Author Topic: Original header gasket  (Read 3582 times)

paul

• View Profile
Original header gasket
« on: May 01, 2019, 04:13:24 PM »
Aren’t these what were originally on the 65 when new(white & flat along the top)?

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
Re: Original header gasket
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 07:21:55 PM »
I don't know about production parts but the 1960s service sets I bought were light gray. They went to the restoration a friend did of his street car.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »
   Paul ,
       Assembly line header gaskets were white asbestos. You "must" keep in mind that Cyclone did not make their own gaskets and bought them from more than one supplier. Same for Doug's and Bellanger. many used a local company called "Best gasket" and your picture looks like one of those. Best probably made their pattern off of a flange supplied by Cyclone . Best used to imprint the company name into the asbestos and they are very rare these days just like white asbestos material is. Other companies used the Raybestos Manhatten ( R-M logo and blue ink) material but "I" never saw it used on SAI production cars. By my memory "flat top" gaskets came with the Cyclone stuff and the "bumpy top" gaskets came from Doug's and Bellangers because they were made off of a bumpy top flange they used.
   It would be hard to validate NOS on a loose ( non packaged) gasket ,  well IMHO anyway.
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 12:10:00 PM »
Thank you Dan and Randy. Any current manufacturer make a gasket that is flat across the top?

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 05:11:58 PM »
straight top white ones are tough to find
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 06:01:28 PM »
Did some or all of the Shelby Gts come with tube headers? Let me see if I remember what I have learned so far . . . is that a big block fuel pump? I'm still learning Ford parts.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 06:09:58 PM »
Did some or all of the Shelby Gts come with tube headers? Let me see if I remember what I have learned so far . . . is that a big block fuel pump? I'm still learning Ford parts.
65/66 came with tube headers. Small block 65 type aftermarket pump in picture. Stay after school and study some more. LOL
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 10:56:16 AM »
Thank you Dan and Randy. Any current manufacturer make a gasket that is flat across the top?

Paul the white asbestos is the big problem as it's not legal to use .  I'll check with a local gasket supplier in a couple of weeks about  "flat top" gasket availability. He is always at our monthly Long Beach swap meet.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 03:55:45 PM »
Thanks guys.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 05:53:32 PM »
65/66 came with tube headers. Small block 65 type aftermarket pump in picture. Stay after school and study some more. LOL

yes sir. (skulking, head down) :-\
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!