News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

5aa Charcoal metalic interior paint

Started by shelbydoug, April 13, 2019, 08:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KR500

Quote from: JD on April 29, 2019, 08:13:40 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on April 28, 2019, 11:53:46 AM

JD. You are saying that the "original formula" that you used was gloss? I thought that it had flattening agent already mixed in as part of the formula?

This is why I don't trust the shop mixing for me. I have experience from that from 35 years ago. Those guys screw up all of the time and you can't tell until you spray and find the color is wrong, then have to go all through the process and do it again.

"Factory" mixed is the best results by far.

Yes, this was in 2006 and gloss is how the paint we got was supplied.  Four of us needed this paint and were having some trouble getting it.  One guy found it and was able to  get a gallon and had it divided into quarts that's why my name is on the quart can in the photo.  We found out how "thin" it was when spraying the first car and stopped to lay-down a dark base to get the coverage.  Mine was the second car painted. One quart JUST did one car.
Let Me explain. The paint formula does indeed have a flattening agent in the mix but I ( We, JD and others ) were not happy with the gloss level on previous mix's of this product so this last batch we had the flatting agent left out so even though it was a gallon mix formula we got slightly less than a gallon of color. I then add flattening agent as needed  to acquire the desired gloss level that matched the factory applied paint. As noted I applied a base of a black/dark grey primer as this paint was so translucent that had I not done this it would have required probably 2 quarts to get the proper color.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

shelbydoug

Quote from: KR500 on April 29, 2019, 09:07:03 AM
Quote from: JD on April 29, 2019, 08:13:40 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on April 28, 2019, 11:53:46 AM

JD. You are saying that the "original formula" that you used was gloss? I thought that it had flattening agent already mixed in as part of the formula?

This is why I don't trust the shop mixing for me. I have experience from that from 35 years ago. Those guys screw up all of the time and you can't tell until you spray and find the color is wrong, then have to go all through the process and do it again.

"Factory" mixed is the best results by far.

Yes, this was in 2006 and gloss is how the paint we got was supplied.  Four of us needed this paint and were having some trouble getting it.  One guy found it and was able to  get a gallon and had it divided into quarts that's why my name is on the quart can in the photo.  We found out how "thin" it was when spraying the first car and stopped to lay-down a dark base to get the coverage.  Mine was the second car painted. One quart JUST did one car.
Let Me explain. The paint formula does indeed have a flattening agent in the mix but I ( We, JD and others ) were not happy with the gloss level on previous mix's of this product so this last batch we had the flatting agent left out so even though it was a gallon mix formula we got slightly less than a gallon of color. I then add flattening agent as needed  to acquire the desired gloss level that matched the factory applied paint. As noted I applied a base of a black/dark grey primer as this paint was so translucent that had I not done this it would have required probably 2 quarts to get the proper color.
Rodney

Oye vey! My friend is right. I should start to drink. At least then I'd have an excuse to have an ulcer?

It would appear that the factory didn't even use a base coat or a primer.

So the answer is, the four of you thought it should finish as virtually flat?

As I said, my '67 is very flat "on the dash" (which is what I'm using as the basis) and the '68 is sort of an egg shell.

Both steering columns appear original and both finishes are similar but to me look like they had an activator in them because they are hard. Neither have any orange peel in them and both if you hold them to the light see the very fine metallic content in them. Metallic fairy dust is what it looks like. :o

The fiberglass panels in the back are a different story.

I think I'll try Tequila shooters? The paint will still suck but I won't care.  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 29, 2019, 10:04:18 AM
Oye vey! My friend is right. I should start to drink. At least then I'd have an excuse to have an ulcer?

As I said, my '67 is very flat "on the dash" (which is what I'm using as the basis) and the '68 is sort of an egg shell.

Both steering columns appear original and both finishes are similar but to me look like they had an activator in them because they are hard. Neither have any orange peel in them and both if you hold them to the light see the very fine metallic content in them. Metallic fairy dust is what it looks like. :o

I think I'll try Tequila shooters? The paint will still suck but I won't care.  ::)

NO, not right - not virtually flat.  30 percent flattener to gloss is not virtually flat.  The only thing flat was the dark base primer.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 28, 2019, 11:03:23 AM
Your challenges in this area demonstrate why the the two stage painting systems are allowed in concours shows. With access limited to various paints, you would potentially be excluding many participants.

+1

Have to look at the big picture.

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

shelbydoug

Quote from: JD on April 29, 2019, 10:41:23 AM

NO, not right - not virtually flat.  30 percent flattener to gloss is not virtually flat.  The only thing flat was the dark base primer.

I need to make a decision on this. I don't have the capability of adding flattening agent as needed. Either I order stock mix or request stock plus 30% additional flattening agent added.

Maybe I can order this like I order a Chef's salad with the dressing on the side?  :o

I need to buy a vowel, I mean ask a second opinion.

Mr. Gaines. Would you care to venture an opinion on this?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TOBKOB

I have been following this thread and I just noticed a couple of days ago that the panel around the SYNC display screen on my wife's 2016 Lincoln MKX is a charcoal metallic paint. The finish is pretty flat  and the sun shining in the window made the metallic really stand out and is why I noticed it. I don't have a part handy to compare but it might be pretty easy to get paint based on this and do a comparison or maybe compare an original part. Just a thought.  :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

KR500

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 29, 2019, 11:03:36 AM

I need to make a decision on this. I don't have the capability of adding flattening agent as needed. Either I order stock mix or request stock plus 30% additional flattening agent added.

Maybe I can order this like I order a Chef's salad with the dressing on the side?  :o

Automotive paint is mixed by weight, so yes you can get the flattener  on the side. Just have them put it in a separate can. Just make sure you have them include the mix formula so you know how much of the formula was flattener, ect. Formula will be x# of grams tint #xx and so on.

shelbydoug

Quote from: KR500 on April 29, 2019, 01:09:31 PM

Automotive paint is mixed by weight, so yes you can get the flattener  on the side. Just have them put it in a separate can. Just make sure you have them include the mix formula so you know how much of the formula was flattener, ect. Formula will be x# of grams tint #xx and so on.

That should be on the contents label?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

KR500

Quote from: shelbydoug on April 29, 2019, 01:17:22 PM
Quote from: KR500 on April 29, 2019, 01:09:31 PM

That should be on the contents label?
No the mix formula is not on the ( paint system can ) label. The paint can labels usually have the directions, warnings VOC content ect. If the paint is mixed at your local supplier the actual paint formula is usually printed out on an adhesive label and then stuck on either the inside or out side of the paint system appropriate label. If the paint is factory packaged there is no formula supplied.

1967 eight barrel

Doug, I'm coming your way next week out of DFW. I can assist. I sent you a PM.

-Keith

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!