News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 Bucket Seat Recall

Started by shelbydoug, April 18, 2019, 10:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Some time ago I got a notice from Ford that my 68 was being recalled to correct a weakness in the seat hinges. I never brought the car to anyone for that. That wasn't gonna' happen.

Does anyone know what Ford did as a correction for the seats?

I have one disassembled now and the only thing I can see is that the is a hairpin clip that retains the joint together. Is that the part that was changed?

Does anyone here have a picture of what was contained in the "Seat Recall Kit" or know what was done to the seat?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Yes the corner/pin was fixed using the kit supplied to the dealerships by Ford

The kit was reproduced at one point. Not sure if it is currently available

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

Is it only intended for the '68 or is it for other years also? It appears that there would be a left and a right? Do you have a copy of the installation instructions?

I personally have NEVER heard of the failure that the kit is intended to repair or avoid? Have you?

Thanks Jeff. Appreciated.  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bigblock

One 68 Mustang and one 68 Cougar that I used to own had that original weld break. One happened from a panic brake stop and the other getting into car. Both times ended up on the back seat floor. Had to put a concrete block behind seat until re-welded.

Coralsnake

Sometime ago?... Yes, like 1970?  ;)

Once you gain a weight, you can snap that seat back like a twig

Vcode

There was an article in Mustang Monthly years ago on the seat recall - I think it covered 68-70.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 19, 2019, 07:47:43 AM
Sometime ago?... Yes, like 1970?  ;)

Once you gain a weight, you can snap that seat back like a twig

No. Not 1970. Around 1980. You had to bring the car in and leave it.

I've had the car since 1972. I haven't broken them yet. I guess I don't make enough horsepower? So you had to do the seats on Coralsnake? Must have been all of those wheelies you were poppin'?  It's always the little skinny guys that are the problems? ;)

Doesn't the concrete block hurt your hiney Bigblock?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Are you calling me fat? I prefer big boned lol

shelbydoug

Fat? Nah. Definitely built with a purpose though. Strong like bull...pull plow.  Fat means you need your own area code. Probably the Shelby shoulder harness would need and extension on it as well.

If I find a kit quick, I'd install it. Otherwise it's just going back together as is.

Did anyone notice if any of the vendors advertises the kit?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Dont think vendors, but the originals appear frequently on eBay

mr68shelby

Looks like NPD has the bracket. Page 18 of the current catalog. 618C46-2A. Mike