News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Battery replacement options

Started by rjcassling, April 20, 2019, 06:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjcassling

the Autolite battery for my KR is now 3 years old and showing signs of losing power.

What replacements would you suggest as I want to keep the concours look.

should I just replace the old Autolite with a new one? I have not heard great reviews of the Autolite overall and I think I have been lucky to have it last this long.

Is there a best high CCA battery that will accommodate the fake Autolite cover?

KR Convertible

Bob,

I just went through this on my 65 convertible.  I went with an Exide from Home Depot.  The biggest problem was finding a battery with recessed filler caps/vents.  The battery topper fits it well.  The other bonus is it has the correct "foot" to work with the 65/66 battery hold down.  There may be other options for the 68's.  I can't remember what I have in the 68.  I'll check it when I get a chance.

Paul

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Exide-24F-Auto-Battery-24FX/204852594

Doug C

Quote from: KR Convertible on April 22, 2019, 11:16:33 AM

Bob, this is the same battery from Home Depot that I have had in my 66 for almost 2 years.  So far it works great...

Bob,

I just went through this on my 65 convertible.  I went with an Exide from Home Depot.  The biggest problem was finding a battery with recessed filler caps/vents.  The battery topper fits it well.  The other bonus is it has the correct "foot" to work with the 65/66 battery hold down.  There may be other options for the 68's.  I can't remember what I have in the 68.  I'll check it when I get a chance.

Paul

shlby66

I have had the Exide battery in my '66, for about a year now. No problems, it fits and has
   the lock down ledge.   

Bought it at Tractor Supply, while it was on sale. :)

Doug.

PR

Go to ford, I've bought a few for my shelbys and Mach 1's at least they say motorcraft, just replacing original with what ford has now, 129.$

rjcassling

Quote from: KR Convertible on April 22, 2019, 11:16:33 AM
Bob,

Paul

Thanks Paul

Bigfoot

Bob
I just hit WalMart or equivalent and get an all black battery and pull off the decals.
Only you will know. You can always splurge if you take ur car to concours.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Cobrask8

Definitely the biggest you can get for a big block. And make sure you have the "Grounding Triangle". Either you look stock and don't start, or you can start it and drive. Also, that crappy concours positive cable is for a six cylinder.

Best idea - use all the big HD stuff to drive it, and at a concours show, swap out to the wimpy correct stuff

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Cobrask8 on April 23, 2019, 08:33:01 PM
Definitely the biggest you can get for a big block. And make sure you have the "Grounding Triangle". Either you look stock and don't start, or you can start it and drive. Also, that crappy concours positive cable is for a six cylinder.

Best idea - use all the big HD stuff to drive it, and at a concours show, swap out to the wimpy correct stuff
The battery being discussed so far is the group 24 battery . The group 27 is the biggest that comes in a Shelby . I agree it is preferred for a BB. It requires a larger tray . It was typical in 69/70 BB . Although a larger tray can be bolted into a 67/68 the rework of the terminal block wiring on a 67/68 Shelby makes it somewhat impractical in those cars. Special made welding cable gauge (same gauge as rear battery) battery cables helps. A factory starter with high torque windings is better, A high torque gear reduced starter is best . The gear reduced starter will work with the factory cables. The gear reduced starter down side is that it looks different then stock and sounds odd when in use. IMO the down side is offset by the reliable starting under the worst conditions on a pleasure driven car . Since it is down low it isn't that noticeable too. ;D 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Cobrask8 on April 23, 2019, 08:33:01 PM

Well the battery cables on my Mach1 are  the thickest I have ever had on a Mustang, Dan. :)
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Sxty8KR

https://www.batterycentralmall.com/Batteries/TurboStart/Script/S27F.html

I don't recall if I purchased my NOS appearing battery through these guys for my KR, but its an option. The battery I purchased cost Near $400. I think a Google search would find other vendors as well.   :)

Steve
Steve
Seattle, Wash.
68 KR  #3777

KR Convertible

67350#1242

The Home Depot Exide Extreme is a great battery, but it looks like it is no longer available in stores near me nor available for delivery.  I have one in my 67 that has been in service for more than 7 years and just bought another last fall for another car but had to look at 3 different stores and got the last one on the shelf then.  You may get lucky and find one in stock but be sure to check the date - if it has been on the shelf with acid in it for 6-8 months I would hesitate to buy due to chance of sulfation.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Stillakid54

If one wanted to replace a group 27 for a similar size for my 69, what would be suggested? Is there a false top for this size? Thanks in advance.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI