Author Topic: Continuation MKIII 427 built at Brooklands with a COB chassis number in UK  (Read 2594 times)

I am a new UK based enthusiast looking for a Cobra and am in discussion with a reputable dealer about a "Continuation MKIII 427 manufactured at Brooklands", I think in the late 80's.  It has a COB chassis number from a small batch of unused numbers dating back to the Thames Ditton days and is fitted with a period correct side oiler engine. I don't yet have the chassis number.  I appreciate it's not an "original 60's" car but it feels somewhere in between that and a MKIV Lightweight.  However, I'm struggling to find any definitive history on these variants.  I'd really appreciate any shared knowledge or pointers as to where I might find some.  Partly out of a desire to double check the history of the car, but mainly because I am in the process of immersing myself in "all things Cobra" and this is a frustrating blind spot for me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards.

Clive Austin
clivej.austin@gmail.com

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
Hello Clive,

Welcome to the SAAC forum. You being in the U.K., you're 6 hours ahead from folks here on the east coast while the west is still another 3 hours behind.
As for your inquiry on the COB cobras, I would suggest you direct your questions to Ned Scudder or possibly purchase the current registry. The last registry that had "all things Cobra or Shelby" was the 97 edition. Since then the registries have been broken out by model or grouped by years.
I believe in the 97 edition there is some information on the COB.
Without a serial number can be quite challenging.

Cheers,
~Earl J
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:29:37 AM by SFM5S000 »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
The man to ask is Ned Scudder but you need to know the entire chassis number. It COULD be one of the Paramount film studio chassis, converted to a Cobra?

I seem to remember at least one that was and that what it was being highly contested. Caution should prevail.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427Larry

• View Profile
It also could be one of the ones that Dave Wagner got out of AC in the 80's, and I believe they had COB Numbers. Like everyone said, contact Ned Scudder, and possibly Dave Wagner, also the 97' Registery would be of help, but as other people have said, you would need the Chassis Number. Good luck!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
I believe Dave Riley still has his AC built MK III continuation car.I believe it was built in the late 80's. Private Message (PM) me if you would like contact info.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

A-Snake

• View Profile
There were some cars built by Angliss in the 1992 and 1996 period that used the numbers COB4000, COB4001, COB4004. After AC Cars was purchased from receivership in 1996, management built some cars called "427 MKIII's" COB5001, COB5002, COB5003, COB5004, COB5005, COB506, COB5007, COB5008, COB5009, COB5010, COB5011, COB5012
These are not Cobras but no doubt they will cause confusion in the future.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:54:26 PM by A-Snake »

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
Clive, what you need to know is that it is essentially open season on declaring anything that resembles a Cobra a "continuation" of some type, but built by someone authorized to do so by Carroll Shelby or AC Cars. It is necessary to sort the wheat from the chaff in order to assess a legitimate value for the car in question. Some are quite well done, others...well, let's hope we don't have to go there. You can find a lot of information on line, but as has already been noted, your best starting point is a chassis number. That will (hopefully) tell us what we need to get started. Good luck with the project.