Author Topic: 1970 GT 350 Air Cleaner/S Tube  (Read 6872 times)

Stubee

• View Profile
1970 GT 350 Air Cleaner/S Tube
« on: February 10, 2018, 03:00:02 AM »
Congrats on getting the Forum back up.

Is there and S Tube on the air cleaner assembly for a 1970 Shelby GT 350 California emission car?
I have seen pics with and without. Perhaps a few good pics would help if there are any out there.

Many thanks gents.

Stubee

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 1970 GT 350 Air Cleaner/S Tube
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 03:20:20 AM »
Originally they came with a heat shield where the upper part served the purpose of an S tube on a big block (connecting the heat shield to the air cleaner snorkel)

"I have seen pics with and without."  Guess you have been looking at pictures of cars on the internet - not IMHO a real good way to determine what was factory.  Heat shields rust out on some, while on others owners just leave them off after a rebuild or when they swap out the exhaust manifolds for headers.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 04:39:47 AM »
Ok Jeff thank you. I am great full to have this quality of information first hand.

Can you steer me to the Concours Quality parts I would need to put an S Tube in place. I assume there is a manifold component as well.

I noticed on another California car that the S Tube was in place as well as a paper type corrugated  Tube on the passenger side of the air cleaner. It was about three feet long and a one once diameter.

Rust may have been an issue with some cars, I think the day two mods and Holley carbs had a lot of owners jettison some of these items early in many cars lives.

If you have a good picture of the by 350 setup that would be great. I will order the parts you suggest.

Many thanks Jeff,

Stubee

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:15:28 AM »
I had a look around at the various suppliers and haven’t had any luck finding the manifold shield and s Tube for the 351W.

Where should I be looking for these items?

Many thanks in advance,

Stubee

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 10:22:23 AM »
Maybe the california heat shield was different than non-california heat shields - not sure. However, this link below shows the way my 69 shelby gt350 came from the factory.  My car was initially sold in california.  The heat shield and s tube are 1 piece. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-351-W-FORD-MUSTANG-ENGINE-AIR-CLEANER-HEAT-SHIELD-AND-1969-70-SHELBY-GT-350/183063578315?hash=item2a9f7086cb:g:BTYAAOSwE0JY~PZk

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »
we have some 351 w heatshields on ebay now under meyercars    i  collected them back years ago on west coast rust-free ford parts buying trips as these shields are always rusted away out east. These  351 w shields have not been repoed like the 302 has & price depends on condition of rust pitting . we also have 351w snorkels of which are 351w only that the heat shield attaches to.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 11:55:51 AM »
Maybe the california heat shield was different than non-california heat shields - not sure. However, this link below shows the way my 69 shelby gt350 came from the factory.  My car was initially sold in california.  The heat shield and s tube are 1 piece. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-351-W-FORD-MUSTANG-ENGINE-AIR-CLEANER-HEAT-SHIELD-AND-1969-70-SHELBY-GT-350/183063578315?hash=item2a9f7086cb:g:BTYAAOSwE0JY~PZk
Just to Clarify what Ed said- the shields are the same and Ed has some on ebay at a reasonable price IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 12:11:47 PM »
Maybe the california heat shield was different than non-california heat shields - not sure. .............

+1 on them being the same. Saw a rust free one at the swap meet a couple weeks back
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 07:29:57 PM »
Thanks fo the replies guys. That helps me a lot. The pictures and the explanations made it very clear.
Only problem is I went into the meyerscars store and am like a kid in a candy shop. I’ve been there before and loved the parts that were sent.

Many thanks again,

Stubee

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 09:37:44 PM »
My car is missing the heat shield and snorkel. After reading above I want to ensure I understand correctly; all cars including CA cars came with the same heat shield and snorkel? Does anyone have a picture of what it's should look like on the car? Thanks.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 10:39:53 PM »
My car is missing the heat shield and snorkel. After reading above I want to ensure I understand correctly; all cars including CA cars came with the same heat shield and snorkel? Does anyone have a picture of what it's should look like on the car? Thanks.
Yes you understand correctly. The heat shield and snorkel are typically the same regardless. Review reply #4 for a link to a heat shield picture.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 12:11:27 AM »
the 69 -70 351 w mach 1 & shelby  gt 350 heat shield & snorkle are both unique & no repo made & i recently uncovered some that were hidden under other parts ( imagine that) from years ago parts trips out west so i have several to choose from if needed  also air cleaners & price determines condition as heat shields start at 125 & snorkles start at 50

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 01:33:01 AM »
My car is missing the heat shield and snorkel. After reading above I want to ensure I understand correctly; all cars including CA cars came with the same heat shield and snorkel?

Yes all the same all 50 states had the same requirements related to emissions in 68 & 69

Does anyone have a picture of what it's should look like on the car? Thanks.

Pictures - Yes of course ;)

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 05:21:22 AM »
Special Ed PM sent.

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »
Thank you. What is that handle looking part behind the heat shield, it that part of it?