle

Brian in an effort to provide the best possible guess or range can we know then you car was completed at San Jose?  Reason is that there may have delays or issues during one period of production not seen in another.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

BGlover67

Thanks Jeff (and Denny).  I actually was inquiring in a general sense after speaking with a friend who is looking to purchase a GT350 from the first week in May.

Still, I would be interested in the dates that would be appropriate for No 26.  It's San Jose date is 10/10/66.  Thank you as always.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

J_Speegle

Quote from: BGlover67 on February 10, 2018, 08:47:02 AM
Still, I would be interested in the dates that would be appropriate for No 26.  It's San Jose date is 10/10/66.  Thank you as always.

Don't have any examples from that same couple of weeks (yours plus or minus a week in either direction) but looking at a slightly wider range during the same season of the year and comparing the year prior (same time of the year as your car and same plant) I can offer the following information.

Dates seem to range from within the same month out to 3 months prior to the build month

For the May car I have dates 1 month to 5 months prior to build month.  Maybe has something to do with other unknown influences such as supply, transport time or supply plant issues that year that part of the year.

Sampling group is small but its a place to start
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Though never enough samples IMHO what I did find is that typically they fell into the 1-3 month range prior to the month the car was completed on for this plant and year. Even took a look at the prior year just to compare. Some cars would have one piece of glass that might be out of this range which would suggest that you look at that area or glass a little closer to see what else you can find if your inspecting a car.

Hope this  helps in some way

greekz

Brian,

My car is a May 3rd SJ completion.  I will check my dates on Monday.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

67350#1242

1242 Ford assembly 2/1/67 has 7A dates on all glass except windshield (ws is replacement Carlite).
Correction - on closer inspection passenger door glass is 6M - vent is 7A.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

papa scoops

rule of thumb, look at the dates on the rest of the glass, just use that. seems to be the norm from what I've seen over the years. back glass might be off. phred

J_Speegle

Quote from: 67350#1242 on February 10, 2018, 07:28:14 PM
1242 Ford assembly 2/1/67 has 1/67 dates on all glass except windshield (ws is replacement Carlite).

Wow that is different all 5 pieces the same date.  First time I've heard of that happening.

Cars I have records of just before and after had spreads have different months around the car

67350#1242

Jeff, now you got me wondering if what I said is totally true.  I will double check and report back if different - what I said is from recollection and will verify. 

My previous post has been corrected. Thanks, Jeff
Kurt.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

greekz

Quote from: greekz on February 10, 2018, 07:18:02 PM
Brian,

My car is a May 3rd SJ completion.  I will check my dates on Monday.

Greek

The only date code I can see on all the glass except the windshield(replaced) is A7
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

J_Speegle

Quote from: greekz on February 12, 2018, 05:31:44 PM
The only date code I can see on all the glass except the windshield(replaced) is A7

Just so that we understand and I can record this correctly - your reporting that all five pieces of glass have the same A7 date?

Any chance the glass was replaced at some point?  Just had to ask.

See your car was in group 892590  a very different time period and group from #1242 (grp 892573) who reported the same pattern and date. Just thinking out loud

67_1183

Only glass date codes I can see easily this evening is the passenger door and wing.

Passenger door glass 6L
Passenger wing/vent 6M

SJ 1/26/67
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

J_Speegle

Quote from: 67_1183 on February 12, 2018, 09:34:28 PM
Only glass date codes I can see easily this evening is the passenger door and wing.

Passenger door glass 6L
Passenger wing/vent 6M

With age and lighting they can be a pain to see - or just be too poor of condition to read. Just for comparison I have the following just for comparison

- A car likely built (lacking a Marti report on it) within the week prior with a PS vent dated 6M
- A car finished the day after yours with PS door glass dated 7A and a DS door of 6M.