Author Topic: Vapor Blasting Service  (Read 21131 times)

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
Vapor Blasting Service
« on: April 23, 2019, 02:03:06 PM »
Vapor blasting service for aluminum and other parts.  Make the parts look and feel new again.  Price depends on size and complexity of part, quantity discount.

www.houstonvaporblasting.com

Thanks,
Bobby
MCA 20316
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Vapor Blasting Service
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 03:57:46 AM »
Bobby, that’s some nice looking work – especially some of the examples on your web page. And the prices look fair. I don’t have anything in need at the moment, but will keep track of your company for the future.

I live just outside of Houston in Pasadena.  Do you accept walk-in customers? What’s your address?

Thanks,
Steve

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 08:30:41 AM »
Steve,

I'm in League City just west of I45 and work out of my home garage in the evenings.  You're welcome to visit any time, just let me know, and bring something with you that we can blast so that you can see the process.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 09:29:07 AM »

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 09:40:29 AM »
No, nothing that high tech!  See the machine in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLQh9ZWPRQ&t=3s
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »
No, nothing that high tech!  See the machine in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnLQh9ZWPRQ&t=3s

I LIKE low tech!  8)

Very nice result. Is it hot water and calcium carbonate powder mixed in?

EDIT; I see now, Glass beads.

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 05:07:47 PM »
Im not sure I see any real advantage to this over using low air pressure and #10 Beads.  Adding water may make it cleaner.  convince me
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 05:18:34 PM »
Im not sure I see any real advantage to this over using low air pressure and #10 Beads.  Adding water may make it cleaner.  convince me

Jim, I think the only way to convince you is for you to have the parts in your hands. Send me a couple items (junk is fine), both die cast and sand cast, maybe a carburetor body, or something like that. I will blast them and send them back. Same address you just sent the Cobra 427 valve covers to.

Thanks,
Bobby Crumpley
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:20:21 PM by countrysquire »
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 08:56:57 AM »
One more plug then I will leave y'all alone.  It also works on brass, steel, plastic, Bakelite, etc without harming the surface.

Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 11:03:06 AM »
Would the process work if you wanted to remove a top layer of enamel paint to get down to the factory color.

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 11:10:00 AM »
That's a good question.  It can be slow to remove paint using a gentle media, but of course you don't want to use anything aggressive that will damage the underlying surface.  I'm happy to experiment, and it won't cost you anything, but I don't want to do irreversible damage to an original finish.  We'd have to try a hidden area or a part without much value.  The part won't be damaged in any way, but my concern is the original paint.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 12:45:01 PM »

My coworker has started this as a side business, mainly for commercial applications (i.e. brick, concrete, fiberglass boat hulls, machinery, etc)
you can use all types of media, glass beads, crushed walnut shell.....
he showed me video of stripping powder coated bicycle frame in 10 minutes, the aluminum frame looked like new afterwards, no surface effected.
he also did a nasty aluminum control arm in minutes, much like the video of the intake,  AND clean up is much easier and less messy !!

regards,
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 11:12:38 AM »
That's a good question.  It can be slow to remove paint using a gentle media, but of course you don't want to use anything aggressive that will damage the underlying surface.  I'm happy to experiment, and it won't cost you anything, but I don't want to do irreversible damage to an original finish.  We'd have to try a hidden area or a part without much value.  The part won't be damaged in any way, but my concern is the original paint.

Most paint can be removed by soaking parts in lacquer thinner or paint stripper. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 09:16:23 AM »
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »

Most paint can be removed by soaking parts in lacquer thinner or paint stripper.

Be careful around that stuff, toxic is an understatement 🙁