News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

What is the 'Super Mach I'?

Started by Richstang, April 18, 2019, 12:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

This photo popped up last night of a white '68 Mustang Fastback named 'Super Mach I".
Maybe it was just a custom painted car privately owned, but maybe not.
The thin redline tires, custom period rims, and black sail panel treatment are interesting.
Would anyone happen to know more about it or have any other photos.

It looks similar to the '67 Stallion' fastback.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

KR Convertible

Looks like the same rims as L'il Red.

propayne

According to Charlie Henry's Kar-Kraft book, it was a '68 Cobra Jet fastback that Special Vehicles Activities tried out various performance pieces on.

Among other things, it was shipped to a company in England and given a four-wheel-drive system.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

propayne

Great book by-the-way.

Highly recommend.

- Phillip

Coralsnake

Yes, much different from the Stallion

Richstang

KR Convertible;
Yes same as LR. I had to look for the name "Motor Wheel - Spyder"

Propayne;
Thanks for adding the info on the car and group who worked on it (as noted in the 'Kar Kraft' book)
I'd like to see this one with the 4wd mechanicals in place!

propayne

The Super Mach I was a VERY cool Mustang that seems to have gone missing - again, according to the book, no one remembers exactly what happened to it.
It also had fuel injection and 4 wheel disc brakes and what was basically the Boss 429 suspension.

The Motor Wheel Spyders are perhaps best known for being on Ed Schartman's Boss 429 Cougar.

- Phillip

tesgt350

roddster

Comes with the 320H.P. 390.  But, a 410 H.P> 390 and a 427C.U. was optional.  Wonder how many were built?

Coralsnake

Pretty sure it was a dealer program in Canada only

TransamEd

The car that followed the 1967 Stallion at Mainway Ford for 1968 was the Mustang GTS called car. Only one found so far.

The Super Mach 1 looks outstanding. From the Ferguson 4-wheel drives Mustangs this one is rather not known, could be it ended up at Santa Pod. Will check with John Grant, who might remember it having been into drag racing there.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 19, 2019, 09:36:35 AM
Pretty sure it was a dealer program in Canada only

+1 Single dealers attempt at something special
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TransamEd

Quote from: roddster on April 19, 2019, 09:35:09 AM
  Comes with the 320H.P. 390.  But, a 410 H.P> 390 and a 427C.U. was optional.  Wonder how many were built?
8 Stallions max. acc to Marti Research for Mainway Ford delivered cars in that period, had emails about 4 over the years. It is possible that the Super Mach1 with the simular roof treatment was built for John Petri, race manager of Mainway. When I was in touch with him, he remembered only the Stallion aside from his race activities.
http://www.ponysite.de/pony/stallion.htm

Coralsnake

Richstang