Author Topic: Build sheet location on a Mustang vs Shelby  (Read 3459 times)

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
Build sheet location on a Mustang vs Shelby
« on: April 13, 2019, 01:42:09 PM »
I know where to look on the 68 Shelbys.
For those that do not,...can often be found wrapped up in black tape and taped to wiring under dash.
Have mine.

But what about 68 Mustangs ....

Question(s) is,....

Is that location for Detroit built only cars?
Is that location for only Detroit Big Block cars?

If not,..what are the other locations and variables?

We had a discussion about this on SAAC 1.0 which is now lost in Tsunami.

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Build sheet location on a Mustang vs Shelby
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 02:34:36 PM »
On my car they were also under the rear seat cushion and the drivers seat cushion. I don't know about the passenger seat but probably there also.

I would think a regular Mustang is the same. The difference being the Shelby says Shelby Unit on it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Vcode

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 05:35:29 PM »
I know where to look on the 68 Shelbys.
For those that do not,...can often be found wrapped up in black tape and taped to wiring under dash.
Have mine.

But what about 68 Mustangs ....

Question(s) is,....

Is that location for Detroit built only cars?
Is that location for only Detroit Big Block cars?

If not,..what are the other locations and variables?

We had a discussion about this on SAAC 1.0 which is now lost in Tsunami.

I had a 68 GT (390) (Metuchen) - it was taped to the wiring harness under the dash.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 10:40:38 PM »
Buildsheet location and the possibility of finding one of the two or more dozen printed for each car from my experience seems to be dependent on year, plant and worker/shift.

For 68 Deaborn there would have one attached to the body front and back, possibly one located between the seat springs and burlap that make up one of the seat cushions, and possibly one under the carpet.  You can sometimes find random examples on the back side of door panels or shoved inside a door or interior quarter panel trim panel that likely save the worker a walk to the trash can for his copy

Big block, small block or 6 cylinder would not be something that would have made a difference in this question
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 06:02:10 AM »
I am lucky to be able to work with many many Mustangs and a few Shelbys.

I have only ever found them in two places. Once in the dash on a 65/66, it was at the very top of the dash pod opening wrapped around a wire

Otherwise its been on maybe 1 out of 3 67/67 cars and was always wrapped at the bottom right of the opening around a thick section of the harness, more or less to the right of the steering column and behind the dash pod.

I've had many rear seat out and never found one there. Many front seats out and likewise never found one there.

Just giving my experiences with these cars.

My 68 KR, it was on the main harness. My 66 GT350 no sign of one as expected

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 08:38:26 AM »
My wifes 69 mach, NJ built was between the hardboard and the gas tank. She found it waaaayy back in 1980 and threw it away :o

She told me this (around 1990?), we were married in 1982.

She discribed the buildsheet to a tee!!  And I just cringed :-X

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 09:12:59 AM »
My family has owned our 1969 NJ built Coupe since around 1972.  Never found a build sheet.  Car was built December 1968.
I bought our 1970 Dearborn built Mach 1 in 1991.  Car built December 1969.  Almost complete build sheet was found under the front seat carpet.  Along with a plastic bag with left over interior screws, door switch, clips.  Back seat had about 20 percent of a build sheet under it and was full of 1970 "love beads" (some of us might remember when stringing those was a fad).  But I still chuckle about just WHAT happened in that back seat all those years ago to wind up with 200 tiny beads under the seat.

Build sheets can be found in a lot of places, or not at all (if the line workers actually threw them away as was supposed to be the process).
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

bobg

• SAAC Member
  • CAR 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 11:46:55 AM »

On my 68 Shelby one taped under dash and one under front seat springs. My 69 Mach1 had one under front floor carpet and off subject my 2001 cobra had one between back bumper and foam block under trunk. The only way I found it  was a little bit of the corner was hanging out under car.