News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Spare tire stud, nut and retainer. Pictures for 10 spoke?

Started by 1967 eight barrel, April 23, 2019, 05:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1967 eight barrel

Does anyone have a length measurement and pictures of the correct stud, nut and retainer for the 1967 with 10 spokes?
Once again, a "concours" product is wrong and too short to set the plate and start the nut.

-Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on April 23, 2019, 05:33:16 PM
Does anyone have a length measurement and pictures of the correct stud, nut and retainer for the 1967 with 10 spokes?
Once again, a "concours" product is wrong and too short to set the plate and start the nut.

-Keith
I sent a pattern to Scott Fuller so maybe he has made them. A close substitute is a 69/70 Shelby space saver hold down J Hook . It is not the same but very close. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

Bob, are they 3/8 NC thread as well? Is the stamped steel retainer black with three punched D holes. or gray?

-Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on April 24, 2019, 03:03:03 AM
Bob, are they 3/8 NC thread as well? Is the stamped steel retainer black with three punched D holes. or gray?

-Keith
Yes the same thread. The difference is in the length and also the hook end a different shape. Ether aspect is hard to distinguish once mounted. The disc is the smaller typical 65-67 deluxe wheel version painted black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

Bob, the wheel hold down supplied from all is about 3" in diameter. Is it different?

-Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on April 24, 2019, 09:55:08 PM
Bob, the wheel hold down supplied from all is about 3" in diameter. Is it different?

-Keith
Kieth ,there are different sizes depending on year and application . The 65-67 deluxe wheel disc besides other characteristics is 3" in diameter.

1967 eight barrel

Thanks, Bob. There is nothing I have seen that really shows a good detailed picture. I have to re-order being the Scott Drake "Concours" hold down kit at minimum has the wrong length stud. I also have a different bracket for the stud than the replacement brackets do. I am going post a picture for your guess as to why.
                                                                                         -Keith

greekz

-Keith

Would not the stud length would depend if the spare wheel was secured hub-side up or down.  What would be the correct installation?  I have seen them mounted both ways.  I believe the standard steel wheel stud is too short to secure the spare 10 -Spoke hub-side down.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

Quote from: greekz on April 25, 2019, 12:56:56 PM

-Keith

Would not the stud length would depend if the spare wheel was secured hub-side up or down.  What would be the correct installation?  I have seen them mounted both ways.  I believe the standard steel wheel stud is too short to secure the spare 10 -Spoke hub-side down.

Greek
All historic evidence that I have seen indicates that the deluxe wheel is right side up in the trunk. The standard steel in wheel in 67 is right side up in the trunk also according to the jacking instructions. Since the center point is offset further outboard on the deluxe wheel and center opening diameter is a different size the hold down bolt and securing disc are different between the two different deluxe and standard wheel.

greekz

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 25, 2019, 01:44:06 PM
Quote from: greekz on April 25, 2019, 12:56:56 PM

-Keith

Greek
All historic evidence that I have seen indicates that the deluxe wheel is right side up in the trunk. The standard steel in wheel in 67 is right side up in the trunk also according to the jacking instructions. Since the center point is offset further outboard on the deluxe wheel and center opening diameter is a different size the hold down bolt and securing disc are different between the two different deluxe and standard wheel.

Thanks for the clarification.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339