Author Topic: Exhaust Sound  (Read 5804 times)

Fastback66

• View Profile
Exhaust Sound
« on: February 10, 2018, 09:31:07 PM »
Does anyone have a clip of their exhaust sound they could share. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 70 GT350, it has what I think is an old incorrect reproduction exhaust system but it sounds very quiet, not like a muscle car at all, more like a 4 cylinder Fox Body.  I don't think it's correct but I've never hear a 69-70 with stock exhaust. Thoughts or advice on a good repo exhaust system that looks correct? The car is a driver and I plan to keep it that way for a few more years. Should I spend the money on the correct exhaust or go with repo?

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
Re: Exhaust Sound
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:02:51 PM »
Fuller exhaust all the way. Fits perfectly the first time and look 100% original.

You will not regret the investment

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 10:21:48 PM »
Sound good?

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 10:49:35 PM »
Yes...Scott Fuller is the way to go... :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 10:50:20 PM »
Does anyone have a clip of their exhaust sound they could share. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 70 GT350, it has what I think is an old incorrect reproduction exhaust system but it sounds very quiet, not like a muscle car at all, more like a 4 cylinder Fox Body.  I don't think it's correct but I've never hear a 69-70 with stock exhaust. Thoughts or advice on a good repo exhaust system that looks correct? The car is a driver and I plan to keep it that way for a few more years. Should I spend the money on the correct exhaust or go with repo?
That sentence is a good example of what a oxymoron is defined as.   Sorry the short answer is no ,not with out various degrees of compromise. Too quite is a matter of perception also.   If too quite take out the transverse muffler. If still too quite increase size of pipe to 2 1/2 . If still too quite change out to different maybe shorter resonators. If you had to go to all these different steps then the money you spent to get there you could have bought the more expensive Fuller exhaust which is a relative spot on match and be assured of getting original sound .That is if original sound is your objective.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 11:03:33 PM »

we comprehend what you mean as we have two 69 gt500s the stock exhaust we also found to be on the mild or quite side.

we opted to remove the transverse mufflers and resonators  installing a true dual exhaust that feeds into the rear center collector

although not factory correct, we love how our cars sound

the next care taker can easily return it to its stock form

do what makes you happy

just our two cents
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:07:49 PM by FL SAAC TONY »
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 09:10:20 AM »
That sentence is a good example of what a oxymoron is defined as.   Sorry the short answer is no ,not with out various degrees of compromise. Too quite is a matter of perception also.   If too quite take out the transverse muffler. If still too quite increase size of pipe to 2 1/2 . If still too quite change out to different maybe shorter resonators. If you had to go to all these different steps then the money you spent to get there you could have bought the more expensive Fuller exhaust which is a relative spot on match and be assured of getting original sound .That is if original sound is your objective.

I'm not sure if original sound is my objective or not, as I stated above I've never hear a stock exhaust. I don't see 69-70 Shelby's very often and I go to a lot of shows. I see 65's more than I do those cars for some reason.
 I'm still a bit undecided because the car is only a driver quality car and maybe not quite worthy of a $3000 exhaust system just yet.  I've got some mulling over to continue. Thank you.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »
on our 69s we had a local friend who owns a Midas muffler shop do the exhaust from the head pipes back.

eliminated the resonators put two turbo mufflers like a boss 302 exhaust and out the center.

pipes, mufflers and labor was about $500 on one and about $600 on the other

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 09:23:27 AM »
Fuller exhaust all the way. Fits perfectly the first time and look 100% original.

You will not regret the investment

Chris

Another vote for Scott's excellent reproduction exhaust system.

Do it once, do it right, you will not have to do it again.

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
on our 69s we had a local friend who owns a Midas muffler shop do the exhaust from the head pipes back.

eliminated the resonators put two turbo mufflers like a boss 302 exhaust and out the center.

pipes, mufflers and labor was about $500 on one and about $600 on the other

mufflers used where the flowmaster brand

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 11:38:12 AM »
If you want a perfect OEM style exhaust then you have the input here for that.
If you want your car to sound more bad azz then go with Tony’s suggestion which is what I would do.
We just put hooker headers and fat exhaust on my sons 70 Fastback which has a 351-4v.
Sounds great.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 06:07:53 PM »
I installed a NOS transverse muffler and accurate repro H pipe, resonators 2 years ago on my 69 GT350.  It was very quiet with the stock engine and stock cam.  Last year, I had the engine rebuilt with a moderate performance cam.  The same exact exhaust system is now pretty loud and the car sounds like it has aftermarket exhaust.   

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 06:40:12 PM »
Check Precision Exhaust. Specialize in Mustangs, but especially big blocks. Did a system for me but in 2.5 inch that fit perfectly from exhaust manifolds back. Price outstanding. But I also support Scott ‘s exhaust for concourse. It’s a work of art. Rick.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »
Check Precision Exhaust. Specialize in Mustangs, but especially big blocks. Did a system for me but in 2.5 inch that fit perfectly from exhaust manifolds back. Price outstanding. But I also support Scott ‘s exhaust for concourse. It’s a work of art. Rick.

Good to know, I'll look them up. Thanks.

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 06:58:49 PM »
I installed a NOS transverse muffler and accurate repro H pipe, resonators 2 years ago on my 69 GT350.  It was very quiet with the stock engine and stock cam.  Last year, I had the engine rebuilt with a moderate performance cam.  The same exact exhaust system is now pretty loud and the car sounds like it has aftermarket exhaust.   

That's good to know. What cam did you use? I'm rebuilding my engine now and I am considering Comp Cams 268H or something similar.