News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What’s your thoughts on Bronze cars?

Started by BGlover67, April 29, 2019, 01:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

For 1967, Bronze was the rarest color combination if you don't include the one off's Yellow and Maroon.  There were 21 GT350's and 1 GT500.  Almost all of the small blocks were ordered very early in the run, and then replaced by Lime Gold or another color.  Interestingly, people have purposes that either Shelby American had trouble matching the color on their fiberglass pieces, or that customers didn't like how quickly the paint faded.  The later doesn't make sense to me because the cars couldn't have been out in the wild long enough to notice an appreciably amount of fading before the color was discontinued. 

Could Shelby have walked in one morning in November of 1966 and said how just how God awful the new 67's looked in bronze and made the decision to stop using the color?  That would make for a cool story but doubtful on that.  Thoughts?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Richstang

I know there are some people who just dislike the Bronze color. I'm not one of them. I think it looks fantastic in fresh paint and just pops with color!

At first I thought maybe Ford cancelled the color early in the '67 production run, but I found a Marti Report for a June '67 build Mustang, so that's not it.
(I believe that was actually Sunlit Gold in 1968 I was thinking of.)

Then I recalled an article written that noted Shelby only intended to build a limited number of paint colors at one time. So if one color dropped out a new color could replace it. I'm not certain if this is a fact or a myth. It seems like building only a couple dozen of the Bronze is too short a run for that theory. I feel safer assuming there were paint issues at SA more than anything else. Possibly matching the paint on the fiberglass parts, more so than the paint fading over a couple of months. Just my thoughts, no facts to back it up.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

JD

'67 Bronze and '68 Sunlite Gold are not the same color (in case anyone wasn't sure)

'67 Shelby color Bronze Metallic  (Ford color Burnt Amber) #M2066
'68 Sunlite Gold Ford #M3073
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Harris Speedster

I always thought that the Bronze 67 and the Silver 67's were good looking colors on the shelby.
I did lean towards the silver one though.

Actually was lucky enough to own one of each at one time.
But passed keeping them, as a Black early one popped up.

>>>>
Not to change the subject, has the original paint 66 yellow car ever surfaced again that i looked at in Ca about 26 years ago?
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

I love looking at them, they are beautiful. But if I had only one car, it would not be my choice.

Richstang

Quote from: Harris Speedster on April 29, 2019, 05:34:49 PM
I always thought that the Bronze 67 and the Silver 67's were good looking colors on the shelby.

>>>>
Not to change the subject, has the original paint 66 yellow car ever surfaced again that i looked at in Ca about 26 years ago?
John

Hi John,

I know you mean the Medium Grey Metallic - Shelby code 6 - Ford DSO code 4 - M32J 1900 paint color and not Silver.
Just so others know Shelby American did not produce any Silver painted '67 Shelby's.

Are you asking about the '67 GT350 in Springtime Yellow? That paint color was available on '67 Mustangs too.
If I recall correctly, that car was put away pending a future restoration. It's a special 1 of 1 paint car (NICE!)
The 2011 registry mentions it was previously paint black possibly in the eighties, so it's not an original paint car.

Edit; corrected codes in bold. My dyslexia swapped the Shelby and Ford codes previously in error.

Richstang

JD

Quote from: Richstang on April 29, 2019, 08:12:28 PM

>>>>
John

Hi John,

I know you mean the Medium Grey Metallic - Shelby code 4 - Ford DSO code 6 - M32J 1900 paint color and not Silver.
Just so others know Shelby American did not produce any Silver painted '67 Shelby's.

Are you asking about the '67 GT350 in Springtime Yellow? That paint color was available on '67 Mustangs too.
If I recall correctly, that car was put away pending a future restoration. It's a special 1 of 1 paint car (NICE!)
The 2011 registry mentions it was previously paint black possibly in the eighties, so it's not an original paint car.

I think it's the other way around;
Shelby VIN code "6" and DSO code "4"
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Not my cup o tea...prefer lime gold ...

Richstang

Quote from: JD on April 29, 2019, 08:23:11 PM
Quote from: Richstang on April 29, 2019, 08:12:28 PM

>>>>
John

Hi John,

I know you mean the Medium Grey Metallic - Shelby code 4 - Ford DSO code 6 - M32J 1900 paint color and not Silver.

I think it's the other way around;
Shelby VIN code "6" and DSO code "4"

Thanks for keeping me in line on the paint codes JD ... corrections made

Bigfoot

Nice color. Looks like Bronze.
Not my first choice tho.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

1967 eight barrel

I could have lived with the bronze or amber. My vehicle was nasty, disgusting lime gold from Shelby. I don't care how many points are deducted, it's never going to see that ugly color as long as I own it! lol

dmg67