News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

SUPER SNAKE in DRAG STRIP magazine - August 1967

Started by SFM66H, May 01, 2019, 05:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM66H

Anthony Dilabio (aka Road Reptile) of '67 Shelby fame recently sent me a rare copy of this August 1967 magazine that has a feature on the SUPER SNAKE. He was wondering if the car still had those "unique headers with Grand Prix type collectors" when I saw it at MCACN in November 2018. Well, the hood was never open when I saw it in Chicago, and because this article is the first I ever learned of those unique headers, I had no idea to look underneath for them at the time. If you recall, I had posted on here prior about being all alone with the car in a warehouse after the show (with its keys still in the ignition) and I could have used my phone flashlight to check for them at the time - if I had known about them.

So that opportunity was missed, but maybe someone here knows if the car still has these cool, hand-built headers? The recent new owner surely would know!

In any case, enjoy these photos and article that many of us would not have otherwise been able to see. I had to downscale the images 50% to post them here, so the resolution is not very good, but I have them at full scale on my computer and can email them to whoever asks for them.

Enjoy - and Thanks Anthony!

Kieth 

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

shelbydoug

That's a great article. Gotta love those funky headers. ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

Kieth,
This is fantastic thank you for scanning and sharing this with us. PM to follow.
8)

Road Reptile,
Thanks so much for mailing this issue to Kieth so he can work his magic scanning and cleaning up the pages for everyone to review.
;D

You Guys Rock!!!!
Where's that emoji?
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

Substitute headers were installed last time I looked. Those original headers had to be cut away the first time the engine was removed .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Don Johnston

Richstang

Kieth (SFM66H) was very kind to scan one of the photos at an even higher resolution. We now have another mystery solved. THANKS KIETH!

The Shelby American Company Car windshield sticker shows the number '066' on the Super Snake (that # was previously unknown).

The 'Drag Strip' article mentions the Texas tire tests already occurred. The Texas photos don't shown any company car windshield stickers.
My notes have the Super Snake tire test in Texas dated as 3/23/67 ('Competition Press & Autoweek' issue was published on 4/15/67).
Dave Mathews had mentioned some paperwork noting the car(s) shipped out of LAX on 3/20 and returned on 3/28.
(The other car tested, on a different day, was #0463. It was a GT500 equipped with A/C and the new louvered hood. It was tested for cooling performance under normal driving speeds and conditions.)

We now know the company car windshield stickers were added after the car(s) return date in late March.
With a 2-3 month lead time for magazines, those article photos would need to be taken in the May-June time span.
This narrows the time frame when the company car windshield stickers could be added to sometime between April, May, or maybe as late as June.

Thanks again for sharing Kieth and Anthony! 
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

SFM6S087

KOP (King Of Pictures - aka Keith),

Great job! You know I want the largest version of those scans that you have.

Steve

Leon

The first owner ( James Haden) cut away this unique headers with Grand Prix type collectors"de

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

That is about the only place you will see pictures of the original headers on the car.

It refers to an 8 qt oil pan. That I would like to see. The post here cuts that view off.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!