Author Topic: Do we know who restored this beauty?  (Read 13554 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Do we know who restored this beauty?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 04:02:00 PM »
Good info.  The 22 was used on most 66 shelbys with yellow caps as well as 67 gt350’s?
22 is the base battery 66 . Air conditioning cars automatically were upgraded to the 24 . I think only 4 of those . ;)  the 22 was the base battery on 67 GT350 . Upgrades to the larger 24 depended on options. For 67 GT500 options would determine if 24 yellow cap or red cap. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 04:04:40 PM »
Just to throw this out there.    Since these batteries and tires are so hard to come by will there ever be another t-bred or premier 67?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 04:25:04 PM »
Just to throw this out there.    Since these batteries and tires are so hard to come by will there ever be another t-bred or premier 67?
You can say that about any other 65-70 Shelby too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 04:27:08 PM »
True.   Only cars that seem to do it “borrow” parts. Which doesnt seem right.   

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »
I.E. Craig Jacksons 65 shelby 🙄

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 04:46:24 PM »
Rules need changed.  When you cant ‘buy’ the part somethings wrong.   As a recent judge having  original tires and wheels from another owner “borrowed” to a car pisses me off.   If the owner of the car being judged does not own the parts to his/her car its wrong. 

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 05:09:52 PM »
Rules need changed.  When you cant ‘buy’ the part somethings wrong.   As a recent judge having  original tires and wheels from another owner “borrowed” to a car pisses me off.   If the owner of the car being judged does not own the parts to his/her car its wrong.

Just throwing this out there.

If we restrict loaning, borrowing or renting parts,  what would keep someone from buying the part(s) with an agreement to resell them once finished with them?  To chase it further down the rabbit hole can we restrict the owner from removing any parts after they show the car.

We do all realize that there are no rules that require you don't even have to own the car you show. In theory (or in real life) you could rent or borrow a car to show it and get an award with it. 

Lets be honest there would be no way of policing a rule that you can't borrow parts
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 05:14:39 PM »
True.  Its a flawed system so every “award” needs further investigation.   I can get a D1 premier award but without the parts I own.  I.E. Craig Jacksons car with not his owned tires or other parts.

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 05:20:39 PM »

Just throwing this out there.

If we restrict loaning, borrowing or renting parts,  what would keep someone from buying the part(s) with an agreement to resell them once finished with them?  To chase it further down the rabbit hole can we restrict the owner from removing any parts after they show the car.

We do all realize that there are no rules that require you don't even have to own the car you show. In theory (or in real life) you could rent or borrow a car to show it and get an award with it. 

Lets be honest there would be no way of policing a rule that you can't borrow parts

I can see both sides of this argument.  On the one side you have a car that is truely the definition of "T Bred" and the owner has searched high and low for all the unobtainium parts.  Then he or she should have a vehicle that is recognized for their efforts and its originality.  If a person "borrows" those parts then returns them to only win a medal/class then he or she is only lying to themselves.  When they go to sale the car and get top money, they have to explain where the parts went or what they did or falsely tell the potential buyer it is correct as it won.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 05:25:42 PM »
Agree.  Why as SAAC judges are we overlooking borrowed parts. Its just not fair to everyone else who has played by the rules and spent $$$$ to obtain honestly the parts they need.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 05:30:37 PM »
When you say" the parts can't be bought" that is from your perspective. Others may be able to source the rare parts whether they have been collecting for decades or happen to be in the right spot at the right time . I can tell that you are frustrated because you are trying to find the parts now and can't. What about the people that have been searching for years?  As soon as you say a part is impossible to find etc. it seems like it shows up in someone's car or being sold on ebay etc. The parts are out there some where.   We have heard  for quite a few years arguments about different parts that were too hard to find and that a deduction in concours should not be there because of it. In some situations it was a matter of the person not being networked enough in the community to understand that a part could be had if you know the right person. Other times it just a matter of time on the clock checking with various unlikely or out of the way sources before the part was found. My point is I think it is too early to be changing the rules in this regard because if you did it would prematurely penalize the hard work someone else who has gone to the trouble of sourcing a hard to find part when you give others who couldn't a pass by changing the rules. Maybe the time will come before too long but it is not now IMO. The borrowing parts issue is touchy because how do you know if the parts were borrowed or not. I don't like it anymore then it appears you do.  If someone does not have loose lips how are you going to know. If you come up with a viable answer I would be interested in hearing it because the issue is something we have dealt with for decades. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:32:10 PM by Bob Gaines »

Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 05:31:24 PM »
I think the rules change should show that if a car has borrowed parts; then the award should be noted as having borrowed part.
Sort of an asterisk like Roger Maris' home runs coming in more games than Ruth.  Can't think of a newer ball player that has does the same.......don't watch professional sports anymore......not the same as in the olden days.  Yeah, I'm a grouch.
Max
‘67    0029

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 05:34:44 PM »
I think the rules change should show that if a car has borrowed parts; then the award should be noted as having borrowed part.
Sort of an asterisk like Roger Maris' home runs coming in more games than Ruth.  Can't think of a newer ball player that has does the same.......don't watch professional sports anymore......not the same as in the olden days.  Yeah, I'm a grouch.
Max
So how do you know or prove parts are borrowed?????That is the big problem other wise it would have been addressed years ago. This is not a new problem. Just new people getting into the field finding out about it.

Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 05:37:41 PM »
You probably can't but I bet there's a good chance that it isn't a total secret; ie, you mentioned networking and such does seem like it could be a way to attain/borrow parts.  Last I checked, networking involves a minimum of two people.  Of course,  good buddies wouldn't squeal.
Max
‘67    0029