Author Topic: KONI shock rebuilt with original style gland nut  (Read 1776 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
KONI shock rebuilt with original style gland nut
« on: April 30, 2019, 01:27:55 PM »
Hi all,

Please tell me your experiences with the KONI shocks and their stiffness.  I just received some rebuilt shocks with the original gland nut and they are super stiff.  They barely extract with my full body weight, around 190 lbs.  I built a fixture with rope so I can suspend my entire weight on the shock.  The shock does extend, but very slow. They do compress easier, but still stiff.  When I install these, should I be concerned about them pulling off or clasping the upper shock mount?  The upper shock mounts do have the washers to help spread the load out.  Will the shock loosen up some with use?

Thanks

Cory

kram350

• View Profile
Re: KONI shock rebuilt with original style gland nut
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 08:38:02 PM »
When I rebuild I put a pretty good bit of tightness to the gland nut and if they weep in retighten them until they seal. If you over tighten the gland packing, which I have done, you can burnish the packing and then they will leak with no ability to retighten and stop a weep.  Shock shocks are pretty stiff though. I would question the rebuilder .   

rraceme

• View Profile
Re: KONI shock rebuilt with original style gland nut
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 07:12:03 PM »
Could someone make a couple of suggestions of business (or individuals) which can rebuild the Koni's? Thank you, Fred
SFM 6S2227