News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

instrument cluster restoration

Started by tonys_shelby, May 01, 2019, 06:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOBKOB

Quotetold me to throw it in the trash and dont ever call him again.  I told him my customer to do a CC chargeback and he did. I sent it to Phil and he said it was a mess inside.   A couple months later Tachman  calls me  leaving a message and asks me if I need any work done. Makes you wonder!

Sounds like a typical bi-polar issue.  :(

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

1967 eight barrel

Beer-polar is more like it.
                                  -Keith

Darrpo

Had mine worked on by Orlando Mustang!  They can repair the gauges and reface the surface.  They also have come up with a way to install tacks in 69/70 mustangs that were not tac cars originally

JD

Since the title of this thread is "Instrument Cluster Restoration" it may help some to also see the difference of the bezel and brushed aluminum insert.

The two options for the '67 Mustangs were Standard Camera Black and the Deluxe on the GT with the aluminum inserts.

The aluminum inserts were attached to a steel base and both installed to the GT Deluxe unique bezel with molded-in slots for the tabs on the aluminum insert assembly to fit into and the tabs were bent over to hold the unit in place.  Not the Camera black bezel. 

The correct bezel has raised edges around the openings and at the perimeter for the aluminum insert assembly to sit in and the ridges are visible.  Many repro aluminum inserts are adhesive backed and just stuck on Camera Black bezels which may repro's have very Red BRAKES lens with the BRAKES in black when the originals are the opposite.

Here are some images to reference:

(there are other aspects to the originals which will probably be discussed and illustrated too.)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

roddster

And while we're at it:  Chrome Tech has stopped doing business (rechroming the bezel) and Mr Azcue, last time I checked was not longer answering his E-mails.  So I assume he too is no longer rechroming bezels.
  Please list who to send them out to.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on May 10, 2019, 08:56:16 AM
Since the title of this thread is "Instrument Cluster Restoration" it may help some to also see the difference of the bezel and brushed aluminum insert.

The two options for the '67 Mustangs were Standard Camera Black and the Deluxe on the GT with the aluminum inserts.

The aluminum inserts were attached to a steel base and both installed to the GT Deluxe unique bezel with molded-in slots for the tabs on the aluminum insert assembly to fit into and the tabs were bent over to hold the unit in place.  Not the Camera black bezel. 

The correct bezel has raised edges around the openings and at the perimeter for the aluminum insert assembly to sit in and the ridges are visible.  Many repro aluminum inserts are adhesive backed and just stuck on Camera Black bezels which may repro's have very Red BRAKES lens with the BRAKES in black when the originals are the opposite.

Here are some images to reference:

(there are other aspects to the originals which will probably be discussed and illustrated too.)
Great pictures,great effort JD.  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

JD,
Thanks for sharing those photos and pointing out all the original and repro details!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

pmustang

I rang tachman a while back and a very brassy sounding woman answered, he was feeding her answers as she repeated my questions to him.  I felt it was very strange and didn't like how it was going.  i didn't send him my parts and sent them to Phil instead who did a lovely job

I am glad I wasn't alone in what I thought

1967 eight barrel

Your best bet is to do what I did. I sent my factory parts and bezel to Vacuum Ornamental in Michigan. They did a superb job of plating and unlike the old process that Ford used, the bezel can be cleaned and the finish doesn't rub off. The also did the blackout on the bezel. I bought the inserts for the dash and doors from Burton antique Auto parts in Dayton. They are the only ones who use the anodized aluminum on a steel back with tabs like Ford OE. The finish is consistent and looks OE. Be prepared to spend about 1500.00 when It's all said and done.

Vacuum Ornamental
(734)941-9100
Burton Antique Auto
(937) 275-6753

throughout.
h

JD

thanks guys, these dang cars get under your skin and never go away ;-)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on May 10, 2019, 10:10:40 PM
Your best bet is to do what I did. I sent my factory parts and bezel to Vacuum Ornamental in Michigan. They did a superb job of plating and unlike the old process that Ford used, the bezel can be cleaned and the finish doesn't rub off. The also did the blackout on the bezel. I bought the inserts for the dash and doors from Burton antique Auto parts in Dayton. They are the only ones who use the anodized aluminum on a steel back with tabs like Ford OE. The finish is consistent and looks OE. Be prepared to spend about 1500.00 when It's all said and done.

Vacuum Ornamental
(734)941-9100
Burton Antique Auto
(937) 275-6753

Did you send in just the bezel to vacuum ornamental?

Curious if You also had them do the vent control face or the 1/4 sail panel vents?

Bob Gaines

Curious if You also had them do the vent control face or the 1/4 sail panel vents?
[/quote]The 1/4 sail panel vents are pot metal not plastic so most likely wouldn't go to the  plastic chroming people.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

Quote from: 2112 on May 11, 2019, 12:52:05 AM
Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on May 10, 2019, 10:10:40 PM

Vacuum Ornamental
(734)941-9100
Burton Antique Auto
(937) 275-6753

The left lower vent/heater control is pot metal with the aluminum glued down with contact cement. I removed the original aluminum and had the trim chrome plated. I then re-cemented the new trim from Burton back in with contact cement. 
I had all four pieces of plastic trim done by Vacuum Ornamental. Dash bezel, center trim, over the glovebox and right lower.
Most upper trim is pitted and it's also pot metal. They would require painting if you found a set worth plating. I wound up just using reproductions in my original trim.
I assume you saw my interior pictures? I can re-post if not.
                                                                                            -Keith

roddster

Small issue:  Burton's nor anyone else has the proper cutout for the door panel aluminum for the early cars.  Boo-hoo.

JD

Burton use to have both versions, I got the early when I re-did the car I had.

( Edit - better images...)