Author Topic: Do we know who restored this beauty?  (Read 13555 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Do we know who restored this beauty?
« on: February 11, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
To my eyes, it is about as nice as it gets;

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/shelby/gt500/2070630.html

Of course I am partial to Nightmist Blue 500's

4-speed & A/C?  wow
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:00:11 PM by 2112 »

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Do we know who restored this beauty?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:01:58 PM »
Whoops, I had to delete the Marti report when I realized the Ford VIN was still showing.

Here it is in redacted format;

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 05:31:57 PM »
#2471 was at Indy SAAC 42.
Surely someone here will know who restored it and what the result was in the concours class.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 12:21:52 AM »
I helped judge this car (I carried the clipboard  ;D) at SAAC 42. This car is superb - Div II Concours Gold. It belongs(ed) to Darren Longhoffer. This was the only 67 to receive Gold at SAAC 42.

I don’t know all who worked on it, but I believe Jim Cowles did quite a bit of the work.

Truly, a great car.
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:13:13 AM »
I helped judge this car (I carried the clipboard  ;D) at SAAC 42. This car is superb - Div II Concours Gold. It belongs(ed) to Darren Longhoffer. This was the only 67 to receive Gold at SAAC 42.

I don’t know all who worked on it, but I believe Jim Cowles did quite a bit of the work.

Truly, a great car.
I believe Jim Cowles did the body and paint work. R+A Motorsports Jeff Yergovich did all of the finishing touches. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 01:34:44 AM »
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a newbie question. This is the second time I've seen a forum reference to accidentally showing a Ford VIN number. Can someone explain what the faux pas is here? Is this a legal issue, or simply one of etiquette or something else? Just curious. Thx!
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 01:52:42 AM »
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a newbie question. This is the second time I've seen a forum reference to accidentally showing a Ford VIN number. Can someone explain what the faux pas is here? Is this a legal issue, or simply one of etiquette or something else? Just curious. Thx!
In the past unscrupulous people have made up a car using vin numbers from another . In the case of 65,66 and 67 Shelby the Ford VIN is hidden under the Shelby vin plate . The Shelby VIN is different then the Ford VIN number. The SACC registry knows which Ford VIN number goes with what Shelby VIN number. If someone  attempts to fake a car and the hidden Ford number doesn't match what is on the books it is exposed as a fake.  Since the number is hidden on the 65,66,67 year cars it is harder to fake those. If both numbers are known it is easier to fake one. The hidden number sometimes gets exposed by accident which is like the reference you have seen. I hope this helps. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jim Herrud

• SAAC Member
  • '65 GT350 Tribute, '19 GT350 Eagle ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 09:22:14 AM »
Thx Bob. That clarifies it well.
Shelby Buff.
I used to be a “Vintage Car” guy. Now I’m just a “Vintage” car guy.
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - C.S.
Straight Roads are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 02:54:51 PM »
Thanks guys.  It was a fastastic work by many including Shelby Parts, R&A Motorsport, Kuyoth for paint, etc...     If it doesnt sell would like to try t-bred but missing the battery and 4 tires.  Any leads appreciated. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 03:11:25 PM »
Thanks guys.  It was a fastastic work by many including Shelby Parts, R&A Motorsport, Kuyoth for paint, etc...     If it doesnt sell would like to try t-bred but missing the battery and 4 tires.  Any leads appreciated.
Just to help with clarification - the tires needed would be the small letter version of the Speedway and the battery would be the 65,66,67 style assemblyline battery group 24. It would need the red caps in this specific case but one with yellow caps could be easily changed. The main issue is coming up with a assemblyline group 24 case. I hope this stimulates some offers for DL .

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 03:20:59 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I was under the assuption it would take the larger battery with red caps since it had A/C.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 03:27:59 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I was under the assuption it would take the larger battery with red caps since it had A/C.
Group 24 is the larger battery. It is the largest size available in 67/68. You may be thinking of group 27 that is a even larger battery but wasn't used in a Shelby until 1969. The Group 24 65-67 assemblyline battery is so rare that even if you found one with yellow caps or even no caps ( the caps only visible difference when installed) that it could solve your needs with little trouble. 

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 03:36:48 PM »
Ok.  Just to clarify.   The 24 was the larger battery and not the smaller 22 that was assembly line on standard mustangs 65-67. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 03:52:22 PM »
Ok.  Just to clarify.   The 24 was the larger battery and not the smaller 22 that was assembly line on standard mustangs 65-67.
22 is the smaller battery that was used on smallblock  standard Mustangs 65-67 depending on options. The 22 was not used on any 390/428 equipped Mustang/Shelby from the factory.

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 03:56:29 PM »
Good info.  The 22 was used on most 66 shelbys with yellow caps as well as 67 gt350’s?