Author Topic: Original Axle Limiting Cables  (Read 14846 times)

texas swede

• View Profile
Original Axle Limiting Cables
« on: February 10, 2018, 06:20:55 PM »
Any of you guys know which material the original crimps were made of, aluminum, copper or
bronze? I believe the reproductions are made of aluminum.
Texas Swede

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Original Axle Limiting Cables
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 06:27:58 PM »
Any of you guys know which material the original crimps were made of, aluminum, copper or
bronze? I believe the reproductions are made of aluminum.
Texas Swede
They were aluminum.They are not technically reproductions. It is used on garage door cable today in the same way it was used on garage door cable over 50 years ago.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 06:42:46 PM »
Can get them at Home Depot, Lowe’s etc

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 06:54:39 PM »
Thanks guys,
A friend of mine asked as he is fixing up his car and the ones he removed were in copper
but the ones he bought are aluminum.
Texas Swede

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 06:57:48 PM »
Anyone know the approx. length? And dia. of cable?
Brent

march66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 08:00:27 PM »
This topic is interesting. I've have wondered about this question for some time.  My original cables from 6S299 while dirty and appearing to be aluminum, were actually copper cable crimps. Still have the evidence of my findings.  Bought replacements cable and copper crimps...still haven't installed them. 

Gary C. Bergman

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 08:22:51 PM »
Hi Gary, have you got any pics of the copper cable crimps? Mine are aluminium
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

march66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 09:47:02 PM »
Yes, I will try to take and send a photo of my evidence.

Gary C. Bergman

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 10:37:18 PM »
This topic is interesting. I've have wondered about this question for some time.  My original cables from 6S299 while dirty and appearing to be aluminum, were actually copper cable crimps. Still have the evidence of my findings.  Bought replacements cable and copper crimps...still haven't installed them. 

Gary C. Bergman
I will be interested in seeing the evidence that will be compelling enough to suggest copper was also used and not a previous replacement . Even if evidence suggest that copper was a type used at SA it would be more the exception then the rule. The overwhelming majority were of the aluminum variety base on many different knowledgeable individuals observations .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 01:20:42 AM »
Never seen them made from copper either on an original car. Got a picture?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

march66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 01:04:44 PM »
Greetings....Here are photos of what I saved from the original axle limiting cable of 6S299. 

In one image you see the dirty crimper and what appears aluminum.  In the other photos it shows that it is actually copper.

This discovery (few years ago) was to my surprise as I always assumed they were aluminum.  I bought new cables from Shelby Parts & Restoration, probably in 1999 and never installed them, and they included aluminum crimpers.

My apologies if the photos do not attach.  I'm not confident with my use of tech things. 

Gary C. Bergman

march66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 01:06:47 PM »
Greetings....Here are photos of what I saved from the original axle limiting cable of 6S299. 

In one image you see the dirty crimper and what appears aluminum.  In the other photos it shows that it is actually copper.

This discovery (few years ago) was to my surprise as I always assumed they were aluminum.  I bought new cables from Shelby Parts & Restoration, probably in 1999 and never installed them, and they included aluminum crimpers.

My apologies if the photos do not attach.  I'm not confident with my use of tech things. 

Gary C. Bergman

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 01:21:33 PM »
Unusual part. I typically see a double crimp done to secure the aluminum ones also. It takes a special tool. Without knowing the surrounding conditions(visual evidence and not word of mouth) it was taken from and what with just the picture of the part in question it is hard to say. Unfortunately it has been taken out of context of it's surrounding that may have provided support to ether conclusion.  It is hard to give the benefit of the doubt given it is out of the ordinary compared to so many different individual observations. I am still skeptical that the pictured piece is original to your car but who really knows now. Thanks for the interesting pictures.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 04:59:28 PM »
Thanks for providing a VIN 6S299 since that will allow us and you to focus on other cars built around the same time as your at SA. I think we can all agree that they would not have built one car with different crimps and it they used ones like you have there would be dozens or more likely 100+ cars just like yours
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

march66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 06:04:33 PM »
Thanks all, just offering a contribution to what I found on 6S299 back in 1999.  Enjoy following along with details about the early cars and the knowledge Bob Gaines and Jeff Speegle provide. 

I would expand more but forum or my computer slowness makes it difficult.

Gary C. Bergman