Author Topic: Vapor Blasting Service  (Read 21147 times)

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
Re: Vapor Blasting Service
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 02:02:49 PM »
Im not sure I see any real advantage to this over using low air pressure and #10 Beads.  Adding water may make it cleaner.  convince me

Glass media needs a conversation starter, especially with regard to size:
https://www.mediablast.com/sandblasting-glass-bead-conversion-chart

Do not confuse glass beads with chopped up glass (like harbor freight uses). One is actually a ball -- the other chopped up glass.

So a "#10 U.S. STANDARD SCREEN SIZE" is just a bit finer than the BALLOTINI AD I use. And I also use about 25 psi on finer items.

I like Vapor Blasting. Cool tech. But if you have a media blaster you can do some really nice work with the beads. Heck, I bought some Ballatoni beads on Amazon, but have found a local source for half price. Plus the receptionist ...

Here are a few examples with a before/after of a SJ washer bag bracket (sold) and a distributor I quickly blasted. I didn't blast the whole thing, just quickly did the front, mostly near the top.

Like I said, I like vapor blasting. And I'm glad a service is being offered for those people who want to send out a bunch of parts and be done.
But don't discount glass media.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 06:49:27 PM »
428CJ diecast valve cover straight out of the cabinet.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 07:22:54 PM »
That's the finish I've been looking for on so many parts. Very nice.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 07:45:07 PM »
This one is finished with the exception of sanding the fins front to back.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 08:39:26 PM »
That's the finish I've been looking for on so many parts. Very nice.

+1 looks great

Cyclone

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 10:46:04 PM »
Vapor blasting service for aluminum and other parts.  Make the parts look and feel new again.  Price depends on size and complexity of part, quantity discount.

How do you recommend the surface be protected after it is vapor blasted? I have heard that using
ACF-50  on the surface will help keep it from being stained by fuel, oil etc.
What is your opinion?
https://learchem.com/products/acf-50.html

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 11:14:36 PM »
https://learchem.com/products/acf-50.html

Have you used this?  And is is safe around rubber products like grommets and boots?   

Have had issues with a number of TFFC's that ended up destroying rubber parts in a fair short period of time.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Cyclone

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 04:56:31 AM »
I have not tried it yet. My thought was  to apply it to freshly vapor blasts aluminum to preserve the finish. A test on various rubber parts may be in order.

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 08:17:22 AM »
I have not tried it yet. My thought was  to apply it to freshly vapor blasts aluminum to preserve the finish. A test on various rubber parts may be in order.

I haven't tried this or sharkhide either based on what I read on Jeff's concoursmustang.com site concerning attack on rubber parts.  It probably works great on things like bellhousings, etc.  Their website lists a local dealer, so I will probably pick up a can and try it on some test pieces.

EDIT - Amazon carries it, so I will have a can tomorrow and can do some testing.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 08:23:22 AM by countrysquire »
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2019, 08:39:33 AM »
Here's a look at what the process does with steel.  This clutch fork is from a customer's 1979 Z-28 that he bought new and is now restoring.  It's a bit shiny in the picture because I had just wiped it with an anti-corrosion coating.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2019, 08:58:57 AM »
Have you done any Shelby aluminum 10 spoke wheels or magnesium parts of any kind? I'd like to see pictures of those if you have them?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2019, 09:01:12 AM »
No, I haven't.  I would like to get my hands on something old and magnesium to test.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2019, 09:13:14 AM »
There are polished highlights on the 10 spoke wheels. What would the process do to the polished aluminum.

The natural cast portion of the 10 spokes is an SOB to get new looking without adversly affecting the polish on the highlights.

In looking at the natural luster left on the aluminum valve covers, that is something the original 10 spokes had on the "as cast" portion of the wheel. That's where the brake dust and other road contaminants get into the pores of the casting and stain it.

When you get that clean, then the highlights need to get polished and the polish gets into the pores again and stains it.

If your process could leave the polished highlights close to being intact AND clean the castings, it would be the way to go on these wheels.

Also the Trans Am magnesium wheels would be interesting to see the results of. Those wheels were used largely as cast.

The lightweight 427 magnesium intake would be of interest to do as well.

I wish you were closer. I could keep you busy for a while. Shipping these things back and forth is both risky and hassling.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2019, 09:34:33 AM »
I know what you're talking about with the 10 spokes.  My experience with parts that have a polished surface is that it the texture, or lack of, is maintained.  Looking through my photos, I don't see anything that really captures the contrast between the smooth polished surface and the cast one.  The parts in the picture are from a 1972 Yamaha DT2 Enduro.  The head has a smooth, almost polished finish, and the cylinder has the typical cast finish between the fins.  One thing is certain, I need to learn to take better pictures!
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »
I suspect that the finish would be more then acceptatle. It might even be the process that the wheel manufacturers used originally?

Let me think on this? Maybe I'll suddenly feel motivated enough to send you a test wheel? Maybe? Not at the moment. What time is it? Maybe later?

Maybe someone close to you could "walk one to you"? Hum? Who could that be?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!